The Student Room Group

First car?

Hey all,

What would you get or have got as your first car?

If I may ask, have you paid outright for it or monthly?

Thank you 😊
I’m looking at monthly’s at the minute. A neat Honda Jazz(old style) can be perfect for me.

I mean my dream car is Audi A1. But that’s far too expensive. I’m not dying to buy it or saving up for it as I’m happy with whatever gets me from A-B. 😊
I’ve been looking on auto trader for quite a while. It’s good but when I enquire the cars are sold. Then they’re the ones that are cheap but are px or cat D or cat N.

I’m going to keep looking though. Thank you. 😊
Fleur Ford and then Reginald Rover (Land Rover), can't remember which I drove first.
We are still together, my relationship with them has survived longer than dating all exes. :biggrin:
Citroen c1 bought it out right second hand but sharing with a sibling. Its 2011 but does the job, gets from A to B which is what a first car should do. Dont go for anything to fancy or costly unless you have the money to do so as scratches and that are more common!

Oh and one more thing, dont go for say a 1.4L as your insurance will be sky high, mine is a Litre and is around £800-£1000
(edited 3 years ago)
I got a 2011 Ford Fiesta 1.25 as my first car, and I also got my insurance as a black box policy (I call it the spy box). Some advice for your insurance if you'd like it, but put down as many relatives with good driving history as a named driver on your policy as possible. Both my parents are on my policy and it put down the price a lot. Started at 800 last year, then it's renewed as 300 this year. Buying a car is the first part but the insurance as you might already know is another huge cost, so maybe take that into consideration when thinking of a car to get.
Original post by andrewthorne
I got a 2011 Ford Fiesta 1.25 as my first car, and I also got my insurance as a black box policy (I call it the spy box). Some advice for your insurance if you'd like it, but put down as many relatives with good driving history as a named driver on your policy as possible. Both my parents are on my policy and it put down the price a lot. Started at 800 last year, then it's renewed as 300 this year. Buying a car is the first part but the insurance as you might already know is another huge cost, so maybe take that into consideration when thinking of a car to get.

Thank you. Regarding your advice on insurance, I’ve decided not to go yearly for my insurance for multiple reasons. One being I won’t be able to put the named drivers down on my insurance as my family members won’t approve of me getting a car in the first place.

Therefore I’d go monthly on that too I believe it’s £72 for 60 days which is a month ish for insurance. I find this much better policy then the yearly one as such.

Thanks once again. 😊
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
Thank you. Regarding your advice on insurance, I’ve decided not to go yearly for my insurance for multiple reasons. One being I won’t be able to put the named drivers down on my insurance as my family members won’t approve of me getting a car in the first place.

Therefore I’d go monthly on that too I believe it’s £72 for 60 days which is a month ish for insurance. I find this much better policy then the yearly one as such.

Thanks once again. 😊

Oh I see, and that's alright. Insurance is a pain especially at the beginning but obviously the longer you have it and the longer it is of not having any claims it will get cheaper. Hopefully you'll figure out the car that's best for you, wish you luck! :smile:
2002 Rover 25. Yeah it's old but it's a bloody amazing car. Not only does it look beautiful, but it has full leather interior and completely working heaters, aircon etc. A genuine pleasure to drive, handles so well on the road, the 1.6 engine means it gets up and goes (but drives up insurance lol) I bought it myself for the princely sum £895 in cash. An absolute steal considering the condition and 55k miles.
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
Hey all,

What would you get or have got as your first car?

If I may ask, have you paid outright for it or monthly?

Thank you 😊

I'd buy something outright for your first car. Buy something cheaper to start with, like £1000-£2000. At least if you have the odd scrape then it won't matter as much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending