The Student Room Group

Sixth Form Organisation/Filing and Stationery

Ok, everyone - unfortunatly the end of the long summer holidays has come and I am back to school next week. Tomorrow I will be going on my annual stationery pilgrimage to WH smiths and had some questions:

What items of stationery and equipment will I need for sixth form? (I am doing maths, fm, physics, geography and economics if that makes a difference). I am starting a new school so don't really know what people use? Do they still generally use pencil cases, and if so what sort? and in terms of bag - rucksack? or i was looking at those satchel things??

what is the best way to file away a-level work? If i did it by module per subject would one module fit in a normal sized a4 folder or would i need a lever arch thing? or is it better to file everything for each subject in a lever arch file?

any other stationery tips you have for sixth form??

thank you so much for your help in advance and good luck to everyone starting sixth form in september:biggrin: :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Exactly the same things you used for GCSEs?

Contrary to popular belief, 6th form is very similar in stationary requirements...
Reply 2
Thank you for doing this thread Nonsense!

Was thinking the same thing..

Shall I file by date? By module? Etc
Reply 3
WTF?

Does it matter ?

Satchel or rucksack? Whatever you prefer.

Pencil case? If you really want one.

And believe it or not, how you file you work is entirely up to you and it depends on personal preference.
Reply 4
Doesn't matter; noone looks at YOUR notes. They are YOUR notes after all. Whatever is best for you...
To be honest, 6th form is exactly the same as Year 11 stationary and bag wise. Just take whatever you want, there are no restrictions really.

When it comes to filing, some places will provide you with normal excercise books to do work in. If you don't have this system then its usually best to just use a ringbind file for each A level subject so you keep the work seperately.
File the work inside in chronological order so you can look back easily to pervious work etc.
Its important to keep everything in Unit sections too so that you know what sort of thing comes up in each Unit.

Just keep in mind at all times that you will have to revise from the folder at the end of the year so the neater and more organised the better!
Reply 6
You got 11 A*s and you need to ask that?

Standards really are slipping.
Folder for every module I find.

Eg. Maths: C1, C2, X1
Further Maths: FP1, XX, XX etc. etc.

That way you know where stuff is :smile:.

Get a massive box or something and chuck all your textbooks in there and keep it under your bed or something, it keeps it out of the way, otherwise you just end up with 12+ books lying around your room.

Have your module folders at home, and use a 'weekly' folder to take work to/from school, saves you taking 3/4 folders a day.

Stationary Tips: Hole Punch :wink:, everyone will love you.
Reply 8
My filling system was a corner of the bedroom and my stationary were those pens from WHSmith which you buy in big pots of 250.
Tom4510
Exactly the same things you used for GCSEs?

Contrary to popular belief, 6th form is very similar in stationary requirements...

Yes, you are still required to sit still in lessons and not leave your seat.
Reply 10
I'm going into a new sixth form this year too, I was kind of worried about the same things. But I got an animal pencil case from WH Smiths if worst comes to worst and only geeks use them I will leave it in my bag. BAG- I got an adidas messenger bag from Schuh, its kind of grown up and fits in a A4 ring binder and pencil case. I also got a gym bag for PE as i am doing the CSLA course. In terms of filing I got 5 lever arch folders and lots of dividers, which I will divide as I see appropriate when I have started studying the stuff but I will always date it. Then I got a pukka ring binder, Its really sturdy so will last the year and it has five dividers one for each subject and a pad of paper. I also got lots of pukka pads, 2xA4, 2XA5 and two really small ones for german vocab. And a little wallet type thing to put sheets I get in till I get home so I don't crease them up. Then with regards to a student planner I am going to wait and see what school give us and if its crap, I'll get my own. Hope that helps anyway. :smile:
Reply 11
HereIstand
I'm going into a new sixth form this year too, I was kind of worried about the same things. But I got an animal pencil case from WH Smiths if worst comes to worst and only geeks use them I will leave it in my bag. BAG- I got an adidas messenger bag from Schuh, its kind of grown up and fits in a A4 ring binder and pencil case. I also got a gym bag for PE as i am doing the CSLA course. In terms of filing I got 5 lever arch folders and lots of dividers, which I will divide as I see appropriate when I have started studying the stuff but I will always date it. Then I got a pukka ring binder, Its really sturdy so will last the year and it has five dividers one for each subject and a pad of paper. I also got lots of pukka pads, 2xA4, 2XA5 and two really small ones for german vocab. And a little wallet type thing to put sheets I get in till I get home so I don't crease them up. Then with regards to a student planner I am going to wait and see what school give us and if its crap, I'll get my own. Hope that helps anyway. :smile:

Whats the messenger bag like?
It seems nice, dya have a pic?
Reply 12
HereIstand
I'm going into a new sixth form this year too, I was kind of worried about the same things. But I got an animal pencil case from WH Smiths if worst comes to worst and only geeks use them I will leave it in my bag. BAG- I got an adidas messenger bag from Schuh, its kind of grown up and fits in a A4 ring binder and pencil case. I also got a gym bag for PE as i am doing the CSLA course. In terms of filing I got 5 lever arch folders and lots of dividers, which I will divide as I see appropriate when I have started studying the stuff but I will always date it. Then I got a pukka ring binder, Its really sturdy so will last the year and it has five dividers one for each subject and a pad of paper. I also got lots of pukka pads, 2xA4, 2XA5 and two really small ones for german vocab. And a little wallet type thing to put sheets I get in till I get home so I don't crease them up. Then with regards to a student planner I am going to wait and see what school give us and if its crap, I'll get my own. I also got envelope folders and a couple of other random things. Hope that helps anyway. :smile:

lol
Reply 13
rotor
Whats the messenger bag like?
It seems nice, dya have a pic?

its this
http://www.usc.co.uk/Adidas%20Vintage%20Airline%20Messenger%20Bag/0011797,default,pd.html?cgid=NB
I think its a mans bag , but i went all over Meadowhall looking for a womens messenger bag that would fit an A4 ring binder in and would look sort of like it was designed for someone over the age of 12.
Reply 14
Greatleysteg
Yes, you are still required to sit still in lessons and not leave your seat.

Are you serious?

Because of ONE letter? Oh my god people are pedantic around here..
Tom4510
Are you serious?

Because of ONE letter? Oh my god people are pedantic around here..

Aww c'mon, it was a joke. :smile:
Reply 16
JakeCordell
Folder for every module I find.

Eg. Maths: C1, C2, X1
Further Maths: FP1, XX, XX etc. etc.

That way you know where stuff is :smile:.

Get a massive box or something and chuck all your textbooks in there and keep it under your bed or something, it keeps it out of the way, otherwise you just end up with 12+ books lying around your room.

Have your module folders at home, and use a 'weekly' folder to take work to/from school, saves you taking 3/4 folders a day.

Stationary Tips: Hole Punch :wink:, everyone will love you.

I'd suggest of bookshelf. lol sorry i couldn't resist:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
One thing: As the work load is a lot bigger for AS than for GCSE, I'd advise you have one of those big A4 ringbinders for each subject, and smaller A4 ringbinders for each subject. Fill up the small one, put the work in the big one when full, file by module :smile:

x
Reply 18
oh dear god. I really don't know how some people are going to get by in life.
Big calculator
Ruler
, 1ft
Loads of pens
Pencils
Rubber
Highlighters for handouts you'll prolly get but not bother to read
Level arch ringbinder; get paper with ready-punched holes

that's it, sunshine.

Latest