Name:  Post-header (003).png
Views: 48
Size:  36.7 KB

Welcome to our first TSR Answers:
Results Day and Clearing special

Live video Q&A

Thursday 6th August at 3pm

How to prepare for Results Day and Clearing

Being a student receiving grades in the middle of a global pandemic is tough. Results day is just around the corner and it will make life a lot less stressful if you’re prepared for it, whether that’s knowing what happens on the day or what to do if you don’t get the results you expected.

Want to know more about Clearing, or how you receive your calculated grades? Maybe you need more information on what to do if you miss your grades, or what adjustment is?

Watch our Q&A, where we speak to these experts:

Courteney Sheppard: Senior Customer Experience Manager at UCAS
Richard Garrett: Associate Director at Ofqual

If you want to skip through to find the questions most relevant to you then have a look at which questions we asked here:

1. Why are high achieving students at low attainment colleges being downgraded to 'fit the curve', instead of using the student’s prior exam results? 1:58 (anonymous)
2. What percent of students will have their Centre Assessed Grades lowered by more than one grade? 6:23 (anonymous)
3. What happens if universities are not flexible? Do you think that there will be a lot of competition in clearing? 9:52 (anonymous)
4. Can I call my firm choice uni and ask them to reconsider if I have contextual evidence but miss my grades? Can the CAG’s be used as contextual evidence?
5. What is the appeals process and why is there no individual right of appeal against calculated grades? What’s the best option for students who feel disadvantaged? 14:55 (asked by Mckailer)
6. How can I give myself the best chance of getting a place if I am in Clearing this year? 19:54 (asked by Student34561)
7. If a student hasn’t applied to university yet (i.e. they don’t have a personal statement or a reference and they haven’t set up their Student Finance) what do they need to do to apply to uni through Clearing? 25:24 (asked by FastCar)
8. Will there be an adjustment to the early application deadline on the 15th October (for Oxbridge, medicine etc.) to consider students who missed their grades this year and will reapply for 2021 entry but are also sitting the autumn exams? The workload of revising and reapplying could be a burden on students. 29:00 (asked by Mikos, anonymous2503
9. If resit/private candidate students are predicted higher than the grade they got previously, will they be standardised too? How would a standardisation model work when it comes to them? How does the standardisation process differ compared to first takers? 33:15 (anonymous)

If you have more questions or you need any advice or support for results day then we'll be holding another Q&A the day before results day. This one will be with UCAS, the Head of Student Support at the University of East Anglia and the National Careers Service. It will be at 3pm on 12th August, ask your questions here!

Check out our TSR Answers: Results and Clearing special hub page here!
Last edited by StrawberryDreams; 2 days ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)
Name:  Post-header (003).png
Views: 48
Size:  36.7 KB

Welcome to our first TSR Answers:
Results Day and Clearing special

Live video Q&A

Thursday 6th August at 3pm

How to prepare for Results Day and Clearing

Being a student receiving grades in the middle of a global pandemic is tough. Results day is just around the corner and it will make life a lot less stressful if you’re prepared for it, whether that’s knowing what happens on the day or what to do if you don’t get the results you expected.

Want to know more about Clearing, or how you receive your calculated grades? Maybe you need more information on what to do if you miss your grades, or what adjustment is?

In this Q&A, we’ll speak to these experts:

Courteney Sheppard: Senior Customer Experience Manager at UCAS
Richard Garrett: Associate Director at Ofqual

We are looking for some questions to kick things off, so if you have anything on your mind about how to prepare for results day or any concerns about how any processes work on the day, now will be a great time to reply in this thread with your question.

Then, come back here on Thursday 6th August at 3pm where our panelists will appear live at the top of the thread and will begin answering your questions.

Check out our TSR Answers: Results and Clearing special hub page here!
Can you please explain why high achieving students at Low attainment Colleges are being downgraded to 'fit the curve' instead of using the students prior exam results?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
What happens if unis aren't flexible? Do you think that there will be a lot of competition in clearing? I'm worried if I don't get in there will be lots of people fighting for places
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
What will happen to people who have applied for medicine who miss their grades and do the October exams? Will the deadline change so they are still able to apply for medicine next year?
Mikos
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Will there be an adjustment to the early application deadline (for Oxbridge, medicine etc.) to take into account the students who will otherwise have to complete their applications during a crucial period of preparation for/sitting these exams, such as those applying on their gap year?
Anonymous #4
Report 1 week ago
Would it be possible attend university this autumn but at the same time do the Autumn 2020 or Summer 2021 resits?
DFD62
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Could you please define what is a 'small cohort' and what sort of numbers are classed as a normal sized cohort because at my school we have class sizes of around 10 students or less?
Gwil
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you for organising this!

I am the only candidate for my subject at my exam centre. Is it still possible that I could be downgraded due to the standardisation process? If so, can I appeal on the basis that there was insufficient data to inform an adjustment to my grade?
Anonymous #5
Report 1 week ago
For candidates who are the only entry in a subject or part of very small cohorts (e.g <5 entries) will Ofqual place almost all of their weighting on the CAGs during the calculation of results? As the ‘sliding scale’ method mentioned in the Ofqual Symposium suggests that when a cohort becomes significantly small, grades cannot be calculated reliably using statistical data. Thank you 👍🏽
Equine.studies
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How can it be fair that we have no individual right of appeal against the calculated grade? The standardisation process will lower the grade of many students who deserve and can justify their CAG yet they have no way of doing so. This is surely a failure of Ofquals duty to students.
aarnat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ofqual constantly says that if students are unhappy with their grades they can sit the Autumn exams, will the exam boards take into consideration that the students (particularly current Year 13s) have been out of education for over 6 months (March-September) therefore their exam technique is not going to be as strong as it was in March? For some they have less than 2 months to prepare for an exam, I understand the Summer 2021 exams are an alternative but some might have their places tied to their exam performance.

I understand things have been uncertain but to throw around 'the students can sit the Autumn series if they are unhappy' and then take this long to release information as to how they are going to work already puts ones that plan on taking the Autumn series at a disadvantage.
Last edited by aarnat; 1 week ago
Anonymous #6
Report 1 week ago
What would it look like if I have less than 5 people taking the same exam as me at my centre and my centre started as an exam centre 2 years ago? Would my CAGs hold more value?
Anonymous #6
Report 1 week ago
What percent of students will have their CAGs lowered by more than one grade?
Anonymous #6
Report 1 week ago
If resit students are predicted higher than the grade they got earlier, will they be standardised too? Considering they have worked hard and spent another year studying. How would standardisation work when it comes to them?
Anonymous #7
Report 6 days ago
How will the standardisation of the subject be if the exam board is different from last year’s exam board?
iamUCL
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
My college has just been open for 3 years and I want to go to the university of Bristol to do mechanical and electrical engineering. I need to get an A in maths however the highest grade my college got is a B. But my cohort has better GCSE results so what is the probability that I will get an A. will it be like last year where the highest grade was a B
Anonymous #8
Report 6 days ago
If a student sits exams in the summer instead of autumn, will they have the same opportunity to have only the highest of their 2 grades on their certificate, or would this be classed as a resit?
Anonymous #8
Report 6 days ago
If a school changed exam boards for these A levels (so started teaching that specification in 2018) will the grades still be based on past attainment or was the new exam board/specification taken into account?
Anonymous #8
Report 6 days ago
How far back was looked at for previous attainment?
anonymous2503
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
The early entry deadline of 15th October ( for medicine & Oxbridge ) is not set to change according to UCAS and the Medical Schools Council, however if this is the case students wishing to apply to Medicine or Oxbridge with their October A level grades will have missed the deadline as they will not have received their new results in time meaning they will be forced into taking two consecutive gap years due to missing this application cycle. Taking two gap years is simply not possible especially for those from lower economic backgrounds. Therefore, will the early entry deadline this year be extended for the large cohort of students who want to sit the October exams and apply to Medicine / Oxbridge (2021 entry) with their new grades?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (209)
38.78%
Take autumn exams (162)
30.06%
Look for a job (19)
3.53%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.08%
Take a year out (95)
17.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
5.94%

Watched Threads