Working in Japan with a UK medical qualification?

Watch this thread
mikay1408
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello! I’ve previously done a lot of research into this topic but I’d love to hear from experts and people who have gone through this experience. It is tough to find the answers and I often feel alone, but I know there must be others in a similar situation to me.

I am a japanese citizen however I grew up in the British system, graduating with A levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths). It seemed fit for me to to study in the UK even though I am Japanese, thus made the decision to study Medicine at the University of Birmingham in September 2020 after a gap year. I want to study in the UK because I believe the education there is of a high standard and it would’ve been difficult for me to learn everything I had learnt during A levels in Japanese or even get into a Japanese Medical School. I am fluent in Japanese but the medical terms required I am not familiar with.

I am aware that it is difficult to work as a foreign doctor in Japan. But I would like to one day work in my home country. What would that journey look like? Even with the required transferring of qualifications and medical/language examinations, would I only be able to treat foreign doctors?

I know it is difficult to predict what the world would be like in around 10 years time (when I graduate medical school). My father believed Japan would be more open to foreign doctors but with the recent coronavirus, countries seem to be leaning towards an internalised local focus.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.
username2825764
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...%20nationality.

Currently, doctors from the U.S., the U.K., France and Singapore can practice in Japan without a Japanese medical license under bilateral agreements with those nations, but they can only see patients of their own nationality.
You would need a japanese medical license which involves sitting an exam. You would need to have near fluent level of Japanese to pass it.
mikay1408
Rep:
Hi MalcolmX,

Thank you for your response.

In the article it states that doctors ‘can practice in Japan without a Japanese medical license under bilateral agreements with those nations’ but they are limited to treating their own nationality. However with a japanese medical license, are you able to treat Japanese patients?
Siberiaan
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
But why
username2825764
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mikay1408)
Hi MalcolmX,

Thank you for your response.

In the article it states that doctors ‘can practice in Japan without a Japanese medical license under bilateral agreements with those nations’ but they are limited to treating their own nationality. However with a japanese medical license, are you able to treat Japanese patients?
i assume so, but i cannot be sure because there isn't much written about the process of foreigners getting a japanese medical license.
mikay1408
Rep:
TSR Mustafa

This was my original post but it didn’t send...

Hello! I’ve previously done a lot of research into this topic but I’d love to hear from experts and people who have gone through this experience. It is tough to find the answers and I often feel alone, but I know there must be others in a similar situation to me.

I am a japanese citizen however I grew up in the British system, graduating with A levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths). It seemed fit for me to to study in the UK even though I am Japanese, thus made the decision to study Medicine at the University of Birmingham in September 2020 after a gap year. I want to study in the UK because I believe the education there is of a high standard and it would’ve been difficult for me to learn everything I had learnt during A levels in Japanese or even get into a Japanese Medical School. I am fluent in Japanese but the medical terms required I am not familiar with.

I am aware that it is difficult to work as a foreign doctor in Japan. But I would like to one day work in my home country. What would that journey look like? Even with the required transferring of qualifications and medical/language examinations, would I only be able to treat foreign doctors?

I know it is difficult to predict what the world would be like in around 10 years time (when I graduate medical school). My father believed Japan would be more open to foreign doctors but with the recent coronavirus, countries seem to be leaning towards an internalised local focus.

mikay1408
Rep:
MalcolmX

Right... I am having this exact issue. There is a lack of information about this process
mikay1408
Rep:

username2825764
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mikay1408)
MalcolmX

Right... I am having this exact issue. There is a lack of information about this process
i think you should contact the japanese medical association. https://www.med.or.jp/

they will probably have more information.
mikay1408
Rep:
(Original post by MalcolmX)
i think you should contact the japanese medical association. https://www.med.or.jp/

they will probably have more information.
Seems like a wise thing to do. Thank you very much for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (57)
34.55%
The paper was reasonable (65)
39.39%
Not feeling great about that exam... (27)
16.36%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.7%

Watched Threads