Chance of Applying for Law? Watch

S001
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I come from a comprehensive school and would like to apply to study law at Oxford but would like to know if it is even worth applying. I did Maths, Law, Economics, History and Citizenship at AS and achieved 4A's and 1 B the B in History 6 UMS of an A and now am thinking of carrying on Law Economics and Maths to A2 are these three strong enough to apply for a Law degree at Oxford? Also I come from a school which is in one of the under 30% GCSE listings so will that make my application worse? I haven't done any work experience or gone to any of them conferences as I can't afford the conferences and experience due to me myself not applying early enough, I am going to try to get some for the October half term but I don't know whether it will be to late. Should I just not waste an option and apply some place better lol
Teebs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm going to take your post seriously, which makes a change for me, but you should really try searching for past posts or looking at stickied threads such as the 'are my grades good enough' one.

Your AS levels are fine. Carrying on the A2s you've suggested would also be fine, although as I understand it history is considered better than law (counter-intuitive as that may seem).

If you go to a bad school then it's more likely to help than hinder your application.

Work experience and conferences are completely irrelevant to your application.
soph!e
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think you should definately apply- your AS's are definately good enough. I don't know if subject suitability would be an issue- Maths is great for law (logical thinking etc). The subject tutor at my college is totally neutral about law. I don't know anything about economics in terms of acceptability. Work expereience etc is really not important as the degree is for ACADEMIC law rather than to train people to be lawyers as such (again this comes from the tutor if you can see the difference)
Your poor school will BOOST rather than hinder your application. Good Luck!!!!!!
(ps the work expereience will be too late but in your ps you could mention it as proof of your interest but it is insignificant to the application)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (22)
42.31%
Pro-humanity (30)
57.69%

Watched Threads