18AM1990
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
so i have been planning to take a gap year and to start uni in 2021 for a while now, i didn’t apply to any unis this year because i knew with my predicted grades no uni that i would like to go to will give me an offer so i decided i will just apply next year with my A Level grades. now that everything has happened and it has been decided that no A Level exams will be taken this summer it has meant that i will have to take the calculated grades they give me, which i won’t be taking as i already know i will be able to do much better than what they think... so i will be taking the exams in October. with all the covid business happening and everything being online for some time now it means that people want to defer their entries and go to uni in 2021 rather than this year, therefore meaning getting into uni next year will probably be the hardest year. so i am very scared and don’t know what to do. i can’t decide whether to apply for clearing now and scratch all my plans of doing a gap year just so i don’t risk not getting into uni in 2021 or just keep revising and get the best grades i can to apply for uni. i really don’t want to go to uni this year though as i am nowhere near prepared for it but i also don’t want to have to wait till 2022 to start... i’m so lost
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by 18AM1990)
so i have been planning to take a gap year and to start uni in 2021 for a while now, i didn’t apply to any unis this year because i knew with my predicted grades no uni that i would like to go to will give me an offer so i decided i will just apply next year with my A Level grades. now that everything has happened and it has been decided that no A Level exams will be taken this summer it has meant that i will have to take the calculated grades they give me, which i won’t be taking as i already know i will be able to do much better than what they think... so i will be taking the exams in October. with all the covid business happening and everything being online for some time now it means that people want to defer their entries and go to uni in 2021 rather than this year, therefore meaning getting into uni next year will probably be the hardest year. so i am very scared and don’t know what to do. i can’t decide whether to apply for clearing now and scratch all my plans of doing a gap year just so i don’t risk not getting into uni in 2021 or just keep revising and get the best grades i can to apply for uni. i really don’t want to go to uni this year though as i am nowhere near prepared for it but i also don’t want to have to wait till 2022 to start... i’m so lost
Next year may be the hardest year to get in there has been for a while, but I don't think 2022 will be any easier. Over the next few years, the number of UK based 18yos is going to increase. It's also very likely that we'll still be in a recession in 2021, which causes uni applications to go up. At the moment, deferral numbers aren't that high, and there is likely to be less EU/international applicants as well.

Personally, I would apply for 2021 entry and see what happens- if you don't get in the places you want, you can always try again. There's no real "risk" involved in this, except for you UCAS fee- it won't be held against you by anyone. And if you do get in, then you'll be sorted.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What are you going to do during the gap year and which subject would you like to read at University?
18AM1990
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
What are you going to do during the gap year and which subject would you like to read at University?
i was planning on getting work experience/internships, working in general to get money and to get my driving’s license before i start uni and i want to study psychology at university
roksanaquraishi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You have nothing to lose by applying this year. You can always take a year out after your first year at Uni when things have cal,med down corona wise but at least you will have a place secured. Good luck and have faith.
18AM1990
Rep:
?
(Original post by roksanaquraishi)
You have nothing to lose by applying this year. You can always take a year out after your first year at Uni when things have cal,med down corona wise but at least you will have a place secured. Good luck and have faith.
very true i guess, i just don’t feel prepared to go off to uni especially so last minute since i’ve settled and accepted for so long that i will be going in 2021... i don’t even have a clue about how to apply for clearing and what the process consists of
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (297)
55.93%
I don't have everything I need (234)
44.07%

Watched Threads