The Student Room Group

Nervous about going to college at 35

I am 35 and I am starting college in September. I will be studying level 2 software development level 2.
I finished school at 16 and never really made anything of my life. I had a long addiction to drugs for which I have been clean 17 months and also was in and out prison, from that I have no people skills or any communication skills and just find it difficult to talk to people.
I really don't want this opportunity to pass me by, but I am scared that I will look out of place at college because of my age.
Does anyone have any advice about been a mature student at college and am I worrying for nothing.
Sorry for asking this.
Original post by bulldogpatch
I am 35 and I am starting college in September. I will be studying level 2 software development level 2.
I finished school at 16 and never really made anything of my life. I had a long addiction to drugs for which I have been clean 17 months and also was in and out prison, from that I have no people skills or any communication skills and just find it difficult to talk to people.
I really don't want this opportunity to pass me by, but I am scared that I will look out of place at college because of my age.
Does anyone have any advice about been a mature student at college and am I worrying for nothing.
Sorry for asking this.

first of all, a huge CONGRATULATIONSSSS for being clean for 17 months! Feeling proud even though I don't personally know you! Keep on going :smile:. Second of all, tons of people start college at later ages, you have nothing to be worried about. My friend's mum started college at 45 and she went through it fine as not everyone was the same age. I'm sure not everyone will be the same age in your class too. Plus 35 is still pretty young if you ask me! I think you should go for this opportunity with your head held high with confidence and I'm sure after settling in everything will be fine. Wishing you the best of luck!!
Reply 2
I truly feel that what you are doing is a great step to you recognizing your journey, as well as creating that path for your next steps moving forward. So many props to you :smile: Well done!! 🎉🎉👏

You are never too old or "too much of something" to get back into education. There have been individuals over the age of 40, going into their 50s and 60s, in some places, who have returned to college because of their own personal goals.

My advice is that as long as you know what you want for yourself and can see your potential, go for it and hold on to it cause you do deserve it!!
When you overthink things it can get to a place where you talk yourself out of that dream or goal for yourself. So while you have it, move forward, apply for that course, and take the first step to finding you.
Original post by Yolz121
I truly feel that what you are doing is a great step to you recognizing your journey, as well as creating that path for your next steps moving forward. So many props to you :smile: Well done!! 🎉🎉👏

You are never too old or "too much of something" to get back into education. There have been individuals over the age of 40, going into their 50s and 60s, in some places, who have returned to college because of their own personal goals.

My advice is that as long as you know what you want for yourself and can see your potential, go for it and hold on to it cause you do deserve it!!
When you overthink things it can get to a place where you talk yourself out of that dream or goal for yourself. So while you have it, move forward, apply for that course, and take the first step to finding you.

Thanks for replying.

Original post by asdasdihpi
first of all, a huge CONGRATULATIONSSSS for being clean for 17 months! Feeling proud even though I don't personally know you! Keep on going :smile:. Second of all, tons of people start college at later ages, you have nothing to be worried about. My friend's mum started college at 45 and she went through it fine as not everyone was the same age. I'm sure not everyone will be the same age in your class too. Plus 35 is still pretty young if you ask me! I think you should go for this opportunity with your head held high with confidence and I'm sure after settling in everything will be fine. Wishing you the best of luck!!

Thanks for replying.
I was on heroin since 13 so for most of my life i have just been existing and never accomplished anything. Many years of going to prison and getting clean for a month or two and repeating that cycle over and over and then finally I made the change by myself.
I feel like I have left everything a little to late in life, I know 35 isn't the oldest but it's not the youngest either.
Because of just existing in my own little bubble all them years I never really had the life of meeting friends or going anywhere and that is why I find it hard to make the first move to talk to people.
I am worried that when it comes to college am I gonna look like the oldest there, I know it shouldn't bother me.
I know I have the skills to cope on my course because one of the first things I saved up for was a laptop and told myself I am gonna become a web developer, so for the last year I have been practising getting me ready for college.
Anyway sorry for the long reply.
I have been offered a place at college and enrolment date is 26th August
Sorry for asking this.

I started my degree at Nottingham University at 27....😂 You have no reason to be ashamed... I'm starting my master at 30....😂 No one cares tbh... Younger kids are alot less concerned with your age than those of us who perceive ourselves as older. They often value your opinion and your life experience makes you appear very clever indeed.
Thanks for replying.

Thanks for replying.
I was on heroin since 13 so for most of my life i have just been existing and never accomplished anything. Many years of going to prison and getting clean for a month or two and repeating that cycle over and over and then finally I made the change by myself.
I feel like I have left everything a little to late in life, I know 35 isn't the oldest but it's not the youngest either.
Because of just existing in my own little bubble all them years I never really had the life of meeting friends or going anywhere and that is why I find it hard to make the first move to talk to people.
I am worried that when it comes to college am I gonna look like the oldest there, I know it shouldn't bother me.
I know I have the skills to cope on my course because one of the first things I saved up for was a laptop and told myself I am gonna become a web developer, so for the last year I have been practising getting me ready for college.
Anyway sorry for the long reply.
I have been offered a place at college and enrolment date is 26th August

I'm glad you finally made the change. I've been trying to break out of some bad habits myself and this motivated me to make the change myself. I feel like once you go to college, force yourself to make the first move in talking to people and hopefully depending on the person the convo will go swimmingly. If not, don't worry and keep going. Once you've had conversations with enough people, your confidence will increase and those skills will develop, you wont worry about 'making the first move' and you'll look back and wondered why you even spent precious time worrying. Good luck on the 26th <3
i did a second degree at 46 (started last year), i made friends with the other students, we have coffees and grab lunch and discuss the courses and assignments, comment on each others facebook posts.

Now, i don't actually go out drinking with them, as my idea of fun is not a rammed drinking venue in central london on a saturday night, but that is fine, i have my existing friends for that.

So i think everyone will be friendly, you may have to search out closer friends from other places, maybe something organised by the town rather than university - 5 aside footy more aimed at 30sometime workers if you see what i mean.
Reply 7
Sorry for asking this.

You'll be totally fine. There were a couple of people on my college course in their thirties and they were just as capable as anyone else on the course. Education doesn't have an age limit! Nobody at our college was bothered about the ages of anyone else - if anything it was more fun having a mix of ages in the class! Most of the time we all ended up in the pub. :biggrin:

Throw yourself in to it, see this as an opportunity to become a brand new person! That's what I did. I wasn't the most confident when I went to college and was worrying about making friends etc, but I went with the mindset of "fake it til you make it" - I took myself out of my comfort zone and forced myself to speak to everyone and portray myself as being a very confident person. By the end of the first month I had 15 new friends and actual confidence.

Best of luck to you!
Reply 8
I am 48 and starting psychology in September 😳
Hey! I'm a bit younger than you (mid-20s) but I worry about the same things (I'm hoping to go back to university in two years after I do my A levels). I got sober and came more to terms with the abuse in my childhood. Sometimes I worry about what the point is and that I'll stick out. I don't know if it's helpful for you, but I tell myself that whether I go for it or not, in five years time it'll still be five years time. This time is going to pass anyway. I (and you!) may as well do it.

Also, if you're going to college and a bit nervous about it, is there anyone in student support you can talk to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending