The Student Room Group

Parents

Is it alright for a parent to force her children to learn 7 hours a day...
No. Definitely not.
Do you mean 7 hours continuously without breaks?
Reply 2
Yup
Reply 3
And on top of that blackmail her children to anything she says otherwise says she will take our phones away and no wifi....
Original post by Anonymous
Is it alright for a parent to force her children to learn 7 hours a day...

Nope it's toxic behaviour. It just makes a child resent them more, and go against them. Children are too young to understand why parents who are strict do the things that they do, so it's not healthy to push a child, at such an early age with no reason as to why. Speaking from experience x
Reply 5
I have kind fo lost the will to live its really sometimes that bad and I feel constricted by anything I do....

Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
Nope it's toxic behaviour. It just makes a child resent them more, and go against them. Children are too young to understand why parents who are strict do the things that they do, so it's not healthy to push a child, at such an early age with no reason as to why. Speaking from experience x
Reply 6
I have never been allowed to go out with friends, never parties never talk to people over the game I play anything really
I have kind fo lost the will to live its really sometimes that bad and I feel constricted by anything I do....

I can totally relate to that. Is there anything that makes you happy, do you have a good support system (friends who help?) Even looking at inspirational quotes can help, or reading or baking anything therapeutic really helps me.
Reply 8
I have friends (well I like to think so...) but I never talk to them outside of school becuase my mum forces me to learn when I am back... So no one is that close to me.... I like playing games and she uses that against me all the time

I can totally relate to that. Is there anything that makes you happy, do you have a good support system (friends who help?) Even looking at inspirational quotes can help, or reading or baking anything therapeutic really helps me.
Is your mother the 'intensively focused on academic attainment' type of parent who decided your a level, uni and career choices before you turned 13?
Many of my school friends had one or both parents that did that, to them and all older siblings.
I have friends (well I like to think so...) but I never talk to them outside of school becuase my mum forces me to learn when I am back... So no one is that close to me.... I like playing games and she uses that against me all the time

How old are you? Do you have any relative you can trust, aunt/uncle who can maybe speak to your mum, what about your dad or an older sibling? That seems so wrong, and very emotionally harmful.
Yes....

Original post by londonmyst
Is your mother the 'intensively focused on academic attainment' type of parent who decided your a level, uni and career choices before you turned 13?
Many of my school friends had one or both parents that did that, to them and all older siblings.
How old are you? Do you have any relative you can trust, aunt/uncle who can maybe speak to your mum, what about your dad or an older sibling? That seems so wrong, and very emotionally harmful.

No I think this was a mistake Idk why I did this I am sorry guys....
Original post by londonmyst

My parents are like that, I get that most parents want their kids to have a better education and a better life overall, than what they do that I totally sympathise with. But, forcing isn't the way to go about it, stripping an individuals rights of freedom and making them miserable, isn't the way to go about it, at all.
My parents are like that, I get that most parents want their kids to have a better education and a better life overall, than what they do that I totally sympathise with. But, forcing isn't the way to go about it, stripping an individuals rights of freedom and making them miserable, isn't the way to go about it, at all.

Were your parents like mine....
the wait is like torture....
Were your parents like mine....

No, never this strict. I was obviously pushed, my siblings were not, my parents just altered how hard they pushed their children to pursue good grades based on their capability. I.e rn I'm doing A-levels, I'm getting A's in past papers, but, for my mum she isn't happy with that as she thinks if I had an A* in at least one subject then I'd be better off, but if my brother was to get a C she wouldn't say anything to him, because he isn't as studious as me. So in that sense, they alter it to how much potential me or my siblings have. Still safe to say, that yeah they'd nag me to revise but I'm allowed to hang out with friends, not like every day or every week or something, they wouldn't allow that. I have restrictions too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending