The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Charlski
I didn't actually mean exhaust shaft at all, I meant pipe (as I assumed that's what the person I was quoting meant) but typing in a hurry and all that...

Anyway, I spend a lot of my time poking around under cars, and I can say with confidence that anything attached to the exhaust or the engine will be far dirtier than that.

Fair play.
I've seen a few bolts like that, and some are pretty clean. Depends on the motor, and the age, and where it sits.
Reply 41
Ruthie!
Actually I do know how to change a wheel! I almost said tyre, but knowing about it as i do (:p: ) changing the tyre itself involves a hell of a lot more!

Took it to a garage today and he said, yes its form a corsa, but a newer one not yours. Which means another corsa drove over the bump just before me, the noise was it being thrown up against my car as I drove over it.

Also I think it was from the ?struts?, which although I have new ish ones not new enough, and yes they are factory fit btw

To usman938
I'm a GIRL I'm meant to have long nails.. idiot

hes said its from the NEW corsa not the old B which you drive :confused: damn thats confusing. if a screw like that is going to fall out of a new car then you should be ringing vauxhall up and telling them they have a MAJOR defect with their cars :rolleyes:
Elliebellyboosh
M reg - well your car is very old (no offense) so you may want to get it checked over by a local garage, it wont cost you anythin -take it into the garage (the screw) and they will tell you straight away

Chances are, if your car is running fine, it wasnt important
however best to get it checked anyway xxxx

M reg is not very old. It's not even close to being a classic car. I don't understand people's problem with older cars. Maintained properly they work fine.
Reply 43
The Hitchhiker
M reg is not very old. It's not even close to being a classic car. I don't understand people's problem with older cars. Maintained properly they work fine.

i dont think they mean old in the sense of all of motoring. but old in the sense that cars of that age start to fall apart when not maintained correctly, which does happen often. especially with the cheaper type of car which not many care for.
All major load bearing bolts on Vauxhalls are hex head bolts, not a torx headed bolt like that in the picture.

And by load bearing I mean engine mounts, gearbox mounts, engine to gearbox bolts, strut to hub bolts, wishbone bolts, subframe bolts.

Torx bolts of that length are generally used on things like alternators, air con pumps, PAS pumps, cam belt tensioners/rollers, petrol tank straps etc.

I can't picture that particular bolt anywhere on the back end of a Corsa B though, its definitely not part of the exhaust system (and I'm 99% sure its not part of the rear suspension set up).
Reply 45
With that point on the screw and the rubber washer I would say it is a tension screw for a belt. Might be from the belt tensioner for the water pump/aux belt.

This would also explain why only some of the thread is dirty/worn at the end.

I think it is a tensioning screw and in which case, you should get it checked pronto.

Latest