The Student Room Group

Advice to people wanting to learn programming

I struggled for ages trying to set up the environment needed to code , pycharm and visual studios are hard to set up and tedious to work with.

My friend introduced this website to me , repl.it

This will save you a lot of time as it sets up the coding environment for you. No hastle. Just practise the concepts.
yup
i use repl too
Just checked it out, pretty cool!
Reply 3
You do not need Pycharm or VisualStudio. These are IDEs, no need for that at all.
Editors like VSCode or Sublime Text are good enough and very simple to use.
Reply 4
Original post by Mojmeer
You do not need Pycharm or VisualStudio. These are IDEs, no need for that at all.

Interesting, What is an IDE ?
Reply 5
Original post by Mojmeer

Also what do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking ?
Original post by lhh2003

Integrated Development Environment.
Reply 7
Original post by lhh2003

I think that it stands for integrated development Environment or something like that. It's an editor that sort of understands what are you up to, allows for better testing, debugging, collaboration. Has better code completion. Tends to be huge, slow and often expensive. It's really not good for beginners as it will seamlessly fix some stuff you should learn the hard way first. Visual Studio, CLion, PyCharm, Eclipse, etc...
Simple editor will do for you.
VSCode is quite universal and free, lots of tutorials in youtube.
Reply 8
Original post by lhh2003
Also what do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking ?

I work with fridge sized computers made by IBM :biggrin: My interest is toward Computational Neuroscience, modelling stuff AI etc.
Reply 9
Original post by Mojmeer
I work with fridge sized computers made by IBM :biggrin: My interest is toward Computational Neuroscience, modelling stuff AI etc.

Does this require knowledge of biology, like "neuroscience" ?
Original post by lhh2003
Does this require knowledge of biology, like "neuroscience" ?

No, and it wont help you. But that does not makes it any less interesting. It's all about the scope, you can go very deep and could be modelling the dynamics/depletion of local ions reservoirs near individual neurons. Could be working within individual Cortical Columns, individual layers abstraction. Or work on the Vision system, computation done by retinas, which is insanely complex. Disease modelling, Reverse engineering fruit fly brain. There is lot of it.
Knowledge of some of the biology helps but you can just Google most of it when needed. In really all just maths.
Original post by lhh2003
I struggled for ages trying to set up the environment needed to code , pycharm and visual studios are hard to set up and tedious to work with.

This will save you a lot of time as it sets up the coding environment for you. No hastle. Just practise the concepts.

You can go with an "all in" pre built package like Anaconda to help set up Python, an IDE, assorted tools and optional packages for scientific computing all in one go. What problem are you aiming to solve ? We use this for introductory UG teaching BTW, works fine out of the box.

https://www.anaconda.com/products/individual
Original post by lhh2003

Repl.it is good if you need to quickly test a piece of code, or for when you're learning the basics. But, when you start to get more ambitious and want to start making genuine applications, the IntelliSense and package management/tools that IDEs like Pycharm and Visual Studio offer are invaluable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending