Is 6 hours a day for GCSE too much

Watch
Josh-fc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m year 10 now we’ll basically year 11 in 2 months time and I’m aiming for a minimum of all A* at gcse but trying to get all/ mostly 9s
I plan on doing 6 hours of work on a school day with a structured approach at ticking off everything on the specification that I must know
I also plan on doing atleast 10 hours on a weekend day as it’s stupid to lose so much time
I wanted to know if this is enough for like TOP grades and I mainly wanted to see how much other people are working per day and see where I fit in because if most people are doing 4 then I’ll do 8 if most people do 5 I’ll do 10 that’s my mindset
Also I DONT BURNOUT before I see all the responses saying I will I won’t

AM.TSR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's good how you're eager to do well and you say that you don't burnout, but if you do 6-10 hours of focused revision everyday... I'm pretty sure you will. Give it a go and see what happens.
Alexa Webster
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I revised during Easter of year 11 and I was fine. Don’t stress like that about GCSEs
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's just unnecessary, I never revised 6 hours in a day in my life
Josh-fc
Rep:
?
I have been everyday over the summer and lockdown and I enjoy it I enjoy having to push myself to do things others think is just mental
Josh-fc
Rep:
?
I get that but I’m aiming for all 9s not just passing or 7s so I can’t just start working 3 months before
hope1279
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do as much revising as you want. It'll help you get the grades you want but make sure you make time for friends too. If they've got the same goals as you maybe try revising together. Just try not to stress yourself out. Good luck
ffffffffyu8gyui
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Josh-fc)
I’m year 10 now we’ll basically year 11 in 2 months time and I’m aiming for a minimum of all A* at gcse but trying to get all/ mostly 9s
I plan on doing 6 hours of work on a school day with a structured approach at ticking off everything on the specification that I must know
I also plan on doing atleast 10 hours on a weekend day as it’s stupid to lose so much time
I wanted to know if this is enough for like TOP grades and I mainly wanted to see how much other people are working per day and see where I fit in because if most people are doing 4 then I’ll do 8 if most people do 5 I’ll do 10 that’s my mindset
I was in the exact same position as you. I planned to do that amount of work on school days and weekend and also I believed I wouldn’t burn out. Trust me though you will !!! The problem is by the time mocks and actual GCSEs come around you will be quite tired and you may be unable to study that much when it counts the most . Everyone believes they will be able to study very efficiently for the whole year but trust me mate we are all human and we all burn out. Year 11 is pretty stressful and you may have less time than you think so please remember to have breaks!
Cassey2002
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I did 6 hour days on weekends and holidays for GCSEs. It definitely helped but I was also REALLY behind because of health issues in year 10. If you do 6-10 hours With no breaks you will probably burn out. I tended to do 6 hours for most days in the week and the 4 hours on Sunday or took it off. That might be a b more of a half way horse if you still want to push yourself? I also started that at Xmas but again, I was behind so if your on top of everything ( trust me, if you keep on top of your work throughout the year, make notes after lesson ect the you won’t fall behind) then starting something like that between Feb half term and Easter should be fine. Also, it’s great that you want to do really well, but even if you do t get all A* it’s not that bad- unis rend to look mostly at Alevels, so don’t add extra pressure to yourself when you don’t need to. I’d just aim to work as hard as comfortably possible, do your best and (since you seem like a hard worker) you should still do well, just without some of the unnecessary stress
physicsamor
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
2 hours on weekdays.
4 hours on weekends.

It's not how long you spend revising at the end of the day it's how much you can absorb and learn in any set time period.
rxyaltyx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
you should take regular breaks tho
Yas031119
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i only rlly did 3 hours a day (my brain stops after like 2 hours of revision) when it was around march of yr11, i didn't do anything at alll bcuz i was pretty much lazy in yr 11, until around feb-march and it was fine
nikhil_a
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Trust me, you don't need to work this much in year 11, never mind year 10, to get the grades you want. Be smart - there's no point setting a time target because you haven't set any efficiency targets. Little and often is ALWAYS better than the sort of timetable you're talking about.

And if you're spending that 6 hours a day efficiently, you will burn out. I used to share your opinion, but you're still human and there's only so long you can go at that pace.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (192)
33.28%
Receiving them online / by email (289)
50.09%
I still don't know (96)
16.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise