The Student Room Group

What can I do to boost my Mechanical Engineering Personal Statement?

I am considering applying to do mechanical engineering at university and I will have to write my personal statement before January 2021. I didn't think I would do engineering until recently so I have very little to show that I actually want to study the subject and that I understand what the subject involves. Could I please get some advice on what background reading I should be doing, what books and podcasts could give me a better understanding of mechanical engineering? Also my school keeps telling us to do a MOOC does anybody know any good ones on this topic?
Thanks,
James
Original post by Jmcbreen
I am considering applying to do mechanical engineering at university and I will have to write my personal statement before January 2021. I didn't think I would do engineering until recently so I have very little to show that I actually want to study the subject and that I understand what the subject involves. Could I please get some advice on what background reading I should be doing, what books and podcasts could give me a better understanding of mechanical engineering? Also my school keeps telling us to do a MOOC does anybody know any good ones on this topic?
Thanks,
James

What sort of hobbies do you have? You don;t need a vast amount of 'stuff' if you can demonstrate interest in how things work.

https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/mechanical-engineering

Ideally chose a university course with a year in industry - the newer universities tend to prepare you better for the workplace.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
What sort of hobbies do you have? You don;t need a vast amount of 'stuff' if you can demonstrate interest in how things work.

https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/mechanical-engineering

Ideally chose a university course with a year in industry - the newer universities tend to prepare you better for the workplace.

Thanks,
I have quite a few things that I can put on my personal statement like sport and music, however I have nothing engineering related and no hobbies that can demonstrate that I am interested in how things work as engineering has only recently come to my interest. What might I be able to use as 'evidence' to show that I am interested, and actually show me if I am interested, I just don't know where to start.
Thanks,
I have quite a few things that I can put on my personal statement like sport and music, however I have nothing engineering related and no hobbies that can demonstrate that I am interested in how things work as engineering has only recently come to my interest. What might I be able to use as 'evidence' to show that I am interested, and actually show me if I am interested, I just don't know where to start.

Think of the skills involved in sport and music - team work, managing time etc

Did you play with LEGO, design stuff, take things apart etc? Do you drive?

Most people 'discover' Engineering quite late on and won't have work experience so it isn't necessary .. think laterally!
Thanks,

Check out the uni websites for introductory texts, or search for online courses. There will be lots of options :smile:
Thanks,
James

Unis dont expect work expereince and what not for engineering (and TBH your grades are more important), but just show an interest in the subject perhaps a hobby you enjoy or just a book or paper related to engineering that you find really interesting.
Original post by yaseen1000
Russell Group Guide are offering free personal statement help , this is their page www.facebook.com/RGguide

RG is irrelevant for engineering ... I think the secure area here is better.
I am in a similar situation
I didn't realise engineering was what i wanted to do until recently
I have been trying to find articles, magazines etc to talk about
Reply 8
I'm in a similar situation too but I have a greater interest in motorsport engineering than mechanical (but I'd probs apply for both)
There's this documentary on Amazon Prime called Richard Hammond's Engineering Connections.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending