h.findlay321
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey guys,

I just finished my second year at university studying a non-law related course. I’ve decided I want to go into law as a career. I’ve just found out that many law firms fill training contract places 2 years in advance. I still have one more year of university to go and would then do a law conversion course which would finish in Summer 2022.

Am I right I’m assuming I should be applying now for training contracts starting in 2022? Also is there much point applying with no legal work experience or will it be an instant rejection? I had planned work experience this summer but it was cancelled due to COVID!

Any advice would be great as I’m aware some of the deadlines for training contracts starting in 2022 are fast approaching and I don’t want to miss out.
Tash28
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You should apply for 2023 training contracts. You need to do your final year of university, the GDL and then the Legal Practice Course (LPC). Take a look at the SQE and how it is changing the qualification process- you may be affected by the changes.
h.findlay321
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Tash28)
You should apply for 2023 training contracts. You need to do your final year of university, the GDL and then the Legal Practice Course (LPC). Take a look at the SQE and how it is changing the qualification process- you may be affected by the changes.
Thank you so much, this is very helpful
17Student17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You apply this Autumn for training contracts, then do the GDL starting 2021 and LPC starting 2022 and start a training contract in 2023.
You can go that route. If you get a TC the firm might (unlikely) prefer you to do the SQE system instead. If you have a TC by next summer or have an offer of a place on the GDL by next summer you can still qualify by the existing route. The year after you currently cannot qualify other than via SQE unless it is delayed again.

Here is one firm's dates
"When to apply

Training contract applications should be made two years ahead of your anticipated start date with the firm. Law students are encouraged to apply in the summer of their penultimate year. If you miss the summer application window, you can apply in the autumn as a finalist or graduate but you will be applying for a later intake year. Non-law students can apply for training contracts in the autumn as a finalist or graduate. For the purposes of our application process, the 'non-law' intake is for candidates who did not, or will not, graduate with a qualifying law degree in England and Wales and who have completed, or who are required by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) to complete, some or all of the modules of the law conversion course (Post Graduate Diploma in Law - PGDL), before commencing their Legal Practice Course (LPC).

We will open for applications for the 2023 intake in autumn 2020." https://www.slaughterandmay.com/care...icitors/apply/
h.findlay321
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by 17Student17)
You apply this Autumn for training contracts, then do the GDL starting 2021 and LPC starting 2022 and start a training contract in 2023.
You can go that route. If you get a TC the firm might (unlikely) prefer you to do the SQE system instead. If you have a TC by next summer or have an offer of a place on the GDL by next summer you can still qualify by the existing route. The year after you currently cannot qualify other than via SQE unless it is delayed again.

Here is one firm's dates
"When to apply

Training contract applications should be made two years ahead of your anticipated start date with the firm. Law students are encouraged to apply in the summer of their penultimate year. If you miss the summer application window, you can apply in the autumn as a finalist or graduate but you will be applying for a later intake year. Non-law students can apply for training contracts in the autumn as a finalist or graduate. For the purposes of our application process, the 'non-law' intake is for candidates who did not, or will not, graduate with a qualifying law degree in England and Wales and who have completed, or who are required by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) to complete, some or all of the modules of the law conversion course (Post Graduate Diploma in Law - PGDL), before commencing their Legal Practice Course (LPC).

We will open for applications for the 2023 intake in autumn 2020." https://www.slaughterandmay.com/care...icitors/apply/
Thank you so much, this has been very insightful!
17Student17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No problem. It took me a while to work it out despite going through the same process in my day and my sons starting the GDL this Autumn so I had a bit of a wrestle to find out the transitional period and years (although of course my sonsshould be checking this, not their lawyer mother!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (125)
37.88%
Take autumn exams (100)
30.3%
Look for a job (10)
3.03%
Consider an apprenticeship (11)
3.33%
Take a year out (63)
19.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
6.36%

Watched Threads