Raja12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey guys,

My stats are:

GCSE = 3 7s, 3 6s and 3 5s
A-Levels = Biology, chemistry and geography (predicted= ABB or AAB)

I am thinking of applying to Economics/ Financial Economics at St Andrews through contextual offer, due to my postcode. The St Andrew website states that I am eligible for contextual offer, so only need to meet ABB requirement. How likely is it that I will get an offer? Also, does not having maths a-level put me at a disadvantage?
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Raja12)
Hey guys,

My stats are:

GCSE = 3 7s, 3 6s and 3 5s
A-Levels = Biology, chemistry and geography (predicted= ABB or AAB)

I am thinking of applying to Economics/ Financial Economics at St Andrews through contextual offer, due to my postcode. The St Andrew website states that I am eligible for contextual offer, so only need to meet ABB requirement. How likely is it that I will get an offer? Also, does not having maths a-level put me at a disadvantage?
Well, you are eligible for contextual offer, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that you will get a contextual offer. They’ll look into other stuff other than where you live (i.e. postcode).

I am a current Econ student at St Andrews, and I had to get A*AA to get in. Econ is one of the most popular - and famed - course to take at St Andrews. It is highly competitive. I don’t know anyone who got in by getting a grade below AAA, but that might be just me.

Just apply - you might get in.

Having maths at A level will really help you as Economics gets really mathematical from second year and up.
Raja12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Well, you are eligible for contextual offer, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that you will get a contextual offer. They’ll look into other stuff other than where you live (i.e. postcode).

I am a current Econ student at St Andrews, and I had to get A*AA to get in. Econ is one of the most popular - and famed - course to take at St Andrews. It is highly competitive. I don’t know anyone who got in by getting a grade below AAA, but that might be just me.

Just apply - you might get in.

Having maths at A level will really help you as Economics gets really mathematical from second year and up.
Oh right, thanks for your reply. I can do maths but i just chose not to take it with my a levels, as it would have become too difficult.

Do you think i would be disadvantaged for not having maths a level?
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
Oh right, thanks for your reply. I can do maths but i just chose not to take it with my a levels, as it would have become too difficult.

Probably not. I don’t think it’s on the required prerequisite list.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago

You will be doing integration and differentiation if you do get in.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
My daughter got an offer for Economics for 2019 entry.

The offer was AAA, but she ended up with AAB and was rejected (she got an A in Maths). She was also eligible for a contextual offer, but she didn't receive one and ended up taking a gap year.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My daughter got an offer for Economics for 2019 entry.

The offer was AAA, but she ended up with AAB and was rejected (she got an A in Maths). She was also eligible for a contextual offer, but she didn't receive one and ended up taking a gap year.
Sorry to hear that your daughter did not get in.

Yes, Economics at St Andrews is definitely one of the most sought after, and most competitive course at St Andrews. There are many students who gained A*AA at St Andrews.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (50)
22.42%
No (173)
77.58%

Watched Threads