JellyFox
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Long story short, I have sensitive skin and struggle with most methods of hair removal, especially those that don't give long lasting results as I have to keep repeating the process. This has led me to waxing, which irritates my skin slightly for a shorter period of time... but it doesn't seem to work for me!!

I am a student so I can't afford to continuously go to salons for hair removal, especially when I can do it at home. I tried soft wax a while ago, I remember it being messy and didn't really commit to it so I suppose that is still an option. However, I've just bought a wax heater and some Mylee wax beads and I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I aboslutely cannot get rid of all of the hair. I have washed, exfoliated and prepped the skin, I have tried applying oil and baby powder before hand, I've tried applying thick strips and thin strips, I've tried the wax at different consistensies and no matter what I do, I am always left with hair behind.

A couple of nights ago I was super determined to keep trying, so I sat on the floor for around 3 hours trying to wax my legs. I only did the shin of one leg in that time, and still was only able to get some hairs (mainly the longer ones). This means I just have to shave after anyway which irritates my skin, and I end up using half a bag of 500g wax beads for one portion of my leg!!

I'm pretty confident I'm doing something wrong so I'm hoping someone here can help me. I really need to get into the routine of a more permanent, beneficial hair removal routine as my skin is so irritated by shaving, so you can imagine what its like with hair removal cream.

Any advice welcome!
Ashrey
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi I know its annoying when hair is left behind after a wax but its not a good idea to shave the small hairs off. The thing is hair grows in different cycles so you should let the stray hairs grow untill they are long enough to wax. This process may take a couple of weeks but you will achieve smooth legs after that. As for the irritation I use aloe vera gel its not expensive to buy from shops like home bargains. I hope this helps.
JellyFox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ashrey)
Hi I know its annoying when hair is left behind after a wax but its not a good idea to shave the small hairs off. The thing is hair grows in different cycles so you should let the stray hairs grow untill they are long enough to wax. This process may take a couple of weeks but you will achieve smooth legs after that. As for the irritation I use aloe vera gel its not expensive to buy from shops like home bargains. I hope this helps.
Oh okay I see, eventually will the hair grow in the same cycle or will this always be the case? I hadn't thought of aloe vera, thank you
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don’t know if this would irritate your skin but you could try epilating? It pulls the hairs out pretty well but you would have to buy an epilator which would be expensive at first, but it’s only a one time buy so cheaper in the long run
JellyFox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chopinnocturne31)
I don’t know if this would irritate your skin but you could try epilating? It pulls the hairs out pretty well but you would have to buy an epilator which would be expensive at first, but it’s only a one time buy so cheaper in the long run
I do really want to try one of them, are they good?
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JellyFox)
It’s painful but they work really well for me. You get used to the pain after a while and it’s probably not that different from waxing. I haven’t tried waxing though so don’t take my word for it. And the hairs grow back thinner the more you do it so I think you should definitely go for it if you want to
Ashrey
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh okay I see, eventually will the hair grow in the same cycle or will this always be the case? I hadn't thought of aloe vera, thank you
Yh eventually the cycles will sync
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I epilate my legs and underarms and have never looked back. The pain is just prickly pain and feels more like a strong itch than anything else for me. No mess and you can even epilate in the shower.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (209)
38.56%
Take autumn exams (163)
30.07%
Look for a job (19)
3.51%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.06%
Take a year out (96)
17.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.09%

Watched Threads