The Student Room Group

Live video Q and A: TSR Answers - Results Day support, advice and guidance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pantera Fan Club
How long will it take for an appeal decision to be made? Will it be too long for the new decision to apply to my current offers?

Nobody knows this right now, not even ofqual.
#BogOffGavin
Original post by roxy120702
which mocks exams are they basing it off? year 12?

That's not something that will be decided nationally. If you have a mock grade that would support an appeal of the grade you get tomorrow, that's available to use - I doubt it'll make much difference when the mock was, the grade is the important bit.
Original post by lumine
Have EPQs been marked as they normally would or are they also going though the same process as our A-Level grades? Thanks :smile:

Original post by gktriwoxswqiwj
How are EPQ grades being determined??
I can tell you that grades for previous years EPQs at schools were requested to be shared between exam boards. That tells me that there will be some kind of role that standardisation/the algorithm plays when attributing EPQ grades. I hope that the Centre-Assessed-Grade (the ones the teachers put in for you) will be given more weighting than they will for the A Level qualifications, but we don't know the details yet. :redface:
Original post by geetha0990
if my course is in clearing does that mean spaces are available and if i get the grades or slightly lower i would get in ?
If the course is in clearing, chances are that you are more likely to be awarded a near miss offer, but universities don't have to play it that way if you don't want to - so don't assume. (Sorry i couldn't get to this question on the youtube chat.)
Original post by trynalearn
CIE exams are bot regulated by Ofqual, does that mean that appealing grades with the basis of them being below mock grades will not be a possibility with CIE results?
I don't know the answer to this, but I will find someone who might.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm new to this website and can't find the video to watch :frown:, I tried clicking the bit at the top but it takes me straight back to this same page

help??

Heya - the live stream is finished now but the video should appear just above the title of this thread (where we're talking now). If you still can't see it, you could try any of these things:

Check your internet connection. Disconnecting and reconnecting can help

Try refreshing the page by using Shift+F5
Use browsers such as Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari and make sure that they're up to date
View the page in Incognito
Switch to mobile data if on mobile
Original post by mill782
If a university doesn't have a clearing vacancy for the course you want to study, will you be able to enquire and apply for it anyway, or not at all?
Also- may clearing places be deferred for 2021 entry?

Yes, some university have places in "course code only" clearing, which means they don't advertise it. Ring them up and ask, but expect the answer to be no.

I'm not too sure about deferrals on clearing offers - I think you will need to accept it if you plan on then deferring it, and the university might need to agree with the decision too. @PQ could you confirm? :colondollar:

Original post by MarcosTheories
How can small cohorts be standardised? There are 5 students in my Spanish class.

The short answer is they won't be standardised as much, and you're simply more likely to get the CAG your teachers put in (more likely than those in larger groups, put simply).
Original post by driverplayer
I have met the requirements for my insurance university. Do I need to formally reject the offer in order to go into clearing or clearing plus?

sorry if I've already answered this (I'm losing track of the posts), but yes. Also clearing and clearing plus are the same thing, except clearing plus is probably a lot slower.

1)Will the final results closely correlate to the year 12 predicted grades?
2) Is it likely to be much harder to secure a place next year for more competitive courses i.e. medicine

1) No idea, probably not.
2) A lot of factors will affect this - not least the caps on number of students imposed by the government. So too early to say at this point.

Original post by spicyspacedoggo
How likely is it to barter with Universities on accepting one A-Level at a lower grade than on their website? (E.g. for me, I need at least 3Bs to get into a course I want through Clearing, but I am anticipating A*A*C)
Also: I have special circumstances (family crisis) I wasn’t able to submit before my college shut down, will I be able to appeal using this now?

Tricky one. Depends how many places the university needs filling really. If the C grade is in the course you want to do, forget it (but I'm guessing it isn't). I'll defer to @PQ on this one too because I'm not sure.
Original post by mill782
If a university doesn't have a clearing vacancy for the course you want to study, will you be able to enquire and apply for it anyway, or not at all?
Also- may clearing places be deferred for 2021 entry?

Original post by 04MR17
Yes, some university have places in "course code only" clearing, which means they don't advertise it. Ring them up and ask, but expect the answer to be no.

I'm not too sure about deferrals on clearing offers - I think you will need to accept it if you plan on then deferring it, and the university might need to agree with the decision too. @PQ could you confirm? :colondollar:

The short answer is they won't be standardised as much, and you're simply more likely to get the CAG your teachers put in (more likely than those in larger groups, put simply).

You can defer a clearing offer - I did - but it's quite rare as the point of clearing is to fill empty places this year.
If I miss my firm grades but the university hasn’t confirmed anything on UCAS, what does that mean for my insurance? I’d obviously want my firm but does this mean I would miss my insurance place due to the wait, or is that place on hold until the firm confirms something.

it ll be on hold until your firm registers a decision, if your firm hasn't made a decision on track tomorrow morning then give them a call once you have your results to get an update.
Given the announcements made yesterday, if the official grade I get is lower than the grade awarded in my mock, can I apply solely on the basis that my mock grade was higher, and hence be awarded my mock grade instead of the official grade? Is the process really as simple as being able to appeal on the grounds that my mock was higher, and thus be given this grade?

This is the big question that we don't know the answer to. Lots of people are thinking the answer to your first question is yes, but we've yet to receive details from Ofqual. Here's their statement in the mean time:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/response-to-the-secretary-of-states-announcement-of-12-august-2020

Worth mentioning, an appeal does not mean your grade will necessarily go up at all. And if they change your grade it might still arrive at a grade different to your mocks.
Reply 109
for students taking a gap year and resitting exams but not attending classes throughout the year what grades will be used for mock exams
if you dont get the grades and you have to do a foundation year before the degree, do u have to pass it to go through
You usually need to pass the foundation year to progress onto the first year of an undergraduate course, yes. Often the pass rate is around 50/100. But you are helped considerably along the way. :smile:

Original post by AAA*
what will be appeal process be like? will all students be able to get their mock results if they wanted?
Nobody knows at all right now, and I doubt it.
See Ofqual's statement as of right now:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/response-to-the-secretary-of-states-announcement-of-12-august-2020
Original post by teraphin
Are your uni choices automatically deemed unsuccessful if you do not meet the grade / UCAS Points requirements? Or is each individual offer manually accepted / declined?

Apologies if I've answered this on a previous page, I've lost track. The second one is correct. :smile: Universities can award you with a "near miss" offer if you came close to the grades you needed. Unis don't have to do this, but many do.
Original post by Canute999
What’s happens to my uni place if I appeal

You tell the university and they'll keep the offer open and accept you if you meet their required grades. :smile:
Original post by mill782
When would October alevel 'resits' results be released

December I believe.
Does it still apply that if you sit the exams in October, and your grades from these exams are lower than what you were awarded on Results Day, can you still keep your grades awarded from Results Day?

Yes you can. :smile:
Original post by bored_user:)
Would UCAS update 15 min before 8?

Nope, only 8am this year, no "soft launch".
Original post by AAA*
i want to know how lenient the unis are going to be? when they said that the unis are going to be lenient, does that mean even if i drop one or two grades they will still accept me? Or does it mean there will be more courses available on Clearing?

Depends on the university, but many do offer places to applicants who've narrowly missed out on offers. :yep:
do competitive unis such as london school of ecnomics do clearing?

You're best checking here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6605660
Reply 112
For students taking a gap year and resitting exams but not attending school throughout the year what grades will be used for the mock grades? Will tutor grades be used?
Original post by adava
for students taking a gap year and resitting exams but not attending classes throughout the year what grades will be used for mock exams

Original post by adava
For students taking a gap year and resitting exams but not attending school throughout the year what grades will be used for the mock grades? Will tutor grades be used?

I doubt there will be legitimate mock grade for you to be able to use to be honest, but again this is something we simply don't know right now. :frown:
Original post by Agp1234
Why is England have a different logic to awarding grades than Scotland. England students are not being treated correctly.

They are each controlled by different governments I'm afraid.

Original post by sjp955
Do we need to confirm our firm place or is it automatically confirmed if we get the grades. If are thinking of taking a gap year even though we get an acceptance into our firm or insurance, until when are we allowed to wait before rejecting our offer?

Automatic, as answered here. If you are taking a gap year you are better deferring the place, not rejecting it. :smile: Then you'll be able to come back to it with a guaranteed place next year.

Original post by Brightonmama
Are there more places available at unis round the country because many students want to defer/ international students can’t come because of the pandemic? Do you think they will be more lenient with results as a consequence of this?

Deferrals are actually down compared to the average, though I suspect recent developments might change that slightly. The international students will be the big difference but we won't really know until tomorrow / later next week to understand whether more clearing places will be available and how many universities are being more lenient than usually. The government and UCAS have asked unis to be "flexible" though. Given the government's performance this week that might just involve an elaborate game of twister though.
Original post by hobinobichimchim
if we want to do the october exams, can we still reapply through ucas for medicine to go to uni in september 2021 with the grades we receive from this, or would this not work?
Yes. UCAS for the first time are allowing students to start a 2021 cycle application whilst still holding a 2020 one. You start the 2021 application with grades marked as pending for the autumn series, with the results arriving in December. It's unclear what this will look like in UCAS though.
Original post by Charlotte_jh
How long will the appeals process take and will most of the clearing courses be gone by the time the appeals process has finished.
Nobody knows at this point. :frown: :iiam:
Ofqual's statement is here:
Original post by vn1708
I'm a private candidate and I did not do any mocks. How is this fair?
It simply isn't fair. At the start of this process Ofqual and everybody else made clear that there would be winner and losers from any model of standardisation, appeals and assessments that they used. :frown:
For those sitting Autumn exams, will universities be holding their offers?
I am in international student with IB grades from May20 (which was a huge scandal and my predicted grades were downgraded by 3 points), and I missed two UK medical school offers, though not rejected yet. What is the scope for me now ?
What would you advise if I get the grades I need in order to go to University this year, but I would like to resit the exams in October anyway? How difficult would it be to balance the time between studying at University and studying for my A-Level exams?

Also, where would the exams in October take place? If I am at University, will I have to come to my college to take the exams, or can other arrangements be made?
My personal advice would be to ask why you need to to sit the autumn series? If you're attending university then you're likely to be looking for graduate jobs at the other end of it - who won't be overly fussed about your A Level grades if you've got a degree. I understand wanting to get the grade you feel you deserve, but I'm not sure that you'll still be motivated to do that while you're at university.

There's currently very little information about Autumn exam logistics.
Original post by rogdog1
If I don't get the grades my firm choice uni has required how will I know whether they will still accept me? What scope is there for communication with my firm choice uni on results day? Is it just following status on UCAS website or is there anything else I can do? When do I have to give up on my firm choice uni and turn to clearing, if appropriate? Thanks
If UCAS Track shows as you've been accepted onto your insurance course, or tells you that you're in clearing, then take it that your firm has rejected you.

If UCAS Track shows as a Conditional Offer still, then follow the steps in this article:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/what-to-do-if-youre-still-being-held-as-conditional-firm-on-results-day

What do you think of the statistical model being used by ofqual to aid them in the 'fair' prediction of grades?
Do you think that disadvantaged students such as minorities or those attending public schools will be subject to bias and if so, do you think it will lead to a dramatic change in a students results? For example, if a capable student with A* predictions came from a poorly academic school, will they see a drastic difference in the grades they will be awarded, say from A* to B.
If this is the case, will it be possible to appeal the grade and will the timing of this affect any of your offers? Will colleges be more open and understanding to the new grading system?
I'd have liked to see CAG grades given a little more weighting in the larger cohorts and more closer external examination of available evidence for the students who were ranked to be on the border of the next grade up or down. I think the system is designed to replicate what usually happens each year - which is that disadvantaged students get lower grades. I don't like the fact, but it does happen every year and the claims that this algorithm punishes those who are disadvantaged is simply reinforcing the idea that this algorithm is trying to replicate what would have happened this year, as a copy of what happens every year - disadvantaged students don't perform as well on results day. :frown:

The way appeals will work is looking very vague right now. Ofqual's latest statement is here:

If you make an appeal and you were holding a university offer pre-results then let that university know, they will keep the offer open for you temporarily while you wait for the appeal outcome.
Also, I know that those who wish to resit exams in October will be allowed to choose which subjects they want to resit, however, will universities have an issue with an applicant not retaking all their subjects?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending