Graduated in Accounting and Finance considering teaching - best route?

Watch
EnterNamehereplz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I have graduated in BSc Accounting and Finance with a 2:2 but I deferred one module and pretty confident of getting a 2:1. I have my heart set on teaching but was wondering what route would be the best to take while earning money as I see a lot of advertisements about get paid to train to teach. My degree doesn't exactly link with a subject perhaps Accounting at A-Level but I was hoping to teach Business / Mathematics at secondary school. My A-Level results were BBC with one of the B's being in Business and the C being in maths. I underperformed at A-levels but I am confident I can do a good job teaching and would be willing to redo my A-levels. Is there any suggestions anyone has for me?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by EnterNamehereplz)
Hi,

I have graduated in BSc Accounting and Finance with a 2:2 but I deferred one module and pretty confident of getting a 2:1. I have my heart set on teaching but was wondering what route would be the best to take while earning money as I see a lot of advertisements about get paid to train to teach. My degree doesn't exactly link with a subject perhaps Accounting at A-Level but I was hoping to teach Business / Mathematics at secondary school. My A-Level results were BBC with one of the B's being in Business and the C being in maths. I underperformed at A-levels but I am confident I can do a good job teaching and would be willing to redo my A-levels. Is there any suggestions anyone has for me?
You could definitely teach maths with an accounting degree. You might need to do an SKE first, but you would definitely get a place on a Maths PGCE.

I'd suggest training in maths, getting the bursary (a 2.2 is fine for this) and then looking for a school which also offers business so you could get some experience of teaching the subject. Most schools wouldn't be able to fill a timetable with business, so being able to teach a core subject would be a real advantage.

I don't think there would be any need to redo your A-levels. There is a real shortage of Maths teachers at the moment, so if you can show you are a good teacher, you will easily find a job.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Have you seenthis?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...d.php?t=734746
Muserock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd also recommend looking at the Get Into Teaching website. https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise