driving on the motorway for the first time

Watch
Articultr
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
so despite passing my driving test 2 years ago I've yet to actually drive on the motorway. I'm quite a nervous driver so have only really stuck to driving in my home town. I'm visiting a friend tomorrow and will be on the motorway for around 2 hours on my own. I'm feeling okay as I've looked up the route and checked when I need to leave the motorway but just wondering if anyone has any tips for me? I think I know 'motorway etiquette' but any tips or things I should remember would be great
tmr19
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Articultr)
so despite passing my driving test 2 years ago I've yet to actually drive on the motorway. I'm quite a nervous driver so have only really stuck to driving in my home town. I'm visiting a friend tomorrow and will be on the motorway for around 2 hours on my own. I'm feeling okay as I've looked up the route and checked when I need to leave the motorway but just wondering if anyone has any tips for me? I think I know 'motorway etiquette' but any tips or things I should remember would be great
As a semi experienced driver (2 years, 25k miles), these are some things I notice people doing wrong on motorways:

1. Midlane hogging - If you're not passing a junction/sliplane, or overtaking slower vehicles MOVE OVER. It's irritating as hell to see someone doing 60mph in the centre lane when the motorway's empty. It's dangerous as well, as it forces all the faster moving traffic into the right lane, creating lane changes and manouvres that needn't happen if people just kept lane discipline.

2. Drive AT the speed limit - Driving slow does nothing but cause danger for yourself and other road users. You're much safer at 70 (+!) and keeping with traffic, than you are at <65 and causing people to tailgate and slam on their brakes behind you.

Same with entering the motorway, have confidence and get up to speed ASAP, entering the flow of traffic slowly is really dangerous and will do nothing but piss people off.

3. Check your mirrors regularly - At 70-90mph, cars can close very quickly and appear when you don't expect them. I've been going down the right lane at ~80mph and had someone pull in front of me numerous times; they had absolutely no clue I was there.

Basically, just have confidence. You're far less likely to get into an accident per mile travelled on a motorway than any other road type. Just remember than everything happens much quicker on a motorway so you need to keep your eyes scanning 500m+ ahead of you. Remember than a small fender bender at 30mph can become a very serious accident at motorway speeds.
bambi1425
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
mirrors, speed and lane management
mirrors: check them, especially when entering/passing entrance onto the motorway and changing lane.
Speed, keep at 60-70 depending on which lane (i was following my dad who was in a motorohme first time on my own on the motorway and we were going 65 ish in the 'slow' lane lorries go about this speed/ faster at hills (to get up them))
lane management, if the lane on your left is free and you aren't catching up the car in front at speed go in that lane.
And then just general awareness

hope you don't fin it too bad!
Articultr
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
thank you both this is super helpful! I will probably spend most of my time in the left lane tbh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads