The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

BSc Actuarial Science at University of Kent

I had conditional offers from Cass and Kent for BSc Actuarial Science with an year in industry. Cass being my firm and Kent insurance choice. I studied the American diploma and my AP results are now out. Unfortunately, I did not meet my requirements for Cass and they have withdrawn their offer. I however meet all my conditions for Kent and am likely to be accepted. I had always wanted to go to Cass because of its strong reputation and it being in London. Would Kent be too big a compromise ? Should I drop a year and try once again for Cass next year or even perhaps take a foundation course at Cass rather than go to Kent. Would doing a degree in actuarial from Kent versus Cass affect my employability in the future ? I am very heart broken and confused. Can anyone shed some light and guide please.
Reply 1
Can you go into clearing? I know of some other unis that offer Actuarial Science with a sandwich option if that's you want, Leeds, York, Leicester etc. If you're not so fussed about the year in industry, there is Manchester and Liverpool which are both reputable universities. I would say that Kent doesn't quite live up to CASS but I reckon Leeds, York, Manchester or Liverpool is a good compromise. If you're hell bent on going to CASS then you could take a year out to try again but there's no guarantee that you would receive another offer or meet those conditions as the competition for places will probably be higher for the 2021 intake.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by uma418
I had conditional offers from Cass and Kent for BSc Actuarial Science with an year in industry. Cass being my firm and Kent insurance choice. I studied the American diploma and my AP results are now out. Unfortunately, I did not meet my requirements for Cass and they have withdrawn their offer. I however meet all my conditions for Kent and am likely to be accepted. I had always wanted to go to Cass because of its strong reputation and it being in London. Would Kent be too big a compromise ? Should I drop a year and try once again for Cass next year or even perhaps take a foundation course at Cass rather than go to Kent. Would doing a degree in actuarial from Kent versus Cass affect my employability in the future ? I am very heart broken and confused. Can anyone shed some light and guide please.

Hey there,

My name is Connie and I am a Student Rep for the University of Kent. I have recently completed my third and final year of my BSc Marketing at the Kent Business School based on the Canterbury Campus. I understand your disappointment in not reaching your first choice university, however I would definitely encourage you to consider Kent as an option since you have been accepted which is great news!

I will quickly outline a few benefits you would gain from studying here at Kent and things to consider. First the Uni of Kent is ranked TEF Gold which proves consistently outstanding teaching is delivered, plus Mathematics at Kent scored 91% overall in The Complete University Guide 2021 with graduate prospects in Mathematics ranked 3rd in The Complete University Guide 2021! These are all great stats which should not dishearten you with regards to future employability. Second, looking at the location of the Mathematics school, based in the same building as the Business school, Sibson (https://www.kent.ac.uk/kent-business-school/facilities) is a state of the art super modern building with great teaching facilities. The lecture theatres are fully equipped and spacious, plus seminar rooms and study rooms for hire are great too! Having spent a large amount of time in Sibson over the past few years I couldn't have asked for better teaching facilities. Plus, the rest of campus is great and set in really beautiful green surroundings - my favourite space is the library since it is so huge and offers so many study spaces for both individual silent or larger group working.

As someone who lived in London I didn't want to attend a University too far from home, hence also why I selected Kent. You can get from Canterbury East to St Pancreas International in under an hour by train which means it is always so easy to travel in and out of London and the surrounding area (while benefitting from lower accommodation costs in contrast to London prices).

I appreciate you have some tricky decisions to make but I hope my quick low down has given you an idea of Kent if you are still considering it as an option. If I were you I would take time to consider what you are hoping to get out of your degree and which would be best suited to you. For example look at the individual modules which you would be taking in each year of study and see how interesting you find them as they are likely to differ based on which University you attend. Plus, if you are concerned about your employability once you graduate, University of Kent offer a year in industry option with your programme of interest which would be an amazing opportunity for your CV to stand out in future applications - this is something that is going to help you stand out and enhance job prospects as I have seen with my friends who worked with Unilever and Pfizer.

Please feel free to ask any further questions you might have surrounding your concerns with Kent. I hope this post is helpful for you.
Good luck with your next year,
Connie :smile:
Reply 3
Hi Connie,
I have just received a verbal offer in clearing from QMUL. Would it be inappropriate for me to ask you to compare Kent with QMUL for actuarial science with a year in industry.
I have had many people tell me about the locational advantage of London vis a vis Kent. But I wanted your perspective on the academic side as well.
Original post by uma418
Hi Connie,
I have just received a verbal offer in clearing from QMUL. Would it be inappropriate for me to ask you to compare Kent with QMUL for actuarial science with a year in industry.
I have had many people tell me about the locational advantage of London vis a vis Kent. But I wanted your perspective on the academic side as well.

Hello,

From an academic basis I would have to reiterate the factors I mentioned on my previous post: The Uni of Kent is ranked TEF Gold which proves consistently outstanding teaching is delivered, plus Mathematics at Kent scored 91% overall in The Complete University Guide 2021 with graduate prospects in Mathematics ranked 3rd in The Complete University Guide 2021! These are all great stats which should not dishearten you with regards to future employability. Second, looking at the location of the Mathematics school, based in the same building as the Business school, Sibson (https://www.kent.ac.uk/kent-business-school/facilities) is a state of the art super modern building with great teaching facilities. The lecture theatres are fully equipped and spacious, plus seminar rooms and study rooms for hire are great too! Having spent a large amount of time in Sibson over the past few years I couldn't have asked for better teaching facilities. Plus, the rest of campus is great and set in really beautiful green surroundings - my favourite space is the library since it is so huge and offers so many study spaces for both individual silent or larger group working.

Unfortunately since this subject is not one I have experience with it is hard for me to make an honest comparison. In which case, I would recommend getting in touch with a lecturer/ course convener of your subject and ask them their opinions and specific questions relating to your areas of interest. Please find a list of the Mathematical school page here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/mathematics-statistics-actuarial-science/people. The titles of the staff are laid out on the page for you to select a relevant staff member.

Best wishes,
Connie :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending