Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you find it strange when you talk to people, and they give you no eye contact. I mean like you are facing them, but they are looking at a 45 degree angle from you. Then they occasionally turn their head to look at you.

Are they scared to look at you? Its not like you will eat them if they look at you.

This has happened to me a number of times, I find it strange.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like looking straight into the eyes of people I'm talking to, I tend to look past the face or at the floor or something with occasional eye contact - so I don't find it strange.

ReputationRep:
    Depends. If it is one of my good freinds then I will be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    i dont like it at all, i think its disrespectful and rude, if we're talking at least do me the courtesy of looking at me when you do it

ReputationRep:
    I could understand if you are kinda looking at them. But complety avoiding their body is a bit weird as if your uncomfortable looking that them. Like i saw my mate, who was doing this. I however was looking at him.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's quite rude when people don't make general eye contact with you. However, I hate it when people stare into your eyes when they're talking to you, and don't look anywhere else but your eyes! just makes me feel uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really notice tbh apart from with one of my friends, we have a habit of standing side by side looking forwards and just talking normally. God knows why, it's just our thing

ReputationRep:
    I hate making eye contact, unless the person is a really close friend or relative. I don't know why, just makes me uncomfortable. Thus I usually look beyond, and occasionally glance at thier eyes.

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the situation - I dont like looking directly at people when Im talking to them continuously because I fear I may be staring at them lol.

Also, if it's a friend over at my house (tonight for example) we were sat on the sofa both looking sort of ahead, but then we're comfortable enough in each other's company to not have to guage reactions by checking the other's body language in response to what you've just said so that may be it.

ReputationRep:
    Generally, I like to make eye contact, not just out of courtesy but also because it helps to feel engaged with the person, as Shakespeare said, windows to the soul and all of that...otherwise u might as well literally be talking to a wall. (as my mother would say). But I can understand that there can be such a thing as too much eye contact, but only if the person is particularly wide & white eyed. I think it's a natural thing. Don't think too much about it or it will be like saying a name over and over until it sounds ridiculous, or like trying to remember which side you kiss on.

ReputationRep:
    Too much is weird, too little is weird.

ReputationRep:
    I can't look in the eye, usually because I'm nervous

But I just can't do it!

I hate people that just keep staring straight into your eyes!

ReputationRep:
    Girls tend to prefer eye contact over guys. But I have noticed that people who look you in the eye are brave enough to do it. I have no problem looking into anyone's eyes. If I'm confronting someone or lying, then I can't. :p:

ReputationRep:
    When you don't even look at the person you're talking to I find it very strange. I usually just look into their eyes, then focus on things around them, then looking back at them again, every so often; rather than looking in a complete different direction.

ReputationRep:
    I feel so awkward when people don't make eye contact with me. The only time I can excuse it us when talking to some hot chick where you just have to check her out!!!

ReputationRep:
    It's quite tricky to get the amount of eye contact right once you start thinking about it. If you don't think about it, you're fine, then suddenly as soon as it comes into your conscious thought, you start panicking. Well I do anyway

It does bug me when people completely avoid my eyes though. It makes it look like they have something to hide.

ReputationRep:
    I am an Aspie, so i've always had problems with eye contact. I've sort of trained myself how to do it though. My main problems now though is sometimes i stare a little too much.

ReputationRep:
    I do it sometimes, not always intentionally though.

If I like the person, or just embarrassed by something they said. The opposite is if they're saying something that's really personal (about them or me).
    Or simply I'm just plain bored :o:

Generally though, yes eye contact is more polite. But you can usually tell if it's intentional or a habit for some people

ReputationRep:
    I once had a conversation with a girl who literally made no eye contact at all. Infact her whole face was turned away from me.

I didnt like it one bit :P

ReputationRep:
    i have that damned habit as well

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.