yusraali1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi guys, so I’m interested in applying to do a PGCE for 2021 entry but teaching secondary English. The unis that I was most interested in are Kings, UCL and Oxford. However I did Psychology as my undergrad and I did English lit only up until AS. Do you think I have a chance if I apply for PGCE English? I’m also going to be working full time as a TA in a secondary school in September where I’ll be helping SEN kids with their reading, learning and in general their school work. Wondering if that would help boost my application? Do let me know guys, thanks!
Englishteacher24
Badges: 9
Report 2 weeks ago
Typically, applicants are expected to have completed a degree which is at least 50% linked to the subject they want to teach.

When I trained, I didn't know anyone on my course who hadn't completed a related degree. It is very hard to teach English, even with an undergraduate degree - there's a lot that you need to know in terms of critical theory, wider reading, analysis, SPaG and this then needs to be tailored to different year groups and different exam boards. Combining what you know and best teaching practice is hard, especially when you are learning and developing teaching skills from scratch, which is why strong subject knowledge is an asset. It's worth noting that, some of the people on my course, even though they had completed a related degree (e.g. linguistics), struggled with teaching literature.

I doubt that you would be able to get onto an English PGCE with your highest related qualification being AS-Level. I am unsure, however, what qualifications you would need to complete in order to teach English.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi @yusraali1,
the best course of actions to find out if you could be eligible is to contact your local teaching course providers and see what they say. The minimum requirement is usually an good A-level in English- maybe you could consider topping up your AS to a full A-level in English. If you show at the interview that you have the potential to become a good teacher, they might offer you a place pending the completion of a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course to boost your knowledge. To find out how they work:
https://getintoteaching.education.go...nt-ske-courses
Your experience as a TA might also help you but you probably will need at least an A-level in English.
If you need support to approach providers and exploring teaching, register to our free advisory service: https://register.getintoteaching.edu...ov.uk/register

Laure
bluebeetle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I trained alongside somebody with a psychology degree training to be an English teacher. However, she did have a full A-level and also experience tutoring English. These may be things to look into
remussjhj01
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My GCSE maths teacher had a degree in Psychology, so it's certainly possible to teach in other unrelated subjects.
However, for your own benefit, it probably would be a good idea to do a-level English lit (and lang if you can).
moso2203
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
yeah you do need a minimum a-level in english. perhaps there will be some universities that don't have that requirement - you will need to check each one individually.
yusraali1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thanks everyone, I am going to contact universities and training providers individually and see what they say. However, I think my best option would be to do a full A-level in English and a SKE course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise