The Student Room Group

Live video Q and A: TSR Answers - Results Day support, advice and guidance

Post-header (003).png
Welcome to our second TSR Answers:
Results Day and Clearing special

Live video Q&A

Wednesday 12th August at 3pm - Catch Up now

Results Day Support, Advice and Guidance

Results Day is nearly here, and it can feel like a pretty stressful time. Are you looking after yourself? If you have any last minute questions about the Ucas process, what support will be like at uni in September or what your options are if you miss your grades - this is the Q&A for you.

UPDATE: We'll also be answering questions about using your mocks to appeal your grades. We will answer the questions as best we can, but we are still awaiting more information on Ofqual and exam boards. There is a lot we still don't know, and as this Q&A is not due to focus on grading, we'll try our best to support as much as we can. Thank you for your understanding.

In this Q&A, we’ll speak to these experts
:

Courteney Sheppard: Senior Customer Experience Manager at UCAS

Mark Ferries: Education & Awareness Coordinator at National Careers Service

Claire Pratt, Head of Student Support (Wellbeing) at the University of East Anglia (UEA)

You can catch our panelists at the top of the thread answering your questions.

Check out our TSR Answers: Results and Clearing special hub page here!
Worried about Clearing? Sign up for our free Clearing alerts :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Will the courses at UEA, like medicine, offer a deferment for candidates sitting the exams in the autumn.
If not, does this count as a ‘resit’ and a second application round - with the need to get higher grades.
Will our school's average history grades affect our grades this year to a large extent?
say you don't make the grades and both of your unis don't take you, but you appeal and in the end make the requirements instead, before the September 7 deadline as well.

can the university reject you on the grounds that they're already full and offer you entrance in next September (almost like forcing you to take a gap year)? or do they have to take us this September because they already made us an offer?
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Post-header (003).png

Live video Q&A

Wednesday 12th August at 3pm

Results Day is nearly here, and it can feel like a pretty stressful time. Are you looking after yourself? If you have any last minute questions about the Ucas process, what support will be like at uni in September or what your options are if you miss your grades - this is the Q&A for you.

:

Claire Pratt, Head of Student Support (Wellbeing) at the University of East Anglia (UEA)
We are looking for some questions to kick things off, so if you have anything on your mind about how you're feeling about results day or any concerns about your future choices or how university will work, now will be a great time to reply in this thread with your question.

Then, come back here on Wednesday 12th August at 3pm where our panelists will appear live at the top of the thread and will begin answering your questions.

I'm not sure about moving into accommodation and making friends when I get to uni - what advice would you have on doing this when there is a pandemic and it's going to be harder than normal?
I no longer wish to go to university but the admissions office is closed until results day so I cannot decline my place before then. How do I decline a place?
Reply 6
Post-header (003).png

Live video Q&A

:

We are looking for some questions to kick things off, so if you have anything on your mind about how you're feeling about results day or any concerns about your future choices or how university will work, now will be a great time to reply in this thread with your question.

Then, come back here on Wednesday 12th August at 3pm where our panelists will appear live at the top of the thread and will begin answering your questions.

Will they take as result into a account for the final grade
How will Freshers work and will it be difficult to make friends? I was worried about making friends before Coronavirus happened...
If an a-level private resit candidate is receiving grades on the basis of year 12 and 13 performance rather than the performance in the resit year (year 14), does this constitute as grounds for appealing the grade?
Hi, Im a private student applying to university and was wondering If my previous grades from last year would have an effect on my grades this year. Last year I achieved a C in Physics alevel and really wanted to get into the University of Birmingham, therefore I reapplied this year and have my firm choice as automotive engineering at UOB and mechanical engineering at UOB as my insurance. I need to achieve an A in physics to meet the requirements and im hearing students from Scotland who were predicted As were receiving grade Cs. Do you think due to me having UOB as both my options and achieving a grade B at least (ABB overall) ill be accepted into their uni?Alex
(edited 3 years ago)
Will we be able to pick and choose between which subjects we want our mock results for and which subjects we want the government grades for, or do we simply have to pick one or the other?

I'm in the tough situation where I did perfect in all my subjects except for one which I completely flopped - and that's the subject I need to go where I want to. I don't want to be in the situation where I have to sacrifice my perfect grades in order to just do well in one particular subject.
what do uni's plan to do about IB results - we've undergone the same algorithm and they're also very unfair, but the IB haven't said anything about reverting to mock grades or our coursework grades. surely there should be a unified policy treating this year's results across all qualifications?
i have resit a unit of physics this summer, will my previous grade at this unit largely affect my calculated grades this time?
Post-header (003).png

Live video Q&A

UPDATE: We'll also be answering questions about using your mocks to appeal your grades.

:

If we open track at 8am to find we've been accepted into our insurance choice, but out mock grades met the offer of our firm choice - what process would need to be followed in order to confirm our place at our firm choice instead?
Can you explain more thoroughly how we can use our mock exam results for our A-Level grades? What is the criteria, and can we use any mock exam results over the past two years or just the most recent mock exam results?
what will happen to private candidates who have been unable to receive a calculated assessment grade? would we be at a disadvantage due to recent news about other students being able to potentially achieve higher grades through the mock exam appeals?
Post-header (003).png

Live video Q&A

UPDATE: We'll also be answering questions about using your mocks to appeal your grades. We will answer the questions we can, but we are still awaiting more information on Ofqual.

:

Can we use or mocks to appeal only 1 grade or will we have to use the mocks for all 3 if we wish to appeal
If a university rejects you because you have missed their offer, however, you plan to appeal and use your mock results instead which do meet the offer, will the university have to reinstate your offer and allow you to appeal?
Assume you miss the required grades for your course but only by a little like one grade below. I’ve heard of calling up university’s to ask them to reconsider but in this case who do you call, is it admissions? And furthermore what would you say?
Reply 19
How would using mock grades to appeal our grades work for coursework heavy subjects (eg drama) where only 40% of the final grade should be based off the written exam but our mocks were 100% based off it?
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest