Here comes trouble... Watch

Tory Dan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/7583780.stm

Suppose quite a few of you have seen this and joined the Facebook group. We must stop this tyranny and oppression once and for all!
loopylauren
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah I joined thanks to your request :p:

I don't think there is any chance in this happening at all tbh, but there is no harm in petitioning. Also no students really go out on the weekend anyway so it's not the end of the world.

Still would be **** though
Invisible Painting
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's not that you can't buy alcohol either, just from shops so going out to the pubs/union would be exactly the same anyway... Just buy the drink earlier in the week. But yeah, agree with Lauren, probably won't happen. And even if it does it won't for a long time anyway.
DCShaw
Report 10 years ago
Those politicians are basically shooting themselves in the foot and *******ting on their own doorstep at the same time. The local economy would go down for starters because people wouldnt be able to buy alcohol, plus there wouldnt be as many students comming to the town if they knew they couldnt buy their own alcohol at the weekend.

Then, they are just moving the problem of drunken yobs on the streets (is this underage teenagers?) into pubs. If they dont want drunk people on the streets or drinking on the streets, get better policing methods for starters rather then tarring everyone with the same brush!

Wheres this facebook group I can join?
loopylauren
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be honest I've never seen any trouble. The only nights that can get a bit out of hand at times are Friday and Saturday nights and that's normally the nights that the locals are out. Students never go out on those nights as they are quite poor but somehow they seem to want to try and punish us. I think they forget quite how much money we bring in.
loopylauren
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This is the group http://www.new.facebook.com/group.ph...7147916&ref=nf
Tory Dan
Rep:
?
I think everyone would agree that locals cause most of the trouble, I've never had any trouble on weekdays but at the weekend the place seems a lot darker and not as pleasant out and about, completely different atmosphere.

I would always prefer to stay top site in the Union than go to town when going out every week.
DCShaw
Report 10 years ago
Hmmm, just ban locals from the town then. See how they like it :P

It just seems like a completely stupid idea to come up with before trying different methods

Thanks for the URL
AsphyxiateD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I joined the group on Dan's request, but is there actually a petition to sign?
loopylauren
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah if I go out on a Friday or Saturday I normally go to the union.

Don't want to scare the Freshers though :p:. It's not bad in town at all. It's not one of those towns where locals hate the students it's just that weekends are more a locals night out an students go out during the week normally, which is when all the student deals are on and is much more fun
JointVenture
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
dont see the problem with it.
Tory Dan
Rep:
?
(Original post by AsphyxiateD)
I joined the group on Dan's request, but is there actually a petition to sign?
Not yet, the Liberals have started spinning the story claiming it was only an idea, a serious idea and quite possible knowing the current political situation of the council. If it did go into vote a petition would be made yes. Yes as Lauren says its not bad, your not going to get glassed or beaten up for looking at some chavs shirt the wrong way like in larger cities.

Union is much cheaper and funnier on a weekend with all the fancy dress and themed nights.
DCShaw
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by loopylauren)
Yeah if I go out on a Friday or Saturday I normally go to the union.

Don't want to scare the Freshers though :p:. It's not bad in town at all. It's not one of those towns where locals hate the students it's just that weekends are more a locals night out an students go out during the week normally, which is when all the student deals are on and is much more fun
Aye yeh, Bangor is apparently "far worse" for locals compared to Aber, and it isnt even that bad! You just have to know the right and wrong pubs, and steer clear of the wrong'uns!
loopylauren
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JointVenture)
dont see the problem with it.
You don't see the problem of banning under 21s from buying alcohol at weekends in a town where half the population is made up of students? I mean, yes we can buy alcohol before hand but what about impromptue parties? They will lose a hell of a lot of money and it could well stop students going and the town and uni needs the money.

Having said that I still don't think it will happen.
Invisible Painting
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I like going out on weekends less only because places are often a lot more crowded, Cambrian ect just aren't as good when you can't relax and sit down. But that said we'd generally treat the weekends the same as weekdays in terms of whether it would go out or not, it didn't really matter to us it was just another night. If we were to go out though it would be into town as opposed to union on a weekend, but that's because that's generally where we'd go anyway...
loopylauren
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tory Dan)
Union is much cheaper and funnier on a weekend with all the fancy dress and themed nights.
Chav night was quite possibly one of the best nights I had in Aber

(Original post by DCShaw)
Aye yeh, Bangor is apparently "far worse" for locals compared to Aber, and it isnt even that bad! You just have to know the right and wrong pubs, and steer clear of the wrong'uns!
Yeah Bangor has way more of a reputation for it that down in Aber. I've personally never had any problems and I don't know anyone who has. It's so much more friendly than London!
AsphyxiateD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The chavs in Aber are generally a joke, they don't phase me in the slightest. Apparently over the bridge, though, it can get pretty nasty around there... although I believe that's not technically in Aberystwyth.
JointVenture
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by loopylauren)
You don't see the problem of banning under 21s from buying alcohol at weekends in a town where half the population is made up of students? I mean, yes we can buy alcohol before hand but what about impromptue parties? They will lose a hell of a lot of money and it could well stop students going and the town and uni needs the money.

Having said that I still don't think it will happen.
As i said before, i dont see a problem.
Tory Dan
Rep:
?
(Original post by AsphyxiateD)
The chavs in Aber are generally a joke, they don't phase me in the slightest. Apparently over the bridge, though, it can get pretty nasty around there... although I believe that's not technically in Aberystwyth.
They do a give a bit of a 'your not from around these parts' look when you cross the bridge to go into The Fountain Inn...
Invisible Painting
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tory Dan)
They do a give a bit of a 'your not from around these parts' look when you cross the bridge to go into The Fountain Inn...
Well, yeah but they're right but you probably know you're from far away

And yeah, any people who you do see who are chavs are all about 14...
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.81%
No (661)
60.64%
Not really bothered about them (224)
20.55%

Watched Threads