screw fell off my car.. anyone know what its for? Watch

Ruthie!
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Basically I was driving my car, went over a speed bump in asda at like 5mph most. We heard a bang and the car "jumped" or "bounced" with a bit of a thud.
After parking we went to check the speed bump and found a still warm screw behind the speed bump, meaning if it was from my car it came from the back.
It is about 3 inch long..
Anyone know?

first time uploading pic so sorry if its big =/
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
theres no way in hell that screw just fell off your car.
Ruthie!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lara C.)
why not? it looks like its not been screwed in all the way, and it has obviously unscrewed out, meaning that the speed bump was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak and it just fell off.
Lara C.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ruthie!)
why not? it looks like its not been screwed in all the way, and it has obviously unscrewed out, meaning that the speed bump was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak and it just fell off.
a few reasons. well its a big **************** of a screw.

firstly, you can see where its been screwed in obviously, and all the threads are in perfect shape meaning that its been screwed out. unlikely to happen on your car. secondly, you can see a bit of chipping on the finish where a socket has been applied to it. you wouldn't see this from factory fit. thirdly, its very clean meaning that if it was located on your car then it would be either covered in crap and discoloured or it would not have found its way onto the floor.

whats highly likely is that it was already on the floor and you happened to have found it. try going over the hump again and see if the same thing happens.
Ruthie!
Rep:
?
a few reasons. well its a big **************** of a screw.

firstly, you can see where its been screwed in obviously, and all the threads are in perfect shape meaning that its been screwed out. unlikely to happen on your car. secondly, you can see a bit of chipping on the finish where a socket has been applied to it. you wouldn't see this from factory fit. thirdly, its very clean meaning that if it was located on your car then it would be either covered in crap and discoloured or it would not have found its way onto the floor.

whats highly likely is that it was already on the floor and you happened to have found it. try going over the hump again and see if the same thing happens.
it was cold and vaguely rainy out, the screw was dry and warm and had obviously very recently fallen off a car. And its not that big its just very big picture, the screws only the length of my index finger, and the car was last done up by a man runnig his own private business. Yes before you say I do have the latest MOT and it passed perfectly just in May.
Thanks for replying at least though, i don't dare go back over the bumps I avoided them like the plague on the way out!
Lara C.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ruthie!)
it was cold and vaguely rainy out, the screw was dry and warm and had obviously very recently fallen off a car. And its not that big its just very big picture, the screws only the length of my index finger, and the car was last done up by a man runnig his own private business. Yes before you say I do have the latest MOT and it passed perfectly just in May.
Thanks for replying at least though, i don't dare go back over the bumps I avoided them like the plague on the way out!
orite lol, well you neglected to mention it was recently 'done up by a man' lol.

in that case i have no idea what the guy might have done to the car. best thing i can suggest is you poke around then and see if/where its came from.
Ruthie!
Rep:
?
well my mum is taking it to a garage tomorrow but shes taken it off me =[
so i wanted an opinion now because i need it tomorrow night and i want to know if ill need to change my plans basically. thanks anyway
Lara C.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what car and age is it out of interest?
pumpkin7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it means your car will fall apart... it's the screw that holds everything together....:woo:

but in all honesty, that screw looks too clean to have been fitten to a car ...meh.. saying that it's probably come off one of them boy racer front spoilers or something, when he's smacked it over the speedbump.
Ruthie!
Rep:
?
what car and age is it out of interest?
its a vauxhall corsa. m reg, abou 14 yr
Elliebellyboosh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
M reg - well your car is very old (no offense) so you may want to get it checked over by a local garage, it wont cost you anythin -take it into the garage (the screw) and they will tell you straight away

Chances are, if your car is running fine, it wasnt important
however best to get it checked anyway xxxx
pumpkin7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elliebellyboosh)

Chances are, if your car is running fine, it wasnt important
however best to get it checked anyway xxxx

err that's probably not the best thing to do. sometimes a screw falling off may lead to very bad complications down the line. if something falls off your car and you don't know what it is, get it checked. if you leave it, and it does turn out to be something more, you will only regret it when you are paying a stupid fee to get it fixed.
Elliebellyboosh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pumpkin7)
err that's probably not the best thing to do. sometimes a screw falling off may lead to very bad complications down the line. if something falls off your car and you don't know what it is, get it checked. if you leave it, and it does turn out to be something more, you will only regret it when you are paying a stupid fee to get it fixed.

thats why I said get it checked out too, it wont cost anything to get it looked at, and if tis something simple most garages will just screw it back in. x
ocelotrevs
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If that screw came off of your car that'd be bad.
That's pretty big, and looks like something for an engine mount if I remember. A screw that size is usually holding something big.
Get the motor checked out as soon as.
Fabregas1989
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it's the screw that holds part of the exhaust shaft up. I've seen one before when my dad grounded his car, but then again a lot of these things look the same.

Try looking underneath your car for a hole, using a torch?
Usman938
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
eww...cut your finger nails.
Minardi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
firstly, you can see where its been screwed in obviously, and all the threads are in perfect shape meaning that its been screwed out. unlikely to happen on your car.
Not as unlikely as you think. Screws vibrate out fairly easily and quickly, once the initial tension (~1/2 turn) is off.
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Would it not make sense to have a look at where theres an empty hole?
JayEm
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It looks like its come off some metal railings or something.

That's my guess, anyway. :p:
Tofufi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had the bolt for the steering damper fall off my car once.... anything can happen
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (203)
27.51%
No (535)
72.49%

Watched Threads