Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR,

Here's the problem and I'd be really greatfull for any ideas

So, I have taken the hard disk out of an old PC using Windows 2000, and put it into a newer machine running XP. Thus, i intended to get duel booting between the two disks before I wiped the XP drive.

However, the 2000 disk won't boot.

I get "inacessable boot device" on a BSOD. :no:

The cables are all conected corectly, and the 2000 disk is seen by XP when booting off that disk.

Many thanks for your ideas

ReputationRep:
    You need to make some edits to your BIOS for this I believe: In your Bios you can select from which area's it tries to boot and it will probably also try to boot from your 2nd hard-drive. This needs to be disabled.

As I am quite unexperienced I will let the others explain it into detail, but I believe this is the general idea of what you will have to do.

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to reinstall 2000 - the hardware difference between the two machines will be too great, especially things like motherboard drivers. I'm not sure if 2000 has an in-place installation option in setup or not.

Another note though, the hard disk from the the 2000 machine is likely to be musch older technology than any newer ones you have, so it will rapidly become a bottlenect in the machines; thing whether you really need a 2k installation, or the other disk at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    You'll need to reinstall 2000 - the hardware difference between the two machines will be too great, especially things like motherboard drivers. I'm not sure if 2000 has an in-place installation option in setup or not.

Another note though, the hard disk from the the 2000 machine is likely to be musch older technology than any newer ones you have, so it will rapidly become a bottlenect in the machines; thing whether you really need a 2k installation, or the other disk at all.
    Wouldn't my idea work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psorian)
    Wouldn't my idea work?
    Depends how 'wiped' the XP disk is. If the bootloader has been removed, then its probably already the 2k installation which is causing the BSOD.

Either way though, i'd be very surprised if that installation booted cleanly.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.