zella_day
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi - I am a Canadian who is currently debating between the 2 universities for an LLB (I applied late). If you were in my shoes which would you pick and why?
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zella_day)
Hi - I am a Canadian who is currently debating between the 2 universities for an LLB (I applied late). If you were in my shoes which would you pick and why?
York. Its a Russell Group university and York is a much nicer city to live in than Leicester. York is a campus uni based in the city whilst Leicester is a city centre uni.
zella_day
Rep:
?
(Original post by mike23mike)
York. Its a Russell Group university and York is a much nicer city to live in than Leicester. York is a campus uni based in the city whilst Leicester is a city centre uni.
idk how this site works but do u have insta/fb or something so we can chat more if u don't mind
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would pick York too as it's a really nice city and a better uni too.

I don't have insta/fb btw (and we're not allowed to share them on TSR anyway )
Euphoria101
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’d also pick York for quite a few reasons.
Arisapo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Definitely opt for York. It's a really quaint, lovely city, while the campus is nice.

Not only does it have the advantage of being a RG, which Leicester doesn't, but York have invested a lot into law in recent years, especially with their problem based learning style.

I would opt for York 100%.
Dechante
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
York 100%
zella_day
Rep:
?
(Original post by Euphoria101)
I’d also pick York for quite a few reasons.
what reasons if you dont mind me asking?
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what reasons if you dont mind me asking?
I’ve not visited Leicester but I liked York when I went to visit a friend. Didn’t do a full on tour but it’s a nice city tbh. Different to where I live in London but it’s nice.

York’s developed their law school so quickly and is supposed to be quite notorious for their PBL system.

While I don’t think going to a non-RG will kill you, York is a highly reputable RG and it is worth considering their reputation (to a certain extent).

It’s an overall better university.
Last edited by Euphoria101; 1 year ago
zella_day
Rep:
?
Thanks for the quick response! I live in a city like London but much newer and I'm really nervous about the adjustment and culture shock I might get as York is a very country-side historic place.

do you think it'll be a big difference or a different experience?
Euphoria101
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for the quick response! I live in a city like London but much newer and I'm really nervous about the adjustment and culture shock I might get as York is a very country-side historic place.

do you think it'll be a big difference or a different experience?
I’ve only ever visited for a few days so I can’t say honestly. I live in London too, not in a hugely new/modern area but I still think there’s a huge difference. For me I don’t know, honestly I think it would be a huge culture shock but people make it work and honestly if that’s the only thing putting you off York I’d still choose them. You never know how you’ll feel when you’re there!
GillisRobbieWGS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I personally hate the look of the York style of teaching. Every week, you are given a legal problem and in your team (called a student law firm) you have to work together to solve it with independent research, scheduled sessions with your group under supervision from an academic, and very few lectures.
Leicester is honestly the better option, more classic style of teaching rather than the new "trendy and unique" way that York has
Unless you love group work then go for York!
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wow. Only one person here had anything positive to say about Leicester 😂. I don't think it's that bad, and I go there, I rate the tutors, they are very skilled lawyers, I also like the fact that there's very limited group work, the city itself leaves a lot to be desired but I can certainly think of worse places to live. It's also a respectable law school, which York is as well obviously.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
Wow. Only one person here had anything positive to say about Leicester 😂. I don't think it's that bad, and I go there, I rate the tutors, they are very skilled lawyers, I also like the fact that there's very limited group work, the city itself leaves a lot to be desired but I can certainly think of worse places to live. It's also a respectable law school, which York is as well obviously.
I don't think Leicester uni is bad at all (it sounds very good from your experience) but OP did ask which one between Leicester and York and York is one of my favourite cities
Supermature
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Like Oxford and Cambridge, York is both historic and unmistakably English and it has a natural appeal to students from abroad. It is also considered one of the safest and most pleasant places to live in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-43448590

Although a relatively new university, York 'feels' as if it's been around for much longer and includes the medieval King's Manor and 16th century Heslington Hall amongst its buildings. The rather drab 1960s buildings are softened by the lakeside setting. It also has the coveted 'Russell Group' cachet, although this might not be as important to a student from Canada.

The Law School is on the newer 'Campus East', and I would recommend anyone studying there to consider applying for accommodation in one of the colleges nearby: Goodricke, Langwith or Constantine. However, there is a very frequent shuttle bus connecting all parts of the campus with the city.

Leicester would be a fine choice but I think it's fair to say that York does feel a little more 'special'.
A9M4D
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Leicester is probably the best option for a non-RG law school. It has historical rep with employers and a long-standing, large law school. The style of teaching is traditional: large lectures then small tutorials. The lecturers for the core subjects (esp land law, contract, tort) are top tier. However, the lecturers and some tutorial leaders for the optional modules can be a hit and miss (with the exception of medical law, which can basically be a core module itself). The city itself and the campus location is really urban and built-up. But OP if you want to have some trees around you, pick oadby for first year accommodation. Also a lot of students there come from London/down south + quite a bit of Canadians.

Not sure about York law school but I have been on the campus/student accommodation. It is North Yorkshire countryside and a very different place to a city like Leicester.
immoderation1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I haven't been to York, but I am a Canadian student who did the LLB at Leicester. My advice to you completely depends on what your intentions are for your career.

Are you planning to return to Canada to practice law? There are MANY Canadians at Leicester taking that path, so there are people (students and profs) who can help you through that process. They also offer some basic Canadian law courses that may be helpful to you. Have you done an undergrad in Canada? There are a good number of Canadian students at Leicester who have (especially on the two-year LLB) which means that they are older - may be something to consider if you are older than the usual undergrad. (I'll add here that if you do want to practice in Canada, I would do everything I could to go to law school in Canada, but that's a different conversation)

If you are planning on applying for TCs or pupillage in the UK, then it is definitely important for you to read about how that process works and understand why it can be more difficult if you don't go to a RG uni. With that said, I just got a TC at a US firm in London -- after A LOT of applications, rejections and WORK. I also have friends from Leicester with TCs at MC, national and high street firms, or with Inn scholarships and pupillage. It is definitely possible - Leicester has all of the ECs you'd need to round out your CV and connections to firms and chambers; it's just up to you to work very hard and try to be at the top of everything you do.

If you do choose to go there, i wouldn't live in Oadby in first year (I did) unless it is your first undergraduate degree, maybe. Canadians tend to choose housing close to campus and the city centre.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about law at Leicester (i just made a new account as my old one didn't protect my anonymity well).
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I been to both unis on open day with my daughter.

Leicesters good but its more of a city uni, and the accommodation in Oadby student village is a 20 mins bus ride away, about 45 if you want to walk it. It still nice though. Oadbys a gorgeous village.
York had the edge though. Campus uni with a lake, away from city but a short bus journey to get there. Yorks an ex Viking city, so its got a lot of history. I dont know much about the course, but my daughter and me did used to watch a law student at York on You tube. Her name is chelsie angeles https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClv...dRXBaVCHhymXsQ so if you want to know more about Law at York, watch her
Also ive got a thread too https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6562744 which is a blog on our visits and open days we did last year with photos of both unis.
Last edited by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂; 1 year ago
TheUKAmerican
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
York. Much more prestigious for law.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GillisRobbieWGS)
I personally hate the look of the York style of teaching. Every week, you are given a legal problem and in your team (called a student law firm) you have to work together to solve it with independent research, scheduled sessions with your group under supervision from an academic, and very few lectures.
Leicester is honestly the better option, more classic style of teaching rather than the new "trendy and unique" way that York has
Unless you love group work then go for York!
I would hate that system to be honest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (9)
60%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (0)
0%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (2)
13.33%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
6.67%
I haven't started researching yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
20%

Watched Threads