Language as an outside option VS commercial courses Watch

PAETZ
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hello guys

Wonder if anyone could help me. This October I will start the first year of undergraduate studies - BSc Economics. I have recently started thinking about choosing my outside option. I hesitate between some kind of further mathematics (well, that interests me) and language (French). Could anyone tell me what is the difference between a language course at the Language centre and the course taken as an outside option? More hours or anything?

Then, generally do you think that taking language as the OO is a good idea? I like mathematics, but on the other hand just one foreign language is not enough:/

Last thing: would it be wise (and possible) to switch from economics to mathematics and economics? Has anyone ever tried?:P

Looking forward to your answers, I'll have a look at them after I'm back from my mountain trip in Slovakia. peace
Timba
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd like to know about this too
FizFazFoz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gizmoleeds)
Certificate course = 2 hours per week, you don't learn that much
Really? Surely it can't be that bad, i was thinking of doing one of these.
zxczxc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You don't learn too much in the certificate courses. I know that my German went downhill after A-Level, even though I did level 4 fast track at LSE. You have no real incentive to keep up a reasonable level of effort considering it's in addition to your four degree courses, and you don't get to study literature, etc.
FizFazFoz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To those who have experience of both:

What are the class sizes for the certificate courses vs. outside options?

What are the main differences in teaching?

And if i have a an A grade in A Level French, which level of certificate course (1-5) would i be recommended to start at? The level 5 ones seem quite hard.

Thanks in advance.
RJA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do most people forget about certificate courses in the second and third year? Seems you might with the workload getting harder!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (36)
97.3%
No (1)
2.7%

Watched Threads