bearfaced
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have been offered a place on a university led primary PGCE after being rejected by three Schools Direct schemes.

I’ve recently started a job in the civil service but it’s SO boring! I don’t know whether I should go for the PGCE (I’ve done volunteering in primary schools and enjoyed it) or defer for a year and save some more money up.
whycantwerun
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It sounds like you'll eventually go into teaching, so it's just a matter of now or next year! If you started next year you could have a bit more time to get even more experience, save a bit of money up as you won't be paid for your training, and potentially find other courses you like. If you can hold out for another year at your job I would personally do that. Do you happen to know why you were rejected from your Schools Direct options?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by bearfaced)
I have been offered a place on a university led primary PGCE after being rejected by three Schools Direct schemes.

I’ve recently started a job in the civil service but it’s SO boring! I don’t know whether I should go for the PGCE (I’ve done volunteering in primary schools and enjoyed it) or defer for a year and save some more money up.
Will you be able to manage financially if you do the PGCE next year? It's very difficult to take on a part time job during the PGCE, so you do need to be able to have enough money to live off for the year.

You also might get a better experience training in a year's time.

That said, if you really hate your job and think you would enjoy the PGCE and teaching then maybe you should just go for it!
zafreenfarooque
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi

I did a PGCE from being in the Civil service for a number of years. Yes work in the CS is very routine, boring and not well paid to start with.
But with more years, the pay and benefits keep people in there.
Like me, I was also rejected from SD- my impression is that they want a ready made teacher with bags of experience.
So if you enjoyed teaching that much, go for the PGCE, especially if you're an extrovert by nature.
Otherwise, play it safe, save up then do it.
bearfaced
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks for the replies. I could afford to do it this year as I have a supportive husband but it might be more sensible to save up for a year.

My current job is so boring. I’m working from home with nothing to do.
DHughes87
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you considered taking a career break from the civil service whilst you train? That way, you will always have a guaranteed job to go back to if you finish your training and want to go back.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (135)
36.99%
Take autumn exams (114)
31.23%
Look for a job (11)
3.01%
Consider an apprenticeship (16)
4.38%
Take a year out (66)
18.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
6.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise