?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So this year I'm taking;
-Higher English
-Higher German
-Higher Philosophy
-Higher modern studies
-Higher History
My strengths most definitely do not lie in the science/mathematical department so I thought I'd take the subjects I'm strongest in and most enjoy. I'm hoping to go onto study English Lit at uni in a couple years. I'm now worried that my choices won't be considered 'academic enough'? Probably too late anyway but what are your thoughts? Thank you!
Advertisement
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
well have you checked the entry requirements for unis that you would like to go to, if you meet the entry requirements it should be fine
ROC10
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think you’ll be fine for English Lit, and remember you can still take further Highers in S6 (assuming you’re in S5 currently) as well as AHs.

Do you have N5 Maths? That can be a sticking point for many people who are not mathematically-strong as it’s often required for completely unrelated subjects but I know that Edinburgh (and possibly others) are dropping requirements for N5 Maths for many humanities programmes.
Last edited by ROC10; 3 weeks ago
Advertisement
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Emsyb)
So this year I'm taking;
-Higher English
-Higher German
-Higher Philosophy
-Higher modern studies
-Higher History
My strengths most definitely do not lie in the science/mathematical department so I thought I'd take the subjects I'm strongest in and most enjoy. I'm hoping to go onto study English Lit at uni in a couple years. I'm now worried that my choices won't be considered 'academic enough'? Probably too late anyway but what are your thoughts? Thank you!
I'm not sure what you mean by academic enough. Your choices are more than perfect.
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ROC10)
I think you’ll be fine for English Lit, and remember you can still take further Highers in S6 (assuming you’re in S5 currently) as well as AHs.

Do you have N5 Maths? That can be a sticking point for many people who are not mathematically-strong as it’s often required for completely unrelated subjects but I know that Edinburgh (and possibly others) are dropping requirements for N5 Maths for many humanities programmes.
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
well have you checked the entry requirements for unis that you would like to go to, if you meet the entry requirements it should be fine
Hey! This is great advice from ROC10 and stereotypeasian - the two things I definitely agree with here are checking the unis exact entry requirements as we all ask for different things. And definitely bear in mind that there's a chance you'll need your Nat 5 maths, I've spoken to lots of applicants in the past that haven't had it and have been gutted that we ask for it even for our non maths/science based humanities subjects Definitely keep an eye out for that in the entry requirements!

I think for an English based course at uni you're ticking lots of boxes with your chosen Highers You're showing key skills like text analysis and comparison, critical thinking and creative thinking skills. They're all what we would call "essay based" highers, showing your abilities to process, analyse and discuss written information. I have to say it looks like you have lots of writing ahead of you in your 5th year... make sure you've got nice stationary kits sorted to make it easier!!

Best of luck to you!

-Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Advertisement
thepunmaster.e
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Make sure you hit all the entry requirements, but they seem fine to me, what’s more important is that you get the best grade you can in them!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (163)
24.85%
Better than expected (132)
20.12%
Worse than expected (361)
55.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed