sarahfonsecax
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Can anyone explain how the psychology degree is? Like if you did it at A-level, is it more evaluations or AO1?
lozzyhickers
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You’ll get a good idea of them by looking at programme specifications and module descriptions. It is quite different to A level in that it’s much more in-depth, and you have to think much more critically, will have computer lab classes and more stats and neurobiology. Each BSc is roughly the same because they’re accredited so have to cover the same kinds of material. BA’s vary more, but are not much of a help unless you’re definitely not wanting to work as a psychologist in the future

Generally the BSc courses cover stats and research methods, cognitive, developmental, biological, issues and debates, social and individual psychology, as well as your research project. And then there are options to take electives, which vary between uni’s. For example evolutionary psych, spirituality & religion, sleep, vision, psych and the media etc.
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Psychology degrees involve reading and evaluating psychology papers (lit reviews) and learning the principles of research (research methods, qualitative analysis and statistics), in preparation for a final year project where you actually propose and complete a piece of research. Some courses may offer a placement in practice or industry. Psychology A level provides you with a lot of the key tenets and principles to get you going on this degree but you’ll find that there’s less Freud and more computer modelling etc.
Different courses offer different optional modules in addition to your core material. Core modules in most courses are: developmental, cognitive neurological/bio psychology, social psychology, research methods, statistics, and dissertation (I might be forgetting one or two) with optional modules scattered around in each year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.56%
I'm not sure (56)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (588)
48.64%

Watched Threads