Black Sensei
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi guys, I'm wondering if I should take 4 A Levels and an EPQ, will the workload be too much? Is the EPQ valued by Oxbridge unis. My A Level choices are Maths,Furhter Maths, Economics and Physics. Im looking to do Economics for university.
jessblackburn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey, I started off doing 4 A Levels and an EPQ in year 12, however I dropped one A Level around Christmas of Y12. If you were to study relentlessly it could be possible, however there is so much more to life than studying, hence why I dropped it - I could do more hours at work to earn more money, and actually have a bit of a social life. As far as I'm aware, the EPQ is not highly valued by Oxbridge unis - it is useful though to gain the skills from it, and from it I got 3 reduced offers, all from Russell Group universities. It is also good to write about in your PS.
In your case, I would make sure the universities you are looking towards accept 3 A Levels including Maths & FM, and then maybe scrap either FM or physics accordingly. Alternatively, dropping the EPQ would make sense if you look at entry requirements for the unis, and whether they take EPQ into consideration.
Hopefully this helps
Black Sensei
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by jessblackburn)
Hey, I started off doing 4 A Levels and an EPQ in year 12, however I dropped one A Level around Christmas of Y12. If you were to study relentlessly it could be possible, however there is so much more to life than studying, hence why I dropped it - I could do more hours at work to earn more money, and actually have a bit of a social life. As far as I'm aware, the EPQ is not highly valued by Oxbridge unis - it is useful though to gain the skills from it, and from it I got 3 reduced offers, all from Russell Group universities. It is also good to write about in your PS.
In your case, I would make sure the universities you are looking towards accept 3 A Levels including Maths & FM, and then maybe scrap either FM or physics accordingly. Alternatively, dropping the EPQ would make sense if you look at entry requirements for the unis, and whether they take EPQ into consideration.
Hopefully this helps
Thank you for the response. I may not take the EPQ but if I do, I can drop it if the workload is too much
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
About Oxford: "As we do not include the EPQ in our conditional offers we would stress that your final A level (or equivalent qualification) grades are most important to your application and you should be careful that any additional independent study does not jeopardise these."

It doesn't have any bearing on the application (to get reduced offers) for oxbridge, but could be a useful thing to write in your PS. Overall, I think although doable, 4 alevels and an EPQ is quite a lot to take on!
nikhil_a
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Black Sensei)
Hi guys, I'm wondering if I should take 4 A Levels and an EPQ, will the workload be too much? Is the EPQ valued by Oxbridge unis. My A Level choices are Maths,Furhter Maths, Economics and Physics. Im looking to do Economics for university.
It's definitely doable
Idk how Oxbridge value EPQ application-wise but it came up in my interview and is generally something you can talk confidently about which can't hurt.
OpusGCSE
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey! EPQs definitely aren't a necessity but they are an asset to write about on your PS (and potential interviews). As everyone has already mentioned, ensuring you attain the required grades in your A Level subjects is far more important. That being said, I take 4 A - Levels and an EPQ and haven't found it to be too overwhelming. The logbook is ANNOYING, but I dedicated one free a week to working on it (45 mins) and it was totally manageable and I ended up finishing my EPQ before the summer holidays of year 12. Overall, I'd say if you're pretty good at time management and self-discipline then the process is doable, just collate information/resources as you go, and work on it in little chunks (you can also always drop it if it gets too much). Hope that helps!!
SAXCXDVF
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, I am currently doing 4 A levels and EPQ (maths, further maths, physics, comp sci) and I just got an A* in my EPQ and I'm not falling behind on any of my subjects. I'd recommend doing it as you actually become an expert in a field not just someone that can replicate maths etc from books and it is extremely helpful for your personal statement. The EPQ really isn't hard just make sure you pick a subject you enjoy so you can have fun. It doesn't matter what you do, we had a girl make a coat out of tinsel and get an A* because of how she managed her project! Hope this helped

P.S: as others have said the logbook is annoying but my sixth form have paid for a service call Project Q that you just fill in the boxes and it assembles it into a logbook for you so that definitely made it easier!
Last edited by SAXCXDVF; 4 months ago
Luwei
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Dont do EPQ; not worth it Oxbridge dont care and they would be happy with further maths and four A levels already.
SAXCXDVF
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Luwei)
Dont do EPQ; not worth it Oxbridge dont care and they would be happy with further maths and four A levels already.
https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/a...d-can-i-submit

Doubt X, they love extended reading and that's exactly what you do in EPQ. Also personal statement 100
Humairazaman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by SAXCXDVF)
https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/a...d-can-i-submit

Doubt X, they love extended reading and that's exactly what you do in EPQ. Also personal statement 100
Hi, do you think that oxford would value the CREST award the same as the EPQ? I was thinking of doing the CREST award but which one do you think is more valued?
thegeek888
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Further Maths will help you alot in the Oxbridge interviews and is preferred by LSE and required by Imperial too.
SAXCXDVF
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Humairazaman)
Hi, do you think that oxford would value the CREST award the same as the EPQ? I was thinking of doing the CREST award but which one do you think is more valued?
They both show that you have a huge interest in your field and that you're capable of carrying out a project. I assume you're talking about the gold CREST award.
I think that depending on how you phrased it they are both capable of being as good as each other on your personal statement and that they would definitely give you something to talk about.
But I don't know if there is one that they specifically prefer.. You could easily use one of them to just get the other they are that similar, so I assume they are valued as equal.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Black Sensei)
Thank you for the response. I may not take the EPQ but if I do, I can drop it if the workload is too much
4 A levels is enough especially if you are doing wider reading. My school would forbid you to take an EPQ [high achieving selective state school] ... doesn't that tell you something?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (648)
33.52%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (820)
42.42%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.56%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.5%

Watched Threads