The Student Room Group

17 and 24

Hi I’m 17 and met this guy like a few months ago we clicked straight away and have been close ever since but things have started to progress but he’s 24 and has a kid ?? if we was to be in a relationship is this weird ?
Good news is that he’s probably matured by now. Bad news is that going from 17-24 is a rollercoaster. University, college, moving out, friends moving away etc.
Your environment, mentality, and personality will change a lot during that time. You may not even like or need the same things in someone by 24.

That being said, life is about emotion. You should give it a go if it feels right and try not to overthink. The important thing it to make sure you come out of it (if you do) a better and happier person.

The only relationship that truly matters is the relationship with yourself. “Treat yourself like someone you love” -Adam Roa
Original post by Anonymous
Good news is that he’s probably matured by now. Bad news is that going from 17-24 is a rollercoaster. University, college, moving out, friends moving away etc.
Your environment, mentality, and personality will change a lot during that time. You may not even like or need the same things in someone by 24.

That being said, life is about emotion. You should give it a go if it feels right and try not to overthink. The important thing it to make sure you come out of it (if you do) a better and happier person.

The only relationship that truly matters is the relationship with yourself. “Treat yourself like someone you love” -Adam Roa

Also, be considerate of the child.

Nothing worse than explaining to a child why they can no longer connect to the other half of a broken down relationship.
17 year olds and 24 year olds tend to want different things out of a relationship. Especially because there is a child involved you should be really sure you want to be with them before starting a relationship.
I think you should find someone closer to your own age who doesn’t have a child. It’s a lot to take on at any age. Enjoy being young and free.
Original post by YaliaV
I think you should find someone closer to your own age who doesn’t have a child. It’s a lot to take on at any age. Enjoy being young and free.

Strongly agree! You are so young and just enjoy your life
I would say that it seems unusual at the least - this may sound condescending but at 17, you are still in your most formative years. I think committing to a relationship with someone that much older, who had a child, which is something potentially very difficult to deal with at that stage probably isn't going to be the best situation.
I'm 21, so three years younger than the person you're interested in, and wouldn't consider dating a 17 year old. I definitely think he's too old for you, and I'd question what he wants out of the relationship (and why he can't seek one from someone closer in age to himself). It's true that age gap relationships aren't so bad as you get older but there is SO much maturing you have to do between 17 and 24, as others have pointed out. Please be careful, whatever decision you end up making.
You're 17, he's 24. That's wrong.
Trust your gut instinct and what your feelings are telling you about whether you are happy to be dating a guy with a child. :smile:

I've always dated guys older than me, usually with an age gap of 15 years+.
As a 16-17 year old I dated guys in their 50s and 30s.
But I don't date guys with any children or who have been divorced.
17 is way too young to take on someone else's child, even if you don't really perform a mother/guardian role the time you spend with this guy will revolve around his kid. Even without the child, 17 and 24 is a big gap. He's an adult and you're a teenager most likely still in school or college.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending