The Student Room Group

Moving from retail into an office job (30 year old man)

Currently working part time in retail, contracted 20 hours per week but do lots extra. Have been stuck in the same position for 10 years, I have more responsibility now but really desperate to leave. I'm nearly 30 and the thought of doing 10 hour shifts and everyone else's shifts forever fills me with dread. I want to move into an office job doing admin type work. Any tips on getting my foot in the door? I've thought about courses but want some thing sooner rather than later. An apprenticeship is another option but not sure whether I'd get one now. I've seen one being advertised which would really suit me with brilliant hours but unsure whether quitting a permanent job for something far less stable is wise at the moment. Also the pay isn't great - I want to move out of my studio flat next year into somewhere bigger. I just want something that doesn't involve customers which I've never been great with. Even doing stuff that others may consider mundane like sitting at a desk 40 hours a week would really excite and motivate me.
I would suggest taking one of the following routes.

Internships great way to get your foot in the door very competitive.

Apprenticeship lots of business will be offering these as the government will provide incentives

Degree/Vocational qualifications given the current economic job market this might be a good choice.

Recruitment agencies/temp agencies another way to land office jobs, but usually FTC contracts or temporary assignments.

Customer Service
Recruitment/Sales
Insurances.

Those are some good jobs to start out with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending