The Student Room Group

Should I take a Gap Year

I have applied for uni deferred so would start in September 2021 however now because of COVID I'm not sure if I should. I have a place to do an art foundation and then was going to go backpacking. However, since being in lockdown I realised I don't miss art and miss history and English (what I am doing at uni) a lot more. I am also worried about losing all my essay skills as the course I am doing is very essay heavy. However, I might regret not going backpacking and doing art and I know it can add to a cv. Not doing a gap year however would financially help me a lot more. Is it even possible for me to cancel my defferd entry and attend uni this year?Should I take a gap year? I am extremely indeccisve.
I was in a similar position, was planning on taking a gap year and had put that on my application, but I decided partially because of Covid that I would rather go to uni this year. I only have one offer so I wrote to the admissions team at the uni and asked if I could start this year instead and they were fine with it. I was also worried about regretting not taking it but I didn't really have that many things planned and the things that I did want to do would have been cancelled by Covid anyway. I wanted to travel a bit as well but I figured that I could always try to do that during summers between uni
Reply 2
Original post by niamh2104
I was in a similar position, was planning on taking a gap year and had put that on my application, but I decided partially because of Covid that I would rather go to uni this year. I only have one offer so I wrote to the admissions team at the uni and asked if I could start this year instead and they were fine with it. I was also worried about regretting not taking it but I didn't really have that many things planned and the things that I did want to do would have been cancelled by Covid anyway. I wanted to travel a bit as well but I figured that I could always try to do that during summers between uni

Thanks this is really helpful. I think I am leaning more towards going to uni this year however I am worried about there being no freshers and doing zoom lectures.
Original post by ladyb1rd
I have applied for uni deferred so would start in September 2021 however now because of COVID I'm not sure if I should. I have a place to do an art foundation and then was going to go backpacking. However, since being in lockdown I realised I don't miss art and miss history and English (what I am doing at uni) a lot more. I am also worried about losing all my essay skills as the course I am doing is very essay heavy. However, I might regret not going backpacking and doing art and I know it can add to a cv. Not doing a gap year however would financially help me a lot more. Is it even possible for me to cancel my defferd entry and attend uni this year?Should I take a gap year? I am extremely indeccisve.

Hello @ladyb1rd,

Hope you are doing well. :smile:

I would say that the decision to take or not take a gap year is something that is completely up to you and how you feel about it. Personally I did take a gap year before starting university, even though many teachers and family did try to talk me out of the decision; I am happy to say that it is not something I regret. I was set on taking a year out before university because I was unsure about which university course I wanted to do, I found that the extra time allowed me to properly think about my future and the career path I wanted to take.

I worked in retail for half of my gap year and then spent time in the second half travelling. Having the chance to work allowed me to realise, that for me personally I did not want to be stuck in a career in the future which would be repetitive, but rather something that would challenge me daily. This realisation lead to me picking Law, which is something I had always found fascinating, but had been unsure about previously.

I do realise that for you and the current situation with the pandemic, it will be different for you. So I would like to say that if you feel as though taking a gap year is the correct thing for you to do, then you should go for it; however if you are reluctant then perhaps think a bit more about it. Try and note down the pros and cons for each option, this may allow you to be able to figure out what you truly want to do and why you want to do it.

I hope I was able to help in some way. If you have any questions or would like me to elaborate further on anything I have mentioned, then please feel free to ask. I would be more than happy to help. :smile:

All the best,

Shaf

Quick Reply

Latest