The Student Room Group

AHP to Graduate Entry Medicine

Hi everyone,

So I am currently doing an Allied Healthcare Professions course (Dietetics) and I'm wondering if anyone here is applying to GEM from an AHP background? I am considering applying to GEM after my degree, but I'm not sure whether to work for a few years as a dietitian and then apply, or to apply in the third year of my degree. I worry that admissions will be confused as to why I pursued dietetics and have suddenly changed my mind if I don't work as one to begin with or if they will understand as it is normal to change your mind about these things. I also worry that my degree is being obtained from a met uni and admissions will also see this as a negative. Dropping out is not an option as my level 3 qualification doesn't allow for direct application to undergrad medicine and tbh I like the idea of gaining experience through another degree of being in a healthcare setting and studying for a degree before pursuing medicine.

TIA.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous061299
Hi everyone,

So I am currently doing an Allied Healthcare Professions course (Dietetics) and I'm wondering if anyone here is applying to GEM from an AHP background? I am considering applying to GEM after my degree, but I'm not sure whether to work for a few years as a dietitian and then apply, or to apply in the third year of my degree. I worry that admissions will be confused as to why I pursued dietetics and have suddenly changed my mind if I don't work as one to begin with or if they will understand as it is normal to change your mind about these things. I also worry that my degree is being obtained from a met uni and admissions will also see this as a negative. Dropping out is not an option as my level 3 qualification doesn't allow for direct application to undergrad medicine and tbh I like the idea of gaining experience through another degree of being in a healthcare setting and studying for a degree before pursuing medicine.

TIA.

Hi :smile:

Have you seen the Graduate Entry Medicine thread? This is the one for 2020 entry, so you might be able to find people who were in a similar position to yourself but have been able to gain entry to GEM: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4894790&p=89972908&page=132#post89972908
There is also a 2021 entry thread if you wish to follow that one as well.

Generally speaking, many AHPs make similar decisions to you and change to medicine after finishing their degree so you are certainly not alone. I don't think they would be confused as to why you pursued dietetics - people change their minds all the time as you say. Many people from non-health or science-related backgrounds do GEM nowadays. You would just need to make it clear what made you change your mind in your PS when you apply. They also will not perceive your degree negatively because you are studying at a met uni - many students do this and are still successful. You will need to work for a 2:1 ideally (this is the minimum requirement for most GEM courses).

As for when to apply, it is really up to you and your own financial situation. You'll also need to think about which admissions tests you wish to take and how long you want to commit to preparing (without it interfering with your studies too much).

Have a look through the GEM threads and consider reposting there to find people who are/have been in a similar position to yourself!

Latest

Trending

Trending