Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Got a pair of shoes that I like. They still look quite new, and are very comfy, so was gutted to find one had split along the sole.

Didn't realise until I walked past one, that you still get the odd cobbler's shop around. So, went in, took off my shoe and asked if he could re-sole it.

Apparently, new shoes have been deliberately made so that they cannot be repaired, leaving you needing new shoes. *******s! These old fashioned trades are being deliberately done away with. Does this annoy anyone else? The cobbler is just an example, there are probably hundreds of examples.

As it turned out, the guy fixed the split with some glue and a bit of grinding (:confused:), and then refused to charge me, but they won't last nearly as long as if he had managed to re-sole them.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, the giddy heights of capitalism. Wonderful, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    OP - that's really sad

My uncle owns a small jewellery shop, and I'd hate for anything to happen to it. I rely on him for free batteries for my watch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Dust)
    OP - that's really sad

My uncle owns a small jewellery shop, and I'd hate for anything to happen to it. I rely on him for free batteries for my watch!
    That'll be next, watches where you can't change the batteries.

ReputationRep:
    I would have taken them back to the original shop and complained if they were brand new and had split I'd be pretty miffed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inferiormadbeing)
    I would have taken them back to the original shop and complained if they were brand new and had split I'd be pretty miffed!
    A year old, or just under. Still, new for £70 pair of shoes.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the shops in the town centre that were there when I was a kid have all closed now and have been taken over by the bigger businesses since they just can't keep up.

Annoying since there used to be a sweet shop as a kid, one of the old ones with all the sweets in jars and man, that was awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    A year old, or just under. Still, new for £70 pair of shoes.
    Ah probably a bit unrealistic my idea then.

Still for £70 you'd expect them to last more than a year! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inferiormadbeing)
    Ah probably a bit unrealistic my idea then.

Still for £70 you'd expect them to last more than a year! :woo:
    Yup, which is why I wanted them repaired.

And yeah to the post above, I miss those sweet shops. We still have one back in my home town, but they're few and far between. Love the smell when I walk in, especially when they're making the candy at that time.

ReputationRep:
    I miss sweet shops.

It makes a visit to Beamish more exciting though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I work in a small toy shop. My boss, the founder of it, has worked there for 54 years.
    Toys'r'us and Argos are killing us

ReputationRep:
    They're killing themseleves if they're not charging their customers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    They're killing themseleves if they're not charging their customers
    You miss the point though, that type of service has always been common place in recent years. It just means that I go back when I have a decent bit to spend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    Got a pair of shoes that I like. They still look quite new, and are very comfy, so was gutted to find one had split along the sole.

Didn't realise until I walked past one, that you still get the odd cobbler's shop around. So, went in, took off my shoe and asked if he could re-sole it.

Apparently, new shoes have been deliberately made so that they cannot be repaired, leaving you needing new shoes. *******s! These old fashioned trades are being deliberately done away with. Does this annoy anyone else? The cobbler is just an example, there are probably hundreds of examples.

As it turned out, the guy fixed the split with some glue and a bit of grinding (:confused:), and then refused to charge me, but they won't last nearly as long as if he had managed to re-sole them.
    1) Why were you gutted? There are far more imporant things in life/the world to be gutted about. Seriously, stop the "me me me" business.

2) Odd cobbler shop? Well i can think of about 5 in my city alone. Cobblers DONT just FIX SHOES you know. U talk as if all cobblers can do is fix shoes. Well ill have you know, MR KNOW IT ALL, that they offer far more services.

3) You have no conclusive evidence to suggest current shoe manufacturers design their shoes in a way they cannot be repaired? Do you know how many shoe brands/manufacturers there are? DO YOU? NO I DIDNT THINK SO

4) You dont have any figures or facts to back up your statement that old trades are being done away with.

5) Hundreds of examples? ERRR I DOUBT IT.

6) I hope all the cobblers in your town/city bar you so you walk around with holes in ur shoes and all the water from puddles poors in. HAHAHAHA

:yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenssen)
    1) Why were you gutted? There are far more imporant things in life/the world to be gutted about. Seriously, stop the "me me me" business.

2) Odd cobbler shop? Well i can think of about 5 in my city alone. Cobblers DONT just FIX SHOES you know. U talk as if all cobblers can do is fix shoes. Well ill have you know, MR KNOW IT ALL, that they offer far more services.

3) You have no conclusive evidence to suggest current shoe manufacturers design their shoes in a way they cannot be repaired? Do you know how many shoe brands/manufacturers there are? DO YOU? NO I DIDNT THINK SO

4) You dont have any figures or facts to back up your statement that old trades are being done away with.

5) Hundreds of examples? ERRR I DOUBT IT.

6) I hope all the cobblers in your town/city bar you so you walk around with holes in ur shoes and all the water from puddles poors in. HAHAHAHA

:yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep:
    1) ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    1) ****
    :rofl: That'll save me replying.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell is this Svenssen guy's problem.. all he does is make rude replies to people's threads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danmccolm)
    What the hell is this Svenssen guy's problem.. all he does is make rude replies to people's threads.
    He has a small knob and needs to make up for that in any way possible.

ReputationRep:
    I bought a really expensive pair of sailing boots a couple of months back and the guy there was telling me to really take care of the soles (they're designed for gripping decks, and wear quickly when worn on hard ground) cos they've just changed the manufacturing so the soles can't be replaced. They do look less likely to develop leaks though, which is pretty crucial in boots like these!
    To be honest the most gutting thing is that I know work at another branch of the shop and could now have got them for about half the price I paid

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.