The Student Room Group

Overtaking

Anyone here think that lorries ought to be banned from overtaking other lorries in particular areas.

Especially 2 lane motorways/roads

I timed one lorry to overtake another and it clocked up to 4 minutes with the tailback averaging a speed of around 50 mph!

What is worse was the lorry being overtaken didn't hesistate to slow down a tad to allow the overtake to be a bit quicker, why dont lorries do this?? :confused:

The tailback was crazy, but luckily some parts of the m42 made it illegal for lorries to come into lane 2. So that sorted it out a bit.

/rant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i think it is illegal, as to why they are only allowed in the left hand lane. also, my mates family own a wagon business and one of the brothers who drives for them says its incredibly annoying driving behind another wagon which is say 2mph slower than you are, so you have to see if from their point of view also.
Gosh. A whole 4 minutes added onto your journey. Just how did you cope?!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets irritated by this :biggrin:.
In fact why limit it to two lane motorways? It's annoying on 3 lane as well.
Spotty Dog
Gosh. A whole 4 minutes added onto your journey. Just how did you cope?!

Gosh, if you read carefully I say one lorry and this doesn't really tend to be the case on 2 lane roads, what do you do if 3 -4 lorries are overtaking, we are looking at around 15 mins of faffing about...oh how stressful when you right at the end of a tail and you still have lorries approaching in lane 1 :frown:
Lara C.
i think it is illegal, as to why they are only allowed in the left hand lane. also, my mates family own a wagon business and one of the brothers who drives for them says its incredibly annoying driving behind another wagon which is say 2mph slower than you are, so you have to see if from their point of view also.

Yeah I guess so, its more specifically on 2 lanes as that just really clogs it up.

I believe its 8 am to 11pm lorries can't enter lane 2 on the m42 or something like that.
My GOODNESS..other vehicles on the road overtaking at a SLOW speed...I bet you jizzed in your pants from frustration

(from me and the hitchhiker..)
anna_spanner89
My GOODNESS..other vehicles on the road overtaking at a SLOW speed...I bet you jizzed in your pants from frustration

(from me and the hitchhiker..)

I expect that comment from a woman and hitchhiker, but if you actually took the time to read the original post you would understand that really wasn't the problem :wink:
Reply 8
Bavarian Motor Works
Anyone here think that lorries ought to be banned from overtaking other lorries in particular areas.

Nope, it works fine as it is.

Bavarian Motor Works

What is worse was the lorry being overtaken didn't hesistate to slow down a tad to allow the overtake to be a bit quicker, why dont lorries do this?? :confused:

So you want other people to slow down, so you can save time yourself? Riiight.

Sorry, I don't see the point of your mini-rant. Overtaking lorries aren't really a problem.
Tofufi
Nope, it works fine as it is.

So you want other people to slow down, so you can save time yourself? Riiight.

Sorry, I don't see the point of your mini-rant. Overtaking lorries aren't really a problem.

Not from what I saw yesterday is doesn't.

Sorry what would you rather do, ponder at 50 for 4 minutes or for 30 secs?

It is merely a matter of improoving traffic flow, why do you thin lorries are banned from overtaking on most motorways in Germany ...

So it doesn't cause massive cock ups and hold ups for little reason :smile: YOu would honestly be suprised how much delay a hold up like that can cause.
Bavarian Motor Works

I timed one lorry to overtake another and it clocked up to 4 minutes with the tailback averaging a speed of around 50 mph!

The tailback was crazy, but luckily some parts of the m42 made it illegal for lorries to come into lane 2. So that sorted it out a bit.

/rant

That is what they are limited to.

Quiet time now.
Speedbird2008
That is what they are limited to.

Quiet time now.

So why cant the lorry being overtake ease of the gas a bit to allow the overtaking process quicker for the lorry overtaking.......

I am pretty sure its 56 btw :wink:
Reply 12
Bavarian Motor Works
So why cant the lorry being overtake ease of the gas a bit to allow the overtaking process quicker for the lorry overtaking.......

'Cos lorries have a lot of inertia.. they take a long time to slow down and a long time to accelerate again. Also if the truck being overtaken slows down and there's another truck behind it, that truck may then pull out to overtake as a result of it slowing down. You'd be better off asking why a lorry doing 1 or 2mph more needs to overtake - it may be because they like to sit on the limiter, I've never driven a truck so I don't know.
Reply 13
Bavarian Motor Works

So what do you want... them to slow down, or overtaking to be banned?

It doesn't bother me much, I've never exceeded 80mph anyway, cruising speed is much below that.

People these days are in far too much of a rush for their own good. Why not relax, and enjoy the journey?

Oh, and for the record, when I'm driving, if a lorry overtakes me, I will often slow down if I consider it necessary.
Reply 14
CurlyBen
'Cos lorries have a lot of inertia.. they take a long time to slow down and a long time to accelerate again. Also if the truck being overtaken slows down and there's another truck behind it, that truck may then pull out to overtake as a result of it slowing down. You'd be better off asking why a lorry doing 1 or 2mph more needs to overtake - it may be because they like to sit on the limiter, I've never driven a truck so I don't know.

Too right :biggrin:

BMW, I think you would understand if you tried driving a (truely) underpowered heavy thing like a HGV or a large bus...
At least I'm not alone in feeling that just because you can't hit your pedal to the floor for your entire journey, it isn't the end of the world!
CurlyBen

I am genuinely 98% sure that it will not take 4 mintues to go from 50 to 45 then back to 50 - acceleration and deacceleration wise only.

Other 2% based on the fact I havn't driven a lorry.

Personally I think they should be banned from over taking on 2 lane motorways.
Overtaking lorries?! ****ing hell you should see overtaking tractors!!!
Spotty Dog
At least I'm not alone in feeling that just because you can't hit your pedal to the floor for your entire journey, it isn't the end of the world!

I don't actually remember doing a kick down today..........

Once again my travelling speed isn't the problem.

Have a re-read of the original post if you still can't grasp it.
Reply 19
Bavarian Motor Works

/rant

Meh, they've to get somewhere too. Chill out. Impatient drivers are far worse than the lorries you describe.

Latest

Trending

Trending