sunflowers334
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to become a children’s nurse, I want to do this via the Open Uni. What courses would I have to take? Bit confused what to apply for. For the Nursing degree for children I have to be in a healthcare setting which I am not currently, so i was thinking, would a Diploma of Higher Education in Health and Social Care be any use to me?
moosec
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Course-wise, assuming that you haven't been in recent study, an 'Access to HE Diploma' will be useful to give you the qualifications required to study a Nursing degree. There are Access courses in Health or in Nursing, so they give a good background to your degree as well as giving you the direct qualifications for your next step, which is higher education (some Access courses organise for you to sit GCSE-level Maths/English if you don't already have them, too. You'd need to chat with the college you're studying the Access course with if you dont have your GCSE-level Maths&English, as they're mandatory for a Nursing degree due to NMC requirements.)

The degree at the Open University, as you've rightly said, is for people already in healthcare roles. This is because your employer would work in partnership with the OU and provide your placements, unlike other universities who organise your placements for you.
If you're not already in a healthcare role, doing your Nursing degree through the OU is quite a long-winded, rather uncertain route honestly? you would need to A) secure a role as a healthcare assistant or other caring role where practice supervision & assessment is available and in line with the NMC's guidance and then B) work in that role for a while, build trust and rapport with staff/your employer and then see if your employer will agree to support you through university (which of course is down to their discretion), before you then apply to the degree.

Is there any particular reason you want to go with the OU? other universities don't require you to be already employed in a healthcare role beforehand, so that would eliminate the added steps/time that it'd take to study with the OU?
Last edited by moosec; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.15%
Excited but a bit nervous (130)
44.98%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.46%
I'm really nervous (59)
20.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise