"i can only cope with listening to you practice certain instruments" Watch

beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
omg i massively need to rant

i do a lot of rants on other websites..i shall try my v best to curb my language for this one lol

ok so im practicing my recorder grade 1 pieces and i'm doing well even though i say so myself

and my dad's says really irritably "knock that on the head kate" (which is his way of saying "stop playing"

this is massively annoying/upsetting/frustrating for me as a musician who constantly wants to learn new things

because he often asks me if i'll go an play the piano for him..he likes listening to that.

but when i practice the instruments that i'm still learning on (so thus have a smaller repetorie and it sounds more like a practice than a preformance), i sense that he gets really cheesed off: so i have this problem with all the things that aren't piano: always with violin and recorder and occasionally with sax because i'm not so good as i used to be. And singing is something i never do infront of my parents because I'm builiding up my confidence with that one but i don't want it knocked by being told to shup up...plus i don't like to show emotion in from of my folks (long story lol)

so yeah, i equate it to be as good as saying "i'll support you to play an instrument, but only so long as it's one i want you to do"

in fairness, my folks have put a lot of money, time, transport and interest into my music education in many respects but this has really offended me and hurt my feelings, as i said to him "i used to sound ****** at piano, you can't be instantly good at something"

goddamnit!!! instrumental prejudice or what?!?!!?

i would imagine that so many people quit because people don't give them the confidence in practice, to allow the person to be "bad" at the instrument, knowing that it's all part of the process..gggrrrr such ignorance!!

i hope you lovelies can relate..this has really sparked me off and i'm blummin cheesed now (and thats an edit for TSR lol)

Laura xx
tinkerbellejess
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My dad hated the recorder so when we were all learning it at school he never let us practice!

I found that with uni people too, piccolo was never as welcomed as my flute playing! lol
=nuke=
Badges: 11
Report 10 years ago
To be honest, the recorder is one of the ugliest-sounding instruments I can think of so I wouldn't be too happy either. :p:

It's a shame you haven't got anywhere to practice though.
username196545
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Last time I practised the viola my parents shut the door :mad:

And it's my only instrument too!
zoe1989
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my dad hated the sound of the recorder too, by the time I'd got to grade 5 I think he'd given up hope though especially when I started playing treble and tenor....mwhahaha
shamrock92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know how you feel OP, my dad makes me stop playing my violin whenever he's in the house, and I'm going for a diploma so I need the practice big time
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
thanks people

i read your replies with a sense of relief and empathy *hugs*

when i go back to uni i'll use a practice room i think

good luck with the diploma shamrock92

i hope we all manage to get that necessary practice in either way

cheers peeps xx
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do you have a plastic recorder or a wooden one? Wooden ones will always sound nicer than plastic so that might help?
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
plastic...my mums got a wooden one and it sounds ace! need to get one big style lol! thanks
ukebert
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know how you feel, I'm trying to learn the Puerto rican Cuatro, which is rather difficult, being about as far away from the uke as you can possibly get. It's big, reverberant, double coursed and steel strung. My sister hates it and always yells at me to stop
joekang
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can relate to what your saying, but I think what you should try to explain to your parents is:

Practise =\= Performance

You practise to get better, not for other people to listen to.
Having said that though, listening to someone practise something that they're not very good at yet is horrible. :p:

My clarinet practise sounds horrible, but my parents don't usually complain about it, since they encouraged me to play in the first place.
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
credit coming your way joekang...

you hit the nail on the head there...so many people forget that a practice is just that and NOT a performance..

i think in many ways, this is why a lot of people give up, they practice when other people are around and are made to feel bad because the people around them aren't clued up enough to appreciate that not every practice will be that desirable to listen to

i blame tv...when lisa simpson practices her sax she never sounds bad lol
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tinkerbellejess)
My dad hated the recorder so when we were all learning it at school he never let us practice!

I found that with uni people too, piccolo was never as welcomed as my flute playing! lol
That's because piccolo makes your ears bleed if it goes on for too long. :p:

Practice on any instrument is never going to sound amazing - that's why it's practice! I pity my parents who on occasion had to put up with up to 4 hours a night from me and my sister on our various instruments.
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
hehe yeah, the more musicians in the house and the more instruments they play....hehe

im glad my electric piano has a volume control lol
zoe1989
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by laurakate1988)
hehe yeah, the more musicians in the house and the more instruments they play....hehe

im glad my electric piano has a volume control lol
my piano isnt electric....the cries of despair of 'for ****s sake not again!' that come from the neighbours is quite amusing :p:
xAllTheRagex
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I always get told to turn my guitar amp down. Can't bear to think what would happen if I had a drum kit. Hah.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by zoe1989)
my piano isnt electric....the cries of despair of 'for ****s sake not again!' that come from the neighbours is quite amusing :p:
I dread to think what our neighbours must have thought of us. We finally got an electric piano when my sister was preparing for Grade 8. With headphones. Bliss!
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
hehe, does anyone else get less out of practicing if, in the back of their minds they know there are people around them groaning about it

like for me, it doesn't feel like it's me and the instrument anymore, but me, the instrument, and the critics...which of course massively distracts me from having a productive session of practice (ironic really lol)
ukebert
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by laurakate1988)
hehe, does anyone else get less out of practicing if, in the back of their minds they know there are people around them groaning about it

like for me, it doesn't feel like it's me and the instrument anymore, but me, the instrument, and the critics...which of course massively distracts me from having a productive session of practice (ironic really lol)
I quite like thinking that I'm annoying people ;ninja: I try and make it as loud and well played as possible, inflict some culture on them :p:
tinkerbellejess
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
That's because piccolo makes your ears bleed if it goes on for too long. :p:
definitely! That's why I rarely practice it now the novelty's worn off, solo piccolo is never going to be easy on the ears!

I'm also very conscious of practicing as I live in a flat and always think I'm annoying people, but no one's complained yet! I just try not to practice too excessively at home unless I've got an exam or performance coming up, although that's easier said than done!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.89%
No - I got the required grades (105)
58.33%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.78%

Watched Threads