The Student Room Group

Laptops?

I've been having palpitations and hot flushes stressing about the kind of laptop I need for uni. I know I need SSD but does anyone have any suggestions for which would be the best to have for uni, that ISNT Apple? I really cant get on board with apple products. Thanks!!
Original post by Emma-JayneSK07
I've been having palpitations and hot flushes stressing about the kind of laptop I need for uni. I know I need SSD but does anyone have any suggestions for which would be the best to have for uni, that ISNT Apple? I really cant get on board with apple products. Thanks!!

My school bought me a laptop that I'm going to use for university. it's a Lenovo LookBook.
A macbook is the best but another good relatively non epensive would be a HP or a Lenovo
Original post by thagirlhanna
My school bought me a laptop that I'm going to use for university. it's a Lenovo LookBook.

I've been looking at Lenovo, thanks for this!!
I've been looking at Lenovo, thanks for this!!

No problem! :smile:

what's your budget? this is the perfect student laptop imo but has limited availability apparently, so if you can get the more premium ones that would be good. shame the grey version isn't available as looks nicer but at least black won't look as scruffy over time

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-c340-14-amd-ryzen-5-2-in-1-laptop-256-gb-ssd-black-10193748-pdt.html

There is no single "best" laptop for everyone, and if there were it sure as hell wouldn't be Apple. It all depends on each individual's use case?

What's your budget and what will you be using your laptop for?
What are you going to be studying? Unless you're studying something that requires specific software, it's likely that all you'll be doing is word processing and internet browsing for your course, so you can pretty much get anything capable of internet connectivity!
It really depends on a few factors..

What course are you doing?
Do you need any specific features? such as a DVD Drive, Specific amount of USB Ports, HDMI/VGA, USB C etc.
Do you care about going Used instead of New? Possibly buying an older, possibly bigger and heavier flagship laptop which will compete with newer laptops.

I mean personally I use a workstation but for mobile use I use a modified Thinkpad T430 from 2012 but still competes with mid tier laptops from 2018 for a fraction of the cost however I can understand if you don't want to deal with a heavier laptop which needs modifications such as Upgrading a socketed Processor or upgrading the display to something usable (The original T430 display is awful).
If you will be using it for typing assignments and projects, web browsing, youtube, video conferencing then a Dell Latitude E7470 for about £230 ish off ebay would be a great choice.

Another great choice would be a free laptop from an IT department of a large organisation that they were going to chuck out. To which you fit an SSD hard drive if it doesn't have one and a new battery when it needs it. The sort of laptop that you can get for free should be better than Showaddywaddy's T430. Which goes to show that buying a brand new laptop makes no sense whatsoever for someone buying it for personal use.

Buying brand new laptops if you are a large organisation makes a lot of sense, because it's all part of the company image and you want hundreds or thousands of laptops that are exactly the same for ease of putting the software build on and supporting them.
It makes sense to take advantage of the different needs for corporate users vs private users when getting your laptop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending