The Student Room Group

NTU vs ICL

Hey!

So I've gotten into both Imperial College London (MEng) and Nanyang Technological University Singapore (Bachelors) for biomedical engineering undergrad. Although NTU is a great university, I feel Imperial is better. I will finish my education in 4 years at ICL since it's masters whereas with NTU I'll have to reapply for masters. But, Imperial is a little too expensive on my parents' pockets and NTU is definitely a safer and stable country to go to. Which one do you think is better keeping the whole covid, and brexit situation in mind.
I would say go to Imperial and then come back to Singapore to work, if you can afford Imperial without a lot of stress. And MEng is an integrated masters and is classified as an undergraduate degree in the UK.
Singapore hasn't be doing that well with Covid recently and that will have a big effect on its economy and stability, more than it will on London. Singapore has had and currently does have much higher case numbers per capita. Brexit also has the advantage of potentially bringing your cost of education down, and you also need to consider the value of the 1 or 2 years extra that you can work if you go to Imperial.

The UK is also really showing their prowess on the biomedical side of things at the moment so I'd argue that you will get a lot more out of being in the UK too as you'll have a lot more access to the companies and research groups involved in the response. The Imperial vaccine is also one of the premier candidates at the moment, and that will improve its general reputation even more.

I also remember that a lot of employers complain that graduates of Singapore universities are a bit wooden.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Singapore hasn't be doing that well with Covid recently and that will have a big effect on its economy and stability, more than it will on London. Singapore has had and currently does have much higher case numbers per capita. Brexit also has the advantage of potentially bringing your cost of education down, and you also need to consider the value of the 1 or 2 years extra that you can work if you go to Imperial.

The UK is also really showing their prowess on the biomedical side of things at the moment so I'd argue that you will get a lot more out of being in the UK too as you'll have a lot more access to the companies and research groups involved in the response. The Imperial vaccine is also one of the premier candidates at the moment, and that will improve its general reputation even more.

I also remember that a lot of employers complain that graduates of Singapore universities are a bit wooden

Can you tell me about the 1 or 2 years extra work? I thought if you're doing an undergrad degree, you would only get two extra weeks to stay in UK after your course has ended.
Original post by V1ct0r
Can you tell me about the 1 or 2 years extra work? I thought if you're doing an undergrad degree, you would only get two extra weeks to stay in UK after your course has ended.

I mean if they study in Singapore that takes 5-6 years to get a masters as their bachelor's degree takes 4 years, so e.g. if the finish studying at 22 in the UK and can start working at 22, they would be 23 years old to be at the equivalent point via the Singapore route. You can interpret that as at 23 years old they could pay back 1 years worth of earnings towards their cost of education if they went to Imperial but not at NTU, or they'll reach certain points in their career a year earlier, or they save more towards their pension/earn their maximum salary for one year longer/etc.

And you're incorrect anyway, for any course which is 12 months or longer you currently get 4 months after your course end date, and this will be 2 years for this year's cohort onward due to the introduction of the PSW.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I mean if they study in Singapore that takes 5-6 years to get a masters as their bachelor's degree takes 4 years, so e.g. if the finish studying at 22 in the UK and can start working at 22, they would be 23 years old to be at the equivalent point via the Singapore route. You can interpret that as at 23 years old they could pay back 1 years worth of earnings towards their cost of education if they went to Imperial but not at NTU, or they'll reach certain points in their career a year earlier, or they save more towards their pension/earn their maximum salary for one year longer/etc.

And you're incorrect anyway, for any course which is 12 months or longer you currently get 4 months after your course end date, and this will be 2 years for this year's cohort onward due to the introduction of the PSW.

Hmm I see. Yeah it wasn't two weeks lol why did I even say that, my visa expiry date was actually 2 months after my course ends. Don't know why I didn't get 4 months tho.
Original post by peace01
Hey!

So I've gotten into both Imperial College London (MEng) and Nanyang Technological University Singapore (Bachelors) for biomedical engineering undergrad. Although NTU is a great university, I feel Imperial is better. I will finish my education in 4 years at ICL since it's masters whereas with NTU I'll have to reapply for masters. But, Imperial is a little too expensive on my parents' pockets and NTU is definitely a safer and stable country to go to. Which one do you think is better keeping the whole covid, and brexit situation in mind.

Imperial! No brainer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending