Can You Complete University Early Watch

kizzypebbles
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
At university, is it possible for someone to complete the degree a year early. Thanks
rkd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Generally, no, although there's a private university that does degrees in two years (Buckingham?). Why?
Ad-Alta
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
Um, I wouldn't think so, seeing as you wouldn't've actually completed the degree programme in time. If you're needing to take a year out for whatever reason, you should investigate this with your personal tutor and/or welfare staff.
spark911
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's a shame you can't, considering the first year is generally to see whether you're likely to mess up their ranking! Would make uni more accessible.
Ad-Alta
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
Sorry, but that makes no sense...that would basically mean you have one year left to complete a three year degree in then (as you're claiming the first year is worthless). Degrees are three/four years for a reason; because you have to work that long to reach the standard required.
rkd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ad-Alta)
Sorry, but that makes no sense...that would basically mean you have one year left to complete a three year degree in then (as you're claiming the first year is worthless). Degrees are three/four years for a reason; because you have to work that long to reach the standard required.
I think he means that since at most unis the first year doesn't count towards your degree class, you could just cut it out (and have both the remaining ones still count).
.ACS.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Though it won't be applicable to the average person, surely it would be possible for geniuses who could say complete a three or four year course in one year? If a university came across such a person, would they simply let them float along and take three/four years like everyone else, or would they push them ahead?
lazza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
wouldn't it get complicated with credit frameworks?

I thought you could only take a certain amount a year
spark911
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ad-Alta)
What rdk said.

If people can fail, resit, just about pass, and then graduate with a 2:1 or higher, the first year is not necessary. I'm not saying it is not necessary for everyone, but why should the uni hold those who would be capable of doing it in 2 years back from doing it in 2 years? I'm sure they could think up some sort of assessment for any courses this could feature in - if they really wanted to!
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The only way would be to start a year early too!
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by spark911)
What rdk said.

If people can fail, resit, just about pass, and then graduate with a 2:1 or higher, the first year is not necessary. I'm not saying it is not necessary for everyone, but why should the uni hold those who would be capable of doing it in 2 years back from doing it in 2 years? I'm sure they could think up some sort of assessment for any courses this could feature in - if they really wanted to!
Because there's zero advantage to the unviersity in pushing people forward? They gain tuition fees for every year you're studying, so why would they sacrifice that? Furthermore, that would require spotting 'high achievers' in, say, the first year, and then putting them straight into the final year - I can't imagine anyone who could go from first year to final year and not flounder.

The first year is an intro year for those going straight from A levels. Yes, it is mildly unnecessary in that they cut it out for those doing second degrees, but I still maintain that going straight from A levels to second year would be extremely difficult. Further, why would a university risk it? If they're judged on the amount of 2.1s and 1sts coming out at the end, why put that in jeopardy by accelerating students and losing money in the process?

As Alba says, if you want to finish early, start early by skipping a school year. :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (279)
27.51%
No (735)
72.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise