Turn on thread page Beta

FUrther maths! watch

ReputationRep:
    is furthermaths as hard as everyone says it is.
    i got 8 marks off an A* at GCSE in maths
    so i'm guessing i could cut it just about.
    Do the people that take it have to dig in deep to do well or is it overhyped??
    And also is it reli worth doing 5 A levels!?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It's overhyped. As is the difficulty of doing five A-levels. I don't understand why everyone thinks four is manageable but five is DEATH. You'll be fine as long as you're moderately intelligent and work as hard as you need to.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I don't think it's that overhyped, although it may be to some degree. It really depends on the person. You know thing is, it doesn't really depend on your GCSE's, although at the majority of colleges if not all, you'll need an A/A* to do further maths. Anyway it's probably the most difficult a level there is. If you love maths, and are willing to put in effort, then you might as well take it.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be doing further maths too!

And five subjects at AS but one of those is Critical Thinking, so I guess that doesn't count :p:

ReputationRep:
    hmmm, well i'm doing pretty heavy subjects with it aswel
    Economics
    Physics
    Computing
    Should i be scared, i dnt wanna stretch myself so my grades go down, but if i do these subjects i can pretty much do w.e i want to do which is amazing

ReputationRep:
    There is a step up in terms of the kinds of problems that are set on Further Pure exams compared to Core exams - you need a bit of ingenuity sometimes (Reduction formulae comes to mind - I've seen a question where you had to use the fact that 2-2 = 0 once!)

I was 5 off an A* at GCSE Maths so you certainly should go for it - if you're really good at Maths then it shouldn't be terribly hard.As for doing 5 A2s I wouldn't recommend it except if you really like your subjects.So long as you're doing at least four then there's no real problems I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    i guess i can just try the 5 a levels and drop one after a few weeks if its just not wht i like, coz i do like my parties man x

ReputationRep:
    Further Maths is nowhere near as hard as people make it out to be. I'm no mathematical genius and I still walked out with an A. If you apply yourself and work hard you'll do fine

ReputationRep:
    I thought it would be hard and I was right. It was bloody hell! Really just the Further Pure modules, all the others are alright. But man, I really just gave up in the end. I took it as a fourth A2 and couldn't focus on it properly (there were other non-academic issues too which distracted me) which made everything worse.

It is hard, definitely the hardest of all my subjects, and much much harder than Maths A-level (which was a doddle tbh). Looking back, I really wish I had spent more time on it, because it was just the FP2 and FP3 grades which completely failed me.

If you're willing to work for it, then yes take it.

ReputationRep:
    i'm guna just do maths, i dnt think furthermaths reli adds that much more, sure it looks impressive but it's guna add SO much more hastle to my timetable where i cud still get good results without it.
    thanks anyway my lovelies

ReputationRep:
    it's not as hard as people make out, but it's definitely hard. i reckon it's probably quicker to learn than normal maths(i crammed it in in three months without a teacher/lesson and just missed a B? and i oly got A at gcse...) if you put your mind to ittt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monster9999)
    dude i was 1 mark OFF i am defo getting a remark:yep:

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of people who do further maths and its fine as long as you keep up with the workload, because you're most likely to take 3modules in january, and 3 in may/june. If you're quite intelligent and pretty good at maths, the january modules shouldnt be a problem as long as you work enough. C3, C4 and M1 are usually the modules which people find more difficult so more work is needed.

Just work hard and you'll be fine =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monster9999)
    Depends how much effort you put into that maths A at gcse. If you put in a tonne then I wouldn't do the further maths A level (unless you really think you can put yet more in). If you got the A from not trying too hard then i'd give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonx)
    I know a lot of people who do further maths and its fine as long as you keep up with the workload, because you're most likely to take 3modules in january, and 3 in may/june. If you're quite intelligent and pretty good at maths, the january modules shouldnt be a problem as long as you work enough. C3, C4 and M1 are usually the modules which people find more difficult so more work is needed.

Just work hard and you'll be fine =)
    lol - everyone says this yet they are the modules I got my A on. I had B's in the others!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    It's overhyped. As is the difficulty of doing five A-levels. I don't understand why everyone thinks four is manageable but five is DEATH. You'll be fine as long as you're moderately intelligent and work as hard as you need to.
    Thank you for saying that!

On three seperate occassions, people from the college I'm going to start at in September have warned me against taking 5 subjects in a condescending way.

Personally, I can't wait to do further maths, but I think we do that in year 13.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faiza.)
    Lol I don't think it's that overhyped, although it may be to some degree. It really depends on the person. You know thing is, it doesn't really depend on your GCSE's, although at the majority of colleges if not all, you'll need an A/A* to do further maths. Anyway it's probably the most difficult a level there is. If you love maths, and are willing to put in effort, then you might as well take it.
    My brother did it with a C at GSCE and ended up getting an A (so far, AS)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Are we talking about 5 A2 or 5 AS?

ReputationRep:
    A guy in my year got 13 straight A*'s at GCSE.....and just scraped a C in Further Maths.
    Believe me it is hard.

ReputationRep:
    Further Maths A2 is hard. The AS is relatively easy, FP1 (the pure module you do at further maths AS level) is not bad at all, but FP2 and FP3 are quite tough going.

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.