Who's taking their JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) this December? Watch

DominF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well, let's hear it. I'm sure some of you must be. I've just finished filling out the paperwork, gonna attempt to drop it off in person tomorrow. I decided to attempt to skip level 4 and go for 3 (despite only starting to learn kanji today).

So, anyone else? I'm hoping you'll be able to share some revision techniques.
nikki
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was thinking of doing level 4 to see if it's as easy as people claim.
gaijin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Moi. Level 2. And I shall fail it miserably. Its just the kanji that are letting me down.

Level 4 is a piece of piss though. The jump from 3 to 2 is the biggest.
olliecapehorn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Me! Level 3 I think... Maybe level 2...
gaijin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The problem with the JLPT in the higher levels is that is teaches you pointless grammar not even a Japanese person uses. Its very good if you want to know how to write fancy Japanese but its practically useless at times.
DominF
Rep:
?
How to people generally go about revising for this? I started the day I started this thread and am learning 10 kanji a day with their on and kun readings, I know there's a lot more to the test though. Also, if you're self taught as I am, can you just leave the section about where you learned/learn Japanese blank?
Rubberband
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gaijin)
Moi. Level 2. And I shall fail it miserably. Its just the kanji that are letting me down.

Level 4 is a piece of piss though. The jump from 3 to 2 is the biggest.
I agree, the gap is huge. I passed my level 3 last year, and 2 is still far in the distance. They're introducing an intermediary stage though, I can't remember whether it's being implemented next year or the year after.
DominF
Rep:
?
I think it was meant to be implemented next year but now has been postponed to 2010.
gaijin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah its N1 to N5 now.

N5 - Level 4.
N4 - Level 3
N3 - Level 3.5 (lol)
N2 - Level 2
N1 - Level 1 (but harder apparently.)

One good thing is that they are now offering it in July as well as December, so hopefully this gives me more time to practise for N1. I think I'll be aiming to sit my N1 exam in July 2011 after graduation.... in Japan (!!!) :woo:

Anyways, good luck with the prep guys. I am nowhere near Level 2 right now, probably somewhere in the middle, but if I can get 40% I will jump around a like a crazy guy.
princessmarisa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am wanting to take the level 4, or N5 now looking at the above post! What is the story with this, is it starting 2009 it is 5levesl twice a year?

I'll be taking the easiest one anyway! Next year, I am no where near ready for this December, but might be by the next round of exams, ganbaru

I know the meanings of the kanji and most of the pronunciation for them, as well as the grammar for the level, just don't have (anywhere near) enough vocab. I suck at vocab, it is so hard to cram so many words in ><

Here is a good site to give you an idea how hard the thing seems to be for other JLPT noobies
www.kanjistep.com

http://www.kanjistep.com/en/online/w...est/intro.html is the placement test, made me realise how hard 4 is, before i got any ideas of jumping to 3
gaijin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maybe you can only do the July exam in Japan? Not too sure.

The thing what made that level 4 thing so hard was that everything was written in kana. I'm so used to seeing things like 'post office' written in kanji.
Rubberband
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by princessmarisa)
I am wanting to take the level 4, or N5 now looking at the above post! What is the story with this, is it starting 2009 it is 5levesl twice a year?

I'll be taking the easiest one anyway! Next year, I am no where near ready for this December, but might be by the next round of exams, ganbaru

I know the meanings of the kanji and most of the pronunciation for them, as well as the grammar for the level, just don't have (anywhere near) enough vocab. I suck at vocab, it is so hard to cram so many words in ><

Here is a good site to give you an idea how hard the thing seems to be for other JLPT noobies
www.kanjistep.com

http://www.kanjistep.com/en/online/w...est/intro.html is the placement test, made me realise how hard 4 is, before i got any ideas of jumping to 3
It's funny, vocabulary is by far the easiest thing to learn for me - I know loads of pretty random words for my level, but my grammar is and always has been considerably erratic. Have you tried using a spaced repetition programme for learning your vocab? Anki is a good, free one, and there's videos on that page showing you how to use it. Beats covering every item in your house with post-it notes.

I believe (don't quote me on it!) the July/December thing is being introduced just in Japan next year, then worldwide the year after.
princessmarisa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gaijin)
Maybe you can only do the July exam in Japan? Not too sure.

The thing what made that level 4 thing so hard was that everything was written in kana. I'm so used to seeing things like 'post office' written in kanji.
When i did the online test all the kana with no spacing friend my brain too, even if i couldn't read half the kanji you can kinda figure out what they might be hinting at from radicals, but when it is all in kana in a big long line :confused:

thanks rubberband for the vocab tip ill look it up.
nikki
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rubberband)
It's funny, vocabulary is by far the easiest thing to learn for me - I know loads of pretty random words for my level, but my grammar is and always has been considerably erratic. Have you tried using a spaced repetition programme for learning your vocab? Anki is a good, free one, and there's videos on that page showing you how to use it. Beats covering every item in your house with post-it notes.

I believe (don't quote me on it!) the July/December thing is being introduced just in Japan next year, then worldwide the year after.
I soooo second the suggestion to use Anki. I started using it about two or three weeks ago and I can already remember loads more words. I went from about 20% on that placement test linked earlier to 65% just now (including 100% for the nouns, adjectives and adverbs sections :woo:). I've always been horrendously bad at learning vocabulary both in the way I learnt them and how often I revised them, but now Anki does all the organisation for me, I just have to import a list of words and remember them when they appear :yep:
JaPi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm going to take a shot at level two, but any confidence in my passing it is horribly misplaced. By December I could be good enough with the kanji, but the words and their meanings will no doubt leave me stumped. I need to look at some of the more complex grammar too. But I will be at SOAS anyway, so its not like I have to worry about getting down there for once.
I need to hurry up with the application form though, I've been sitting on it for the past week.
TMDaines
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JaPi)
I'm going to take a shot at level two, but any confidence in my passing it is horribly misplaced. By December I could be good enough with the kanji, but the words and their meanings will no doubt leave me stumped. I need to look at some of the more complex grammar too. But I will be at SOAS anyway, so its not like I have to worry about getting down there for once.
I need to hurry up with the application form though, I've been sitting on it for the past week.
If you're already at Level 2/3 why on Earth are you going to start a new degree in Japanese? It seems like a total waste of time, effort and money.
JaPi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TMDaines)
If you're already at Level 2/3 why on Earth are you going to start a new degree in Japanese? It seems like a total waste of time, effort and money.
I'll start from year 2.
TMDaines
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JaPi)
I'll start from year 2.
Even so. From what I understand most are only at level 2 after the full four years of the degree anyway, so again - won't you just be wasting your time?
gaijin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Even so. From what I understand most are only at level 2 after the full four years of the degree anyway, so again - won't you just be wasting your time?
You're kidding me right? I am expected to be at level 2 by end of this year.
JaPi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, no. And stop spreading viscous rumours about the quality of teaching at SOAS in front of the Sheffield lot. :mad:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (295)
26.04%
Yes - they're famous (288)
25.42%