Man City overturned two-years ban on appeal to CAS

Watch
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi guys!

I know I am bit late with the 'news' but 1.) I was on vacation short before it happened and 2.) no one had written about it in that absence of mine so I thought I catch it up.

As surely everyone of you know that City was accused for the breach of FFP (Financial Fair Play) in the time period 2012-2016. Thus the UEFA banned City for the next two years in all European competitions. Now the CAS overturned the ban because there were "insufficient conclusive evidence to uphold all of the CFCB's conclusions in this specific case and that many of the alleged breaches were time-barred".

For the people who would like to know more details about this matter, here is a link: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53387306

What are your thoughts about the CAS' verdict? Was City just able to find a loophole in the paragraphs or were the accusations really unjustified?

barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It seems the methods used were the main issue as I understand it. I am reminded of the verdict of 'not proven' in Scottish law.

Part of my view will always be judged by a soft spot in a way for Manchester City. A friend of my sister is the step daughter of a former City player, I had a great respect for their fans not deserting them when in the third tier, and the Gallaghers support them.

I feel that a better way to have some form of level playing field is either on homegrown players (maybe including those who have been in the country playing for a long time as well) or the MLS style salary cap, where you are allowed a limited number outside this.
RaA64
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What’s occurred is bad for UEFA - questioning their credibility not only as an organisation, but also raising doubts on whether top European Clubs will create a “Super” League.

I genuinely believe Man City broke the FFP rules - and it’s disgraceful and abhorrent that Man City can get away with this because they are prosperous and can afford the best lawyers, whereas teams further down the pyramid like Bury, Wigan and Bolton have no chance to counter the ban, and hence, must accept the ban.

mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Hi guys!

I know I am bit late with the 'news' but 1.) I was on vacation short before it happened and 2.) no one had written about it in that absence of mine so I thought I catch it up.

As surely everyone of you know that City was accused for the breach of FFP (Financial Fair Play) in the time period 2012-2016. Thus the UEFA banned City for the next two years in all European competitions. Now the CAS overturned the ban because there were "insufficient conclusive evidence to uphold all of the CFCB's conclusions in this specific case and that many of the alleged breaches were time-barred".

For the people who would like to know more details about this matter, here is a link: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53387306

What are your thoughts about the CAS' verdict? Was City just able to find a loophole in the paragraphs or were the accusations really unjustified?

From everything ive read on it (not a whole lot tbh) im not surprised.

The way the evidence was more corroborative rather then definitive, wether it was even admissible given the way it was obtained was also dubious and it wasnt recent.

UEFA went about it the wrong way, if they wanted a serious punishment they should have held the sword of Damocles over city and get them to agree to a settlement (perhaps a 1 year ban and a big fine). Instead they pushed city into a corner with nothing to lose, naturally they used all there resources and blew it up.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
It seems the methods used were the main issue as I understand it. I am reminded of the verdict of 'not proven' in Scottish law.

(...)

I feel that a better way to have some form of level playing field is either on homegrown players (maybe including those who have been in the country playing for a long time as well) or the MLS style salary cap, where you are allowed a limited number outside this.
A salary cap was also discussed as solution in the past, but as far as I know it would not worked, because it is against the freedom of the market where everyone should have the freedom to negotiate the salary, something like that.

(Original post by RaA64)
What’s occurred is bad for UEFA - questioning their credibility not only as an organisation, but also raising doubts on whether top European Clubs will create a “Super” League.

I genuinely believe Man City broke the FFP rules - and it’s disgraceful and abhorrent that Man City can get away with this because they are prosperous and can afford the best lawyers, whereas teams further down the pyramid like Bury, Wigan and Bolton have no chance to counter the ban, and hence, must accept the ban.

I think that the majority think in that way as you did and I can understand your view. This verdict is a clear case of double standards, if I consider that there was a Swiss team in the past (FC Sion) which was banned from European competitions, as it had informed about a transfer activity belatedly. That is out of proportion without a doubt.

UEFA's credibility is ruined for a long while, all the more as it is said that the former general secretary of the UEFA, Gianni Infantino, gave Man City helpful informations to infiltrate the UEFA's rules legally... in my opinion the "Super" League you mentioned is just a matter of time.
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The key point in the ban is that City are not guilty which does not necessarily mean the same as innocent, only that they can’t be proven to be guilty.

Personally I think it’s the right decision. I think they probably did commit the offences looking at the emails that leaked, but banning them without concrete evidence would set a dangerous precedent. In the era of smart cyber criminals involved in corporate affairs why do we really want teams to be punished for things written on emails if it can’t be proven that the emails were genuinely sent by the person purported to be writing it? That’s a whole can of worms in and of itself that a lot of people haven’t given much consideration imo.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes they probably breached some rules. Yes they probably got away with it. Yes they have vehemently deny, with cause, that they were found not guilty.

Man City argue over the process rather than FFP. While people are quick to say FFP is dead, I don't think Man City really want that. They, with the City Football Group structure, have built an ecosystem which to a large degree can be self-sufficient. They've broken into the big boy's club with all the traditional clubs so if anything they will prefer FFP to be there now.

For example, Newcastle may be bought by new owners who are backed by the Saudi state. Man City won't want to compete with that with both having to pour in unlimited cash - FFP will stop Newcastle gate crashing quickly in the same way Man City were able to.

I think whoever gets caught out by UEFA next might be on a hiding to nothing.. UEFA cannot afford to lose the next case they bring.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For me FFP was always nothing more than the G14 trying to protect their old boys club.

When literally every UEFA punishment that is appealed gets overturned it says a lot about them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (191)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (287)
50.17%
I still don't know (94)
16.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed