Average girl
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have just finished my first year of my LLB law degree with 50%. Making it only just a 2:2. I am hoping on really knuckling down next year but I don’t know how realistic it would be for me to graduate with a 2:1 due to personal circumstance.

Just to be safe I want to apply to law firms who accept people with a 2:2.

I know there are not many but it is still possible to find them.

So far I have found around 4.

If you know any firms who accept people for training contracts with a 2:2 can you please let me know.
james_law2.0
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There is no easy way round this but you need to do the research yourself. It's no good to you people recommending a firm in London when you live in wales and your not willing to relocate.

Your speculating at the minute, if you can work smart and knuckle down then a 2.1 could definitely be in reach; however, you need to be realistic and only you know if it is possible to get a 2.1. Don't be hard on yourself though as you have only finished 1st year. Speak to your teachers and see what they recommend you doing to improve.
kingyii1997
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Studying law is excruciatingly painful. I got a 2:2 for my second year due to mental illness, and I was constantly worried about getting a 2:1 if I wish to secure a pupillage in the future. I almost gave up on myself with the mentality of: 'I am fine with a 2:2. I will get a job anyway.'

However, when I think of my family who sponsored me for my studies in the UK, I told myself: 'No, a 2:1 will give you more opportunities to secure a pupillage.' I clearly understand that to get a pupillage, I have to work hard and get a good grade, particularly for international students like me. We have to compete with British students with exceptional English proficiency. Luckily, I lived with British housemates during my undergraduate studies in the UK, and they pointed out my mistake and helped to improve my English, as I am aware that being a Barrister requires exceptional English proficiency. Today I can speak fluent English with a few to no grammatical error. I am still practising my grammar everyday by reading and speaking. I spent most of the time to study in the library and working on my essay plans. My hard work paid off. I got a 2:1 for my first law degree! I almost cried when I received my result.

Getting a 2:2 is not the end of the world, but you will struggle more to get a TC. I am pretty sure some solicitors firms accepting 2:2 but bear in mind that you have to compete with students who got a 2:1 or first.

Life is never easy for anyone, but we all have 24 hours per day. Your attitude will decide your life. I am sure I will get a 2:2 if I had not studied hard during my final year. And now I received an offer to study BTC. Good luck!
TheMandalorian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Average girl)
I have just finished my first year of my LLB law degree with 50%. Making it only just a 2:2. I am hoping on really knuckling down next year but I don’t know how realistic it would be for me to graduate with a 2:1 due to personal circumstance.

Just to be safe I want to apply to law firms who accept people with a 2:2.

I know there are not many but it is still possible to find them.

So far I have found around 4.

If you know any firms who accept people for training contracts with a 2:2 can you please let me know.
Honestly, it will be hard no matter what firm you apply to if you don’t possess any work experience. The legal sector is oversaturated with law graduates and non law graduates applying for training contracts. You need to be able to have something to put on your application form that makes you stand out. Especially if you have a 2:2 when nearly everyone else has a 2:1.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (180)
24.73%
Better than expected (146)
20.05%
Worse than expected (402)
55.22%

Watched Threads