I want to believe in god and Jesus without religion?

Watch
Benjiboy018
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey I’m 19, and I’m going through a crisis of faith at the moment. I was raised Catholic but never ever believed in it or thought of it. I’ve always believed in god however I don’t believe in organised religion. I want to have a personal relationship with god and Christ without labelling myself as a Christian. Is this possible?

Any advice?
Saint Nicky
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Why not believe in me instead.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Of course it's possible, you can do what you like. Other people might not agree with you but it's your faith.,
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Well if you believe Christ is the son of God then that is being Christian kind of by definition. You don't have to be any more specific than that though.
Joleee
Report 3 months ago
Jesus wasn't a Christian nor was he a Catholic. wasn't even a thing when he was walking the planet, yet somehow i think he had a personal relationship with God.

my short answer is, of course you can have a relationship with God. community tho is something to consider as it keeps you encouraged and strengthened to know you are not alone in your faith. also does great things in the general community (Salvation Army for instance).

may i ask why you didn't believe in Catholicism? (i'm not Catholic and don't know the ins-and-outs btw.)
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes.
Your faith is a private choice, you can choose to believe in Jesus and the teachings that you most agree with without labelling yourself as anything.
Hannah0505
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You will still be a 'christian' by definiton but you can do whatever you want
username3673602
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Relationship over religion always 👐👐👐 religion is important so we understand the trinity and how we accept salvation, but after that it’s all relationship lovely ☺️
physicsamor
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It's your faith and as said above your relationship with God and Jesus. Its personal so you can do what you like. You don't need to define it if you don't want to.
username2393237
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You can believe whatever you want.
penduin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
why don't you want to label yourself Christian btw?
akragas
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Benjiboy018)
Hey I’m 19, and I’m going through a crisis of faith at the moment. I was raised Catholic but never ever believed in it or thought of it. I’ve always believed in god however I don’t believe in organised religion. I want to have a personal relationship with god and Christ without labelling myself as a Christian. Is this possible?

Any advice?
Many philosophers of the Enlightenment believed in God without following a religion, especially Voltaire. This was called Deism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism
da_nolo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Any advice?
1. what do you mean by never beluieved in it or thought of it?

these two things seem a bit different from each other, so I'm confused by your meaning.

2. so much of the bible and Christianity revolves around helping others out, being in a community. why remove these parts?

3. have you looked at or for any theological works that express having a relationship with God?
KFC Loverr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Bahai faith is an option
KFC Loverr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Any advice?
The Baháʼí Faith is a religion teaching the essential worth of all religions, and the unity of all people. Established by Baháʼu'lláh in 1863
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If there was any actual proof of which religion is the "one and only true" religion then everyone would be following it. Just choosing to believe in God and trying your absolute best to be a good person gives you as much of a chance at entering whatever afterlife thingy it is you believe in, than any organised religion, because again, they can't all be right.
kittencat1503
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
First Century Christians had organised groups. Take from that what you will. There are many scriptures about this, one being found in Hebrews 10:24, 25: “Let us consider one another to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together.” This seems to suggest that meeting with likeminded individuals is beneficial for our faith, as we can encourage each other. In addition, Paul encourages Christians to continue meeting together in organised groups.

In addition, we are told in Corinthians to be “fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought.” This suggests a close bond between individuals, united as one, not free flowing as many individuals of varying philosophies under a general banner of Christianity.

Might I suggest looking into other denominations first before coming to a final decision?
My father was raised as a Catholic, and I can understand why you might not believe in organised religion as a result. For example, when my father started to actually look deeper into the bible, the Priest was unable to answer any of his questions. There are many other reasons why someone could loose faith in organised religion, such as hypocrisy, or committing bad acts. However, not all Christian denominations are like this.

If you look into many Christian groups, and see which one primarily shows the identifying marker of true Christians, of having “love among yourselves”, which is identified in John 13:35; “By this all will know that you are my disciples—if you have love among yourselves.”

There is also this scripture, Matthew 24:14; “And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” Which group is sharing the “good news of the kingdom” with people of all lands.

Read the bible and pray to God, as I’m sure you are doing, and if you keep an open heart and a desire to know what God’s will truly is and not what your own will is, then He will definitely direct you to whatever path he wants to you take, be it organised religion or not.

So, my answer is, if God leads you to come to the conclusion that no organised religion is correct, after researching and praying openly, then of course you can have a close and personal relationship with him without labelling yourself a Christian (although as pointed out, technically anyone believing in Jesus as the Christ would be considered Christian, you just wouldn’t have to affiliate yourself with any particular denomination, or you could chose to simply say you believe in Jesus when asked about religion).

Personally, I believe that organised religion is needed to have a relationship with God, because after doing much of my own research this is where I arrived. However, you may arrive somewhere else, or in the same place.

God doesn’t want you to believe in anything blindly, so it’s good you are questioning what you were taught as a child if it’s not what you truly believe, and are further considering biblical issues.
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by kittencat1503)
First Century Christians had organised groups. Take from that what you will. There are many scriptures about this, one being found in Hebrews 10:24, 25: “Let us consider one another to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together.” This seems to suggest that meeting with likeminded individuals is beneficial for our faith, as we can encourage each other. In addition, Paul encourages Christians to continue meeting together in organised groups.

In addition, we are told in Corinthians to be “fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought.” This suggests a close bond between individuals, united as one, not free flowing as many individuals of varying philosophies under a general banner of Christianity.

Might I suggest looking into other denominations first before coming to a final decision?
My father was raised as a Catholic, and I can understand why you might not believe in organised religion as a result. For example, when my father started to actually look deeper into the bible, the Priest was unable to answer any of his questions. There are many other reasons why someone could loose faith in organised religion, such as hypocrisy, or committing bad acts. However, not all Christian denominations are like this.

If you look into many Christian groups, and see which one primarily shows the identifying marker of true Christians, of having “love among yourselves”, which is identified in John 13:35; “By this all will know that you are my disciples—if you have love among yourselves.”

There is also this scripture, Matthew 24:14; “And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” Which group is sharing the “good news of the kingdom” with people of all lands.

Read the bible and pray to God, as I’m sure you are doing, and if you keep an open heart and a desire to know what God’s will truly is and not what your own will is, then He will definitely direct you to whatever path he wants to you take, be it organised religion or not.

So, my answer is, if God leads you to come to the conclusion that no organised religion is correct, after researching and praying openly, then of course you can have a close and personal relationship with him without labelling yourself a Christian (although as pointed out, technically anyone believing in Jesus as the Christ would be considered Christian, you just wouldn’t have to affiliate yourself with any particular denomination, or you could chose to simply say you believe in Jesus when asked about religion).

Personally, I believe that organised religion is needed to have a relationship with God, because after doing much of my own research this is where I arrived. However, you may arrive somewhere else, or in the same place.

God doesn’t want you to believe in anything blindly, so it’s good you are questioning what you were taught as a child if it’s not what you truly believe, and are further considering biblical issues.
Just believing in Jesus doesn't make you Christian, I hope you know that.
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You can believe in whatever you want. It is personal to you and you don’t need to sit there and justify your reasons to other people. If anyone asks you could say “I believe there is a God/spiritual being” and leave it at that.
kittencat1503
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by trapking)
Just believing in Jesus doesn't make you Christian, I hope you know that.
Belief that Jesus existed does not make you a Christian, since many believe he existed, but only as a man and not the Christ.

However, please look at the definition of a Christian:

The Merriam Webster definition of a Christian:
“one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ”

The Cambridge definition of a Christian: “someone who believes in and follows the teachings of Jesus Christ”

So, if you believe that Jesus existed, and that he was the Christ, you therefore believe that his teachings are sound and correct (even if you aren’t to follow rules set by organised religion, instead looking to the bible to see what Jesus himself said), then you can be called a Christian. To be a Christian only requires belief in and acceptance of the Christ, hence the name, a follower of Christ.

Some Churches will accept other Churches as true Christians but then set down a list of requirements to be classified as a Christian, however these are found nowhere in the bible, so it is merely their opinion. Personally I believe this opinion to be flawed.

Alternatively, other denominations will say that any other denomination are not true Christians, that only they themselves are true Christians. They would still call a Catholic a Christian, because they follow Jesus, but they wouldn’t believe that the Catholic is on the right path.

People can be Christians without being true Christians. They can follow Jesus as the Christ, hence be called Christians, but it doesn’t mean they have the correct path and are true Christians, unless you believe that all paths lead to God.

This confusion mainly arises when certain Churches say that all Christians will be saved, but then disqualify some denominations which have varying beliefs to their own, but are now in a muddle because they said that “all Christians will be saved” not “all true Christians will be saved”, hence are now unable to call those denominations ‘Christians’ even while they believe in both Jesus and God, and follow what the bible teaches.
Last edited by kittencat1503; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads