University Clearing Vacancy Lists 2020

Watch
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Every year some universities publish their vacancies online before the official listings come from UCAS. While UCAS now leave vacancies available throughout July and August it's still handy to have all the links in one place.

Over the years, the wonderful PQ has pulled together the links to them in previous years in this thread, in this thread, in this thread, in this thread and in this thread. In fact, this thread is simply an updated version of the thread from last year!

Note: No listings - sometimes this is because the listings aren't available but often this is because the clearing listings look identical to their full course list. This could be true (every single course is in clearing) but it's best to double check directly and on UCAS.

DO NOT CALL ABOUT CLEARING VACANCIES UNLESS YOU ARE ALREADY HOLDING YOUR RESULTS

Scottish Listings:

Rest of UK Listings

Universities Not in Clearing

• Cambridge: No adjustment or clearing spaces. They do run a special adjustment scheme for rejected applicants meeting certain criteria, but you will have been contacted about this if eligible.
  • LSE: Do not anticipate being in clearing, but may have adjustment spaces.
  • Imperial: No clearing or adjustment spaces.
  • Oxford: Does not participate in clearing, extra, or adjustment.
  • UCL: No statement yet - occasionally limited adjustment places.
  • St Andrews: Doesn't usually have clearing spaces.
  • Durham: No clearing or adjustment spaces.

Universities to treat with caution in Clearing

• Private universities/private colleges: These universities may well make you ineligible for student loans or may charge fees in excess of the amount of loan you can get to cover tuition fees. If they offer the course you want in the environment you want the go for it, but be sure to check the small print on their fees and funding before you commit to a place.

With any university it's important to ask for and take note of names and job titles of anyone you speak to and ask them to confirm anything promised in writing.

Quick Clearing Guide
Spoiler:
Show
- Search for your subject areas/key words. There may be more than one; for example, you might find some courses listed in Biology that aren't listed in Life Sciences and vice versa.

- Note down the universities and courses that you're interested in. Then, get online and check out the websites for those universities; see if they mention the grades they want, and find out a bit more about the course e.g. does it have a compulsory year abroad or something that would put you off altogether.

- Also double check that the course is still listed as having vacancies on the uni website.

If you've got the grades and the course is still open and you fancy the university RING THEIR HOTLINE. They'll ask questions, if you match what they're after they might make you a verbal offer. Be sure to ask:
a) How long the offer is valid for
b) What accommodation is available
c) If they're running any open days over the weekend for you to visit, and whether they can hold your offer until after then

Repeat the ringing around until you're fed up of speaking. Collect a list of unis that have made you offers - DO NOT STOP AT THE FIRST OFFER.

At around 3pm, when track goes fully functional, if you've got an offer you want to take up then add it on Track.

As long as you apply within the deadlines given then your uni should confirm this place within 24 hours, usually quicker, and it will show as your new Firm Unconditional place on Track.Then you'll just need to sort out accommodation and let student finance know about the new university/course

If you spot any lists of courses in Clearing then please link them below and we'll get them added to the list.

Likewise if you come across a website of a university stating explicitly that they will not have vacancies in clearing/adjustment then please link that too.Image

UPDATE:

Durham was previously listed as being a uni to be cautious of, and it said they'd switched from 'No Vacancies' to 'Limited Early Clearing Vacancies' - this was a mistake on my part, as I'd not updated the thread correctly from previous years. They're currently listed as having no clearing or adjustment vacancies, and this has been the case for several weeks now.

Additionally, whilst they have held onto clearing applicants in previous years, this seems not to have been an issue, or at least not a prominent issue, in the last 2 - 3 years from what Lemur14 has seen when keeping an eye on this previously!
Last edited by shadowdweller; 1 week ago
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
:party:
Platypie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Question... or quite a few actually: so the courses that aren't offering clearing are predicted to be full up come results day? But with the other courses that are offering clearing now are they basically predicting that not enough places will be filled on the day? And does this mean all people who have already applied to a place in these courses will definitely be accepted even if they didn't meet there offer?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Platypie)
Question... or quite a few actually: so the courses that aren't offering clearing are predicted to be full up come results day? But with the other courses that are offering clearing now are they basically predicting that not enough places will be filled on the day? And does this mean all people who have already applied to a place in these courses will definitely be accepted even if they didn't meet there offer?
In order....
Often, yes - though some courses may be put onto clearing at a later point

Perhaps yeah - they might have free spaces already from IB or BTEC results, as well as people who've deferred etc.

No. A university might reject some people with low grades but still have that course in clearing, in such a circumstance I'd expect the grades the applicant got to be lower than the grades the course is offered in clearing.

So basically there are several possible reasons why a course is in clearing and that's no reason to make any guesses about your own offer.
Platypie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
In order....
Often, yes - though some courses may be put onto clearing at a later point

Perhaps yeah - they might have free spaces already from IB or BTEC results, as well as people who've deferred etc.

No. A university might reject some people with low grades but still have that course in clearing, in such a circumstance I'd expect the grades the applicant got to be lower than the grades the course is offered in clearing.

So basically there are several possible reasons why a course is in clearing and that's no reason to make any guesses about your own offer.
Oof my efforts of knowing are in vain once again ~ I honestly can't wait nearly 3 more weeks to know my results I think i'll perish from the waiting...
Mgdisl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I applied through clearing for Midwifery at ARU Chelmsford and was successful at interview so have been put onto a waiting list if a place becomes available.
Any idea what the likelihood of this happening? I have asked admissions but haven’t heard back as yet.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mgdisl)
I applied through clearing for Midwifery at ARU Chelmsford and was successful at interview so have been put onto a waiting list if a place becomes available.
Any idea what the likelihood of this happening? I have asked admissions but haven’t heard back as yet.
There are honestly a lot of unknowns that would affect how likely this is. Not least because the government have imposed caps on the number of students each university can take on. I know of some institutions who've made appeals for more places on Nursing & Midwifery courses so there's a lot of forces at play here. I know this might not be the answer you wanted to hear though.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
UPDATE:

Durham was previously listed as being a uni to be cautious of, and it said they'd switched from 'No Vacancies' to 'Limited Early Clearing Vacancies' - this was a mistake on my part, as I'd not updated the thread correctly from previous years. They're currently listed as having no clearing or adjustment vacancies, and this has been the case for several weeks now.

Additionally, whilst they have held onto clearing applicants in previous years, this seems not to have been an issue, or at least not a prominent issue, in the last 2 - 3 years from what Lemur14 has seen when keeping an eye on this previously!
Last edited by shadowdweller; 1 week ago
Mgdisl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
There are honestly a lot of unknowns that would affect how likely this is. Not least because the government have imposed caps on the number of students each university can take on. I know of some institutions who've made appeals for more places on Nursing & Midwifery courses so there's a lot of forces at play here. I know this might not be the answer you wanted to hear though.
No, haha. But interesting to know none the less.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Mgdisl)
Hopefully this will make it a bit more likely that a place will be available

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/ed...er-07-07-2020/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (112)
38.23%
Take autumn exams (92)
31.4%
Look for a job (9)
3.07%
Consider an apprenticeship (9)
3.07%
Take a year out (51)
17.41%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
6.83%

Watched Threads