Negative essay comments Watch

This discussion is closed.
anon53
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I am first year Theology undergraduate who has received the following feedback from an essay. I'm pleased with the mark of 75%, but disappointed with the predominately negative comments. What can I do to inprove or am worrying over nothing?

Comments are:

Communication skills
Very good on the whole, with a few inaccuracies. Consistency needed in presentation of bibliography (sometimes surname placed first, sometimes the Christian name, resulting in inconsistencies when the list is put into alphabetical order)

Knowledge and understanding
You show an excellent grasp of the issues. The only room for improvement is to be more specific, e.g. when referring to his ‘opponents’ (p. 1), or to the question of the biblical basis for his ideas on original sin (p. 3).

Research skills
Extremely impressive bibliography for Level 4 work – perhaps to the point of overkill: there is no need at this level to compare different editions of the same secondary work, as you do with both Brown and Burnaby.

Analytical/critical skills
An excellent argument that is scrupulously fair and balanced and well-informed. Well done!
Reflexive
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
And what comments are negative exactly?
xxstace123xx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
errm they are good if you ask me?

Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I find the comments to be constructive, if I'm honest. Praise for each section, then a point to improve on next time. what's wrong with that?
Ed.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What's wrong with them- 75% is a good mark for a university essay and to provide feedback that is worth something those little details had to be picked up on.
MancStudent098
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I also don't really see what the problem is, the two areas of criticism (provide a consistent bibliography and be specific) seem fairly constructive and easy to achieve. I wish I got 75s and feedback that constructive for my essays.
lazza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Be thankful you get any feedback!! I have sheets back from tutors where I have been given fails with no comments as to why!!
HJV
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by anon53)
Communication skills
Very good on the whole, with a few inaccuracies. Consistency needed in presentation of bibliography (sometimes surname placed first, sometimes the Christian name, resulting in inconsistencies when the list is put into alphabetical order)

Knowledge and understanding
You show an excellent grasp of the issues. The only room for improvement is to be more specific, e.g. when referring to his ‘opponents’ (p. 1), or to the question of the biblical basis for his ideas on original sin (p. 3).

Research skills
Extremely impressive bibliography for Level 4 work – perhaps to the point of overkill: there is no need at this level to compare different editions of the same secondary work, as you do with both Brown and Burnaby.

Analytical/critical skills
An excellent argument that is scrupulously fair and balanced and well-informed. Well done!
If you think that's negative, you really need to improve on reading comprehension.
*Star*Guitar*
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MancStudent098)
I also don't really see what the problem is, the two areas of criticism (provide a consistent bibliography and be specific) seem fairly constructive and easy to achieve.
Very true, simple, essential essay skills. If you lack them, don't whinge, sort it out.
Inside
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OP is blatantly just fishing for (more) compliments. *Yawn*.
RachelBabyfrog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd love feedback like that with that mark- one of my friends got an essay back with simply 'This is ****, did you do any of the reading?'!
The Boosh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
...tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am....
Milady de Winter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Boosh)
...tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am tell me how wonderful i am....
Boosh, you are wonderful. Cheers for that rep btw
The Boosh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol well, ok yes.

oh, and you're welcome
username43584
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ummm that's not what I call negative. Just a couple of point of good constructive criticism about minor details (you're not going to cry over getting your referencing a bit wrong are you?). The most important part is the argument and you got praise indeed for it!

I think you have issues myself!
Greatleysteg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think the thread title should be changed to "ohhhh, everyone, look, give me attention, GIMME GIMME GIMME praise, I wroted a fantastical essay and think you should all know"

:rolleyes:
.ACS.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How on earth is that negative?
Sick Puppy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Reflexive)
And what comments are negative exactly?
:ditto:
History Lost in Physics
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Boosh)
Ditto methinks
Enchanté
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's just positive feedback, no negative seen here.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.14%
No (204)
72.86%

Watched Threads