Further Mechanics 1 - Oblique Collisions Question

Watch
BrandonS15
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,
Currently, I know that when considering an oblique collision between either a particle colliding obliquely with a barrier/wall or two particles with an oblique collision, that Newton’s experimental law of restitution only applies to the components of velocity that are parallel to the lines of centres or (in the case of a particle and a wall, parallel to the direction of impulse)
Name:  650FA852-CC0B-4FB9-BACC-169525628BF1.jpg.jpeg
Views: 57
Size:  27.2 KB
(First and second bullets) Why is this the case? I know its something to do with the direction of impulse but I can’t fully get my head around the concept of impulse determining the direction in which the restitution law applies
I know that in the case of a particle and a wall, the momentum isn’t completely conserved due to the external force acting on the wall which prevents it from moving and if we consider this, a large force to turn the particle in a very short time can be integrated to give change in momentum, impulse. So there we don’t have a closed system therefore momentum isn’t conserved and since impulse gives a measure for how much momentum isn’t conserved then the direction of impulse must decide the direction where momentum isn’t conserved, but what I can’t link is why the restitution law only applies in certain directions when considering oblique collisions.
Any help in understanding intuitively is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Superfluid123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry - new to posting latex.
\mathbf{i}+\mathbf{j} and -\mathbf{i}+\mathbf{j}
Here is a computer model of what I am talking about you need to click student preview...
[URL]https://teacher.desmos.com/activitybuilder/custom/5f198611ef1efe1f30feff69[\URL]
Last edited by Superfluid123; 1 year ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
These are pretty good
https://www.drfrostmaths.com/resource.php?rid=446
The normal force(s) is applied along the line connecting the centres, just as if one was a wall.
Perpendicular to that line (along the wall), things are unchanged.
BrandonS15
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
These are pretty good
https://www.drfrostmaths.com/resource.php?rid=446
The normal force(s) is applied along the line connecting the centres, just as if one was a wall.
Perpendicular to that line (along the wall), things are unchanged.
I’m still unsure how impulse is the cause for where the restitution law is applied, I have read the powerpoint on the link given, and It doesn’t give a complete understanding as to why we consider restitution in specific directions
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BrandonS15)
I’m still unsure how impulse is the cause for where the restitution law is applied, I have read the powerpoint on the link given, and It doesn’t give a complete understanding as to why we consider restitution in specific directions
Restitution (impulse) is a force, so it acts in a direction. When you're moving in 2d , motion in only one dimension (not necessarily aligned with the axes) is affected. If a ball strikes a wall,motion normal to the wall will be governed by the impulse impact. Motion along the wall is not affected.

You could think about the limiting cases. What happens when it's perpendicular to the wall? What happens when it's parallel to the wall. More generally, you resolve motion into those two components.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 year ago
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,
Currently, I know that when considering an oblique collision between either a particle colliding obliquely with a barrier/wall or two particles with an oblique collision, that Newton’s experimental law of restitution only applies to the components of velocity that are parallel to the lines of centres or (in the case of a particle and a wall, parallel to the direction of impulse)
Name:  650FA852-CC0B-4FB9-BACC-169525628BF1.jpg.jpeg
Views: 57
Size:  27.2 KB
(First and second bullets) Why is this the case? I know its something to do with the direction of impulse but I can’t fully get my head around the concept of impulse determining the direction in which the restitution law applies
I know that in the case of a particle and a wall, the momentum isn’t completely conserved due to the external force acting on the wall which prevents it from moving and if we consider this, a large force to turn the particle in a very short time can be integrated to give change in momentum, impulse. So there we don’t have a closed system therefore momentum isn’t conserved and since impulse gives a measure for how much momentum isn’t conserved then the direction of impulse must decide the direction where momentum isn’t conserved, but what I can’t link is why the restitution law only applies in certain directions when considering oblique collisions.
Any help in understanding intuitively is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Assuming the spheres are smooth, they will be unable to impart any force on one another in the direction tangential to the point of impact. If we then resolve forces / impulses into radial (along the line joining the centres) and tangential (perpendicular to the line joining the centres), then as the tangential component is zero, we can conclude that ALL the force / impulse must be acting along the line joining the centres. It further follows that the components of velocity in the direction perpendicular to the line joining the centres must remain unchanged by the collision.
BrandonS15
Rep:
?
(Original post by old_engineer)
Assuming the spheres are smooth, they will be unable to impart any force on one another in the direction tangential to the point of impact. If we then resolve forces / impulses into radial (along the line joining the centres) and tangential (perpendicular to the line joining the centres), then as the tangential component is zero, we can conclude that ALL the force / impulse must be acting along the line joining the centres. It further follows that the components of velocity in the direction perpendicular to the line joining the centres must remain unchanged by the collision.
What prevents any force being exerted in the component that is tangent to the point of impact? How do I know that no force is exerted like this so that I can be sure all the impulse is acting parallel to the line of centres?
old_engineer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What prevents any force being exerted in the component that is tangent to the point of impact? How do I know that no force is exerted like this so that I can be sure all the impulse is acting parallel to the line of centres?
If the spheres are smooth, their coefficients of friction must be zero, which in turn implies zero frictional force.
BrandonS15
Rep:
?
If the spheres are smooth, their coefficients of friction must be zero, which in turn implies zero frictional force.
I undestand that modelling the situation as smooth avoids any frictional forces being involved, but how does this confirm that none of the impulses each sphere receives acts in the tangential direction?
old_engineer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I undestand that modelling the situation as smooth avoids any frictional forces being involved, but how does this confirm that none of the impulses each sphere receives acts in the tangential direction?
An impulse is a force applied for a (usually short) time. No tangential force means no tangential impulse.
BrandonS15
Rep:
?
An impulse is a force applied for a (usually short) time. No tangential force means no tangential impulse.
Okay that makes further sense and (sorry if you’ve said this already) but how do we know theres no tangential force? I know momentum is conserved in that direction, but don’t see how that completes the explanation..
old_engineer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay that makes further sense and (sorry if you’ve said this already) but how do we know theres no tangential force? I know momentum is conserved in that direction, but don’t see how that completes the explanation..
There is no tangential force because the spheres are smooth, with zero coefficient of friction.
Momentum is conserved overall, by the way, not just in the direction perpendicular to the line of centres.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads